It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone advise
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:04 pm 

Hi, I have a Olympus X-855, and excellent camera it's worked perfect for over 8 yrs but sudden the view is tinted pink. I have taken photo's which when fed into the computer also are pink tinted. So first question is it worth repairing as to age? Second can it be repaired? And last but not least should just buy a more up to date camera. I also have a Dimage A2 which is very good but bulky so the X-855 fits nicely into a pocket. Thanks in advance for any help given. Wolf

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Can someone advise
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:36 pm 

I can't find any info on that Olympus model but, if it's go white balance settings, I would check those - if in doubt, set to Auto. If it's not something as simple as that I would suggest it would be better to replace an 8 years old camera than even consider a repair. If you haven't bought a camera for a while you might be pleasantly surprised how much bang for your bucks you can get these days.

Hope that helps.

A birth certificate proves you were born, a death certificate proves you died, but a photograph proves you lived.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm 

Good advice Pogue.
Not knowing the camera I searched for Firmware update, and I wondered if your camera will take it. http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/came ... e_updates/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:46 pm 

Wlf2,
I would go along with pogue. I wrote a reply but lost it somewhere in the ether.

While looking for a camera use the A2. Worthy but hampered by slow processing. I have one in working order.
Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:27 am 

Agree with all the above comments.

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:57 pm 

OK thanks all and I think your right it has had it's day. It's just getting used to something and then having start all over again is when you get to certain age "Awesome" :lol
However now I have a Dimage A2 which I have had for sometime but never used because I had the X855. So first question and I have looked through the Manuel an ON/ OFF button. It seems to start OK but then I can't find how to shut it off, it does seem to switch off if it's left un-attended. Is that the way it shuts down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:02 pm 

Hi there Wolf.
To switch off use the same button as switching on. One press on. Second press off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 am 

skeeterah1 wrote:
Hi there Wolf.
To switch off use the same button as switching on. One press on. Second press off.

Gods Teeth Skeeterah1 I can now sleep a little easier. I tried last night to take a shot of the Moon during it's eclipse, I think I got but turning the camera off (or trying too ) at .03.00 in the morning out in the Garden was a challenge. I have started to read the Manual but why these people can't print for the old I will never know. :wink4:

Now another question. I have dumped my X-855 as I posted but need a replacement because it was so convenient for going around with and the prints were very good. Can anyone recommend a replacement I want to buy second hand if possible but am a little unsure as to what to go for. Thanks again for your help. Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:54 am 

First of all I would note down exactly what you want from the camera i.e. pocketable, simple point and shoot or more sophisticated. Then go into Jessops, or somewhere similar, and check out the price of new ones, handle whatever catches your eye, make sure the controls feel comfortable. If necessary, ask a few questions. Then when you're pretty sure of what you want come home and see if you can find it cheaper second hand online, though from my experience, unless you're going for a really sophisticated DSLR you'll find it's not worth considering used models of simpler cameras.

Hope that helps. Good luck, P

A birth certificate proves you were born, a death certificate proves you died, but a photograph proves you lived.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:33 am 

pogue wrote:
First of all I would note down exactly what you want from the camera i.e. pocketable, simple point and shoot or more sophisticated. Then go into Jessops, or somewhere similar, and check out the price of new ones, handle whatever catches your eye, make sure the controls feel comfortable. If necessary, ask a few questions. Then when you're pretty sure of what you want come home and see if you can find it cheaper second hand online, though from my experience, unless you're going for a really sophisticated DSLR you'll find it's not worth considering used models of simpler cameras.

Hope that helps. Good luck, P

Thanks pogue, that's the sort of advice I can handle. OK if your wise to the X-588 that's the sort of send camera I want. Something that can slip into a pocket but does not take a rocket scientist to understand. On the X-588 it had a dial which one could choose Landscape-Portrait etc., that would be handy. In fact I found the X588 so convenient it's a shame they stopped making it but at it's age now it's well past it's sale by date.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 pm 

Not guaranteeing this one BUT. Have a look at Amazon for Canon Powershot A1200 very pocketable with eye level view finder.Has similar control you mention and takes AA batteries. This on is second hand at £165, But do a little research before buying. I have one sitting in front of me. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:45 pm 

Ignore my last post. Plenty more on Amazon new at the same price. :sorry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:59 pm 

How about this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-PowerSh ... 3ab2a041e0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:20 pm 

Do you want a viewfinder, the Fuji and Panasonic ranges do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:22 pm 

Nelson wrote:
Do you want a viewfinder, the Fuji and Panasonic ranges do.

So does the Canon mentioned above. :whathesaid:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:29 pm 

OK I have taken the advice and will now buy New. So I have looked and came across this one any thoughts, please Wolf

Sony DSCW800 Digital Camera - Silver + Case and 8GB Memory Card (20.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:32 pm 

S'pose it's all down to how much it is and how much you want to pay. Personally, I would go for the one Skeet suggested, at the price I found. It looks a bit more robust, with a viewfinder (very handy in strong sunlight) but, it's your money and your choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:32 pm 

pogue wrote:
S'pose it's all down to how much it is and how much you want to pay. Personally, I would go for the one Skeet suggested, at the price I found. It looks a bit more robust, with a viewfinder (very handy in strong sunlight) but, it's your money and your choice.

OK I have ordered the Canon. Thank a bundle everyone I know where to come to for expert advice in future. Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:01 am 

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it but, if you're not it's Skeet's fault. :laughitup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am 

pogue wrote:
I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it but, if you're not it's Skeet's fault. :laughitup:

I have always had one rule, follow the experts until you become better then them. I am sure I will find the choice as I wanted, allowing I am no David Bailey. :laughitup: It's just a question when you get advanced in years any change even for the better is sometimes to be resisted :happy: As a second of no importance I have found a company where I get neg's and film developed www.photofilmprocessing.co.uk first class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:13 pm 

One last question. I have purchased the Camera and when I checked it had no Memory card. When buying a camera is it normal to purchase ( in this case on line) the camera supplied without a Memory card? In fact when received I did go back to the supplier but after waiting for a few days for a reply gave up and bought a Memory card from Amazon, still waiting for it to be delivered which means I have no idea as yet whether the camera works. The supplier final got back and stated that no memory card was mentioned in the advert but then again it did not state it was not to be supplied.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm 

Wlf.
It would be unusual for a camera to come with a card. Most people will have one from the previous camera.
What type of card did you have in the Minolta? If it was an SD card then that should be suitable for your new camera. Just plug it in and try it, then go to the menu and formT THE CARD,
if YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE MENU, GIVE A POST AND I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:24 am 

skeeterah1 wrote:
Wlf.
It would be unusual for a camera to come with a card. Most people will have one from the previous camera.
What type of card did you have in the Minolta? If it was an SD card then that should be suitable for your new camera. Just plug it in and try it, then go to the menu and formT THE CARD,
if YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE MENU, GIVE A POST AND I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH.

Thank you kindly for your reply. I must confess when, before I have purchased a camera the memory card was never a problem because it was included. OK I have checked the Olympus card I used in X855 and it will not fit. But that has added to my knowledge so again thank you and I am learning :lol
Will be in touch ASAP when the new card arrives. I now have to offer apologies as to the company that supplied the camera after giving them a fairly rough time with regards this missing card. Thanks again I shall in future check with these good offices before Buy or any other problems I find as to camera's. Thank you again Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:27 am 

You are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:36 pm 

If the card is being supplied with the camera it's usually listed as an added extra, as it is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Lum ... 51d69ffe05