It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: British gas...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:38 am 

....stinks

For the umpteenth time British gas have messed things up with my account...I have a meter reader every four months as I am unable to read the meters myself.... ,so on the 21st September 2016 a meter reader came and read both the electricity/gas ,but it seem he only proffered the leccy one,why what did it do to deserve that ,this happens every blessed time,so yet another meter reader is coming next week..more cost surely ...anyone else suffer at their hands 'cos I am totally fed up with them ;thinking:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: British gas...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:55 am 

The reason is that meters are usually read by a company under contract to the energy provider, and it may well be that your gas and electricity meters are read under different contracts.

Like you, I can't read my own meters, but to save hassle with meter readers I bought a cheap selfie stick and can now use my smart phone reach up or down as appropriate, to take a close up and read the meter from the comfort of my armchair!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:26 pm 

laurie 53 wrote:

Like you, I can't read my own meters, but to save hassle with meter readers I bought a cheap selfie stick and can now use my smart phone reach up or down as appropriate, to take a close up and read the meter from the comfort of my armchair!

Here we see the benefit of being a practical man. :clapping:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:37 pm 

laurie 53 wrote:
The reason is that meters are usually read by a company under contract to the energy provider, and it may well be that your gas and electricity meters are read under different contracts.

That wouldn't be feasible for me as the electric box is almost fastened in with the conservatory furniture, and the gas box is outside on the property ,but my eyesight would not be able to read them anyway...what is this life ????

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:34 pm 

I have one of those electronic gizmos that read the meter for gas and electric paid by direct debit. We have a reader that can check if it is right AND our monthly payment just came down £20 to £70pm as we were £250 in credit.
We now get free electricity on Saturdays, so the wife does all the major wash on Saturdays and someone I know actually turns off his Gas water heating on a Saturday and uses the Emersion heater! (Bit extreme)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:09 pm 

More please TC ....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:13 pm 

I also have free electric on Sunday, you have to have a smart meter with British Gas, and this offer is going on all through winter,

sorry but I cannot moan about BG, they have always seemed alright to me,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:20 pm 

I am on their list for a smart meter :greennod:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:32 am 

If you have a Smart Meter you can bring up the current readings on that, no need to struggle to see the numbers on the actual meter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:51 am 

Also on there website you can see all what you have used what they predict your bill to be,
very good, and you don't have to have the smart meter plugged in, [mine's in the cupboard, never use it :opps: ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:37 am 

As I've posted elsewhere, it'll be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily have a smart meter.

They mad an appointment to fit one some time ago and failed to keep it.

Retired or not I have better things to do with my time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

widgetwilk wrote:
Also on there website you can see all what you have used what they predict your bill to be,
very good, and you don't have to have the smart meter plugged in, [mine's in the cupboard, never use it :opps: ]

Your smart meter is communicating with British Gas all the time.
It tells them how much energy you are using by the minute and will also tell them if someone tampers/disconnects their meter, supply cut-out and cables.
The meters are designed to give the energy suppliers total control over your supply.
They are able to charge you different prices for different times of the day/week/year and to cut you off remotely leaving you with no power if they want.
I'm not too keen on them myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:30 pm 

Agree with all that gazman, but you do not have to have it plugged in, so can't see any problem, it saves you worrying about meter readings, all it is, is a new outside meters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:35 am 

This I do not believe.....

I have had an email from them this very morning to be able to see my up to date bill online,now considering the meter reader is not due until tomorrow how has this been done,plus I have a £70 REFUND.....pardon the fairies I suppose ,what a company to deal with :f-minus:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:51 am 
Site Admin

lottie wrote:

I have had an email from them this very morning to be able to see my up to date bill online,now considering the meter reader is not due until tomorrow how has this been done,plus I have a £70 REFUND.....pardon the fairies I suppose ,what a company to deal with :f-minus:

Hmmm, companies seem to have a big dichotomy between billing and reading meters.
It is almost as if they are on different planets.
I put it down to the fragmented meter reading system we have now whereas in the past the local electricity company and area gas board all employed their own meter readers.

I've just had a £255.88 refund from my supplier, Spark Energy.
It makes a change I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:57 am 
Site Admin

widgetwilk wrote:
Agree with all that gazman, but you do not have to have it plugged in, so can't see any problem, it saves you worrying about meter readings, all it is, is a new outside meters.

The meter is switched on all the time widgetwilk.
The information you receive from the gadget they gave you (which is not plugged in) are but crumbs compared to the information they send themselves all the time.
The new meters are remotely controlled and are entirely under the control of the supplier.

I'm sure some of us have had disputes with suppliers before, I know I have, and often it takes months to sort it all out particularly when they've got it wrong.
Rub them up the wrong way and they can disconnect you in a second, right or wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:07 am 

gazman wrote:
lottie wrote:

Hmmm, companies seem to have a big dichotomy between billing and reading meters.
It is almost as if they are on different planets.
I put it down to the fragmented meter reading system we have now whereas in the past the local electricity company and area gas board all employed their own meter readers.

I've just had a £255.88 refund from my supplier, Spark Energy.
It makes a change I suppose.

Oh if only we still had the meter readers of yesteryear at least they were more conscientious ,at least the refund is on it's way ,be thankful for small mercies I suppose,just hope I don't have the same performance in three months time :f-minus:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:29 pm 

This has just got worse....

This morning I received yet another email from BG telling me that as I am due to get a refund £70 my monthly payments need to be changed from £103 to £210....PARDON I doubt that very much,so I phoned them and also asked them phone me back ...they did a very helpful young man called Adam who has once and for all has sorted all the account for me...he has sent the whole emails to their customer complaints sending it with all the other correspondence....I will get the refund and my monthly payments will be £97 !!!

If I hadn't the computer knowledge I have I suppose they would have taken the £210 ,the mind not only boggles it hurts.... :f-minus:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:08 pm 

Lottie, if you are so dissatisfied with BG's service, why don't you simply change supplier? Seems to me you have put up with their antics for far too long... :nerves:

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 pm 

Better the devil you know aardvark !!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:58 pm 

Strange, but I have been with BG for years and swear by them,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 pm 

British Gas as it is now is probably unrecognisable to what it was 'years ago'. Who actually owns it, do you know?

I was with British Gas many years back and chucked them for Scottish Power (when it was Union Energy), then when they played up by putting me on a totally unsuitable tariff, lost my custom last November. I am now with Ovo energy, and so far no complaints, although I am watching like a hawk!

I don't know why people have this old-fashioned 'loyalty' to companies that don't give a tuppeny damn about them, when there are so many alternatives to choose from.

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:30 pm 

widgetwilk wrote:
Strange, but I have been with BG for years and swear by them,

Clearly a lot of people swear at them! :sorry:

British Gas is a trading arm of Centrica. The exploration arm was a seperate entity and was sold off recently to Shell.I made a bit of money out of that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:20 pm 

If only it was clear-cut what each therm/unit costs, it might be easier to compare,
but it seems to be the first so many units are one price and the next another price,
and on the compare sites, you have to put in what you used the past year, then they say what you can save.
So, sorry, my theory is, stick with what you know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:20 pm 

Martin Lewis has the answers. If you do your comparisons using his advice you will cover almost all of the suppliers and their tariffs. And if you belong to his Cheap Energy Club email/text, you will be advised when the tariff you are on has been bested by another. Might sound complicated in the telling, but not so much in practice. You can save significant money.

http://moneysavingexpert.com

Bertrand Russell