Please Contribute to My Fund.

Current Affairs, Religion and Politics - as before. Please refrain from personal attacks on members who may hold a different viewpoint from you. Don't Rock the Boat!
laurie 53

Please Contribute to My Fund.

Post by laurie 53 »

I'm setting up a fund to help those poor people in London who have to travel all the way to County Durham to get emergency child care!

whipitquick

Re: Please Contribute to My Fund.

Post by whipitquick »

Yes what a good idea?
My mate met Steve Coogan last time he went.

A word to the wise isn't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

cummings.jpg
cummings.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 306 times
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

king edward

Post by king edward »

Firstly, the Downing Street statement was probably written by Cummings and so is pretty well worthless.
Secondly, the story about what he did is confused but seems to say he drove to County Durham from London while developing Covid-19 which is foolhardy to say the least let alone downright irresponsible.
Thirdly, if the SAGE member had to be sacked for visiting his girlfriend which was a pretty trivial and safe state of affairs (ha ha!), why should Cummings not also be sacked?
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

I take it you will not be contributing to Laurie's fund, KE?
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Perhaps Charles and Camilla would contribute, seeing as they left London too and pitched up in Aberdeenshire, against guidelines. While so many others abided by what they were told, to minimise spread of the virus!

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

king edward wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:43 pm
Firstly, the Downing Street statement was probably written by Cummings and so is pretty well worthless.
Secondly, the story about what he did is confused but seems to say he drove to County Durham from London while developing Covid-19 which is foolhardy to say the least let alone downright irresponsible.
Thirdly, if the SAGE member had to be sacked for visiting his girlfriend which was a pretty trivial and safe state of affairs (ha ha!), why should Cummings not also be sacked?
Looks like they travelled while at least one was symptomatic. The rules state that anyone with symptoms should remain at home for at least 7 days and housemates for 14 (unless taken to hospital of course.) Did they stop off anywhere I wonder - petrol, loo, food?

The police have confirmed they went to the property and gave advice to someone to pass on.

Downlander

Post by Downlander »

I note today's press briefing consisted almost solely of questions on this topic, mostly the same questions being repeated time and again.

I think at the moment the country and it's leaders have rather more pressing topics to consider.
You Are What You Think.....
Not What You Think You Are.....

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

I was on a walk so missed it today.

Isn't the issue that we have someone who makes the rules for others to follow, breaking them himself?

It's hypocrisy, double standards and undermines the health advice. People who don't want to follow the guidelines will seize on it as a reason to defy the police. Why should I, if they don't have to.

When Neil Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood were caught doing this, they had to quit their positions for this reason.

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

I can fully understand why he did it. I'll put my hard hat on.

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

But he's supposed to set an example surely. Guidelines state stay at home if you have symptoms. Driving long distances was also not allowed then.

If he was well enough to tackle a drive of hours safely, he wasn't too ill to look after a child in London. If they needed help later are we really saying there was no one locally who could have helped.

People have died alone from this virus, their family following the rules Cummings helped to write. Yet his political allies are finding excuses for him, while telling others to do as they say.

king edward

Post by king edward »

i always expect some bo****ks from the Tories trying to justify themselves but the amount of sophistry I have heard today is astonishing. Then we get the Twitter campaign of support by lkesser MPs, ordered by the Whips and so meaningless and not unanimous from what I read.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

Lighthouse wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 pm
Perhaps Charles and Camilla would contribute, seeing as they left London too and pitched up in Aberdeenshire, against guidelines. While so many others abided by what they were told, to minimise spread of the virus!
The local press must have missed that.

They reported that he and Camille were already at Birkhall, on holiday, before lockdown was imposed, when he became unwell and was tested, and confirmed, at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Looks like he travelled to Scotland while symptomatic.

The duke and duchess arrived in Scotland on Sunday. Charles had been displaying mild symptoms over the weekend and was tested by the NHS in Aberdeenshire on Monday.

The results came through on Tuesday night, showing he was positive.
(Royal Correspondent BBC on 26 March)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845

Questions have also been raised about why the Prince was allowed to travel to Scotland after he had started to show mild symptoms.

People have been urged not to use second homes or holiday lets in remote parts of Scotland for self-isolation, as this can add extra pressure to local health services.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she did not want to comment on the specific case of the Prince, but added: "We want people to behave responsibly, we don't want people to see the Highlands and islands of our country as places where they can outrun the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52049039

Not sure how local press covered it.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

There might be a more sympathetic hearing for Cummings if he weren't so obnoxious and belligerent in his dealings with the press . "I did what I thought best for my family" would go down much better that " I don't care how it looks and your opinion doesn't matter"
I guess he's bulletproof , like the prat who keeps claiming that his slaver's manor at Eye is his primary home when he represents Newark and his children go the school in London. The Marches don't want his London virus any more than Durham wants Dominic's

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

Lighthouse

I'm not going go through your points one by one, but the one you make about confirmation by the NHS supports my view.

Once locdown restrictions were in place, and remember in some respects Scotland was later than England, as it still is, no-one was tested in hospital until they had been admitted, that was an inherent weakness in the Scottish infection figures for some weeks.

Like you, I only know what has been reported, but the only firm question I have seen up here was why did the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay, as they are known locally, use NHS testing, which was still available at the time, when they could have used private facilities.

Anya

Post by Anya »

A difficult one. One parent possibly ill with the coronavirus, the other parent likely to catch it. A four year old child, who MUST be a priority.

If both parents had become ill, I imagine they have enough money to pay a carer, ideally one who had recovered from the virus.

king edward

Post by king edward »

The whole excuse falls apart when the second visit is taken into account which is why today we see Tory backbenchers hastily deleting yesterday's cut and pasted tweets of support.

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

laurie 53 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:37 am
...why did the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay, as they are known locally, use NHS testing, which was still available at the time, when they could have used private facilities.
Maybe they thought it would be a bad look to leapfrog the public by getting private tests, I don't know.

Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Cummings is still hanging on, although pressure is mounting from inside the Tory party for him to go. Several MPs openly calling for him to quit.

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

What's the betting he'll survive? Or if he does go, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger, he'll be back.
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

king edward

Post by king edward »

It looks lie the defence is going to be The Guardian and Mirror are lying and he only went to County Durham once. The trouble with that tactic is Cummings is about as recognisable a person as you could find and Johnson never knowingly tells the truth.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

Are the police issued with a list of vehicles that can't be challenged?
He crossed so many force areas without apparently being noticed , as does Jernick in reaching Eye , that collusion appears likely . At that time people were bring stopped just for having out of county plates

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

Having seen Boris's lame performance today , is any one else wondering just how much dirt Cummings has on Boris's past that earns him such blind support?
It seems a pity that it wasn't a younger person who saw him in Barnards Castle , the proof would probably be all over the web