How to pass the time?

For General Chat about anything and everything.
gazman
Site Admin

Re: How to pass the time?

Post by gazman »

Can't believe the rubbish on TV.
Anything worth watching I've seen before so many times within the first 5 seconds of seeing it I can recall the ending.

BTW if you use the browser called Brave you will not see any adverts on Youtube whatsoever.
https://brave.com/?ref=dat003
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Anya

Post by Anya »

When we lived in London friend down the road had five boys, one a year, regular as clockwork and then one girl. Really lovely little boys, talk about a little princess.

After that I imagine they finally understood what was causing it and had no more.
:smiles:

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

etcetera wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:49 pm
Another one I love is Waldemar Januszczak the art commentator! You get his art docs a lot on BBC4. The one on American Art is unmissable.
I caught another hour's programme last night by Waldemar (The Renaissance Unchained). What a joy the man is! I have a smile on my face the whole time I'm watching him! :happy:

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqQfav9btI

Something for those of you who like a bit of an adventure.
The sort of thing I used to do as a boy.
Heaven only knows what my mother would have said if I'd told her.
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

It's absolutely amazing what you can find on YouTube!

Couple of days ago, I was remembering a rather good film I saw years ago, 'Grand Prix' about motor racing. Stars the rather wooden-faced James Garner. It's a 1966 film with fairly standard (and predictable) plot, but with some fantastic motor racing shots. So I looked for it on youTube - and it was there! All 3 hours of it! In good quality too.
I've got one of those little Roku sticks that you shove into the back of your TV and it picks up stuff from the internet (All BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and YouTube) so you can watch on it TV. Really enjoyed Grand Prix the other evening!
(Here's the link if you remember the film... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKUtDQsk_4 )

You can find a lot on YouTube. There's all the episodes of Terry Nation's Blake's Seven which I've got lined up to watch.

There's another old series (1975) I'm watching, don't know if you remember it, also written by Terry Nation, called "Survivors" ...which is very relevant to events today! It's about a lethal pandemic that sweeps round the world, killing millions. In one scene, there's an exhausted doctor with rows of hospital beds full of dying patients behind him, and he's telling one of the main characters, "It's not flu..." I was vividly reminded of a Sky News documentary by Stuart Ramsey that I saw a few days ago about the Covid 19 in Italy - in it was a similar exhausted doctor, a similar row of patients on ventilators in the background, and the doctor was telling Ramsey, "It's not flu..." Chilling.

(Survivors. Not very good quality, but watchable. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 49v0qD3q3Z )
Image Don't stop doing things because you are getting old.... as you will only get old if you stop doing things.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Agree about YouTube. Occasionally I fancy seeing some ancient filum or prog I remember from way back and almost always there they are, right on my big android telly screen. Even the quality is often reasonable.

As a child, I was mesmerised by the BBC Forsyte Saga, all twenty-six superb episodes of it, especially Eric Porter, a human master-class. Who knew he was a singer and a hoofer, as well? A few years ago Honourable Number One Son surprised me with the full box set. I was told it was one of the first series in colour, to celebrate the newly introduced BBC-TWO?

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

I suspect that the waste pipe from the showers lacks an S bend, because strange creatures gather under the grill and stare up at you during ablutions.
Barney... :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup:

Did you write that stuff? It's hilarious...
Image Don't stop doing things because you are getting old.... as you will only get old if you stop doing things.

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

Barney - if you've got any more like that from your diaries, please post them. Start a new thread for them - we could all do with a laugh in these difficult days.

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

Shopping these days has become increasingly difficult.

This appeared on one of our local Facebook groups yesterday...
tesco.jpg
tesco.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 111 times
John Wood
Caterham on the Hill

A warning to all: avoid using Tesco in Caterham at the moment if you can.
I've just got back from a truly awful shopping trip there.
Having queued up, patiently and socially distancing, as I neared the entrance a shop worker clipped a carabena onto the belt loop of my jeans, my perplexed expression must have said it all as she explained that whilst people are distancing in the queue outside, they aren't distancing once inside the store.
So what some dumbo has dreamt up is to rope 6 or so customers together with 2m lengh of rope between each of us! WTF?!
Well these are strange times and with the threat of a second wave of infection I thought I'd best not complain and just toe the line (or perhaps ‘tow’ the line would be more appropriate!).
I'm telling you now, what an absolutely idiotic idea this is. We negotiated our way in to the shop, some with trolleys and others trying to grab a basket before the berserk conga line drags them away.
I was near the middle of the rope picking up some veg, the woman at the front, who was trussed up like a kid in a harness was trying to drag the whole line to the apples and the bloke at the back trying to pull the other way to get his hands on last weeks courgettes which were now this weeks courgette offer.
It was like tug-of-war for the deranged.
It's embarrassing to say, but I lost it, started ranting and raving about the rope and how the hell are people meant to shop like this, I went to unclip the carabena which miraculously brought the attention of the staff who told me I'd be asked to leave the shop if I unclipped. "FFS we're not rock climbing, we're trying to buy cheese" are words which I'll carry with me to my grave.
Strangely this outburst had the effect of bringing our train together as a team.
We carried on now with lots of communication, people passing stuff along the line to other to fill their baskets. Now I know passing things to one another could spread the infection as much as person to person contact but I honestly think if we hadn't have done, I'd still be there now.
As we started along the aisle I generally refer to as "biscuits and creosote", it was clear from the melée that all was not well in the adjacent aisle. As far as I could tell there had been 2 trains of people and a lady in the middle of one chain had ducked under the other to get her hands on a pop-art cat bed. The tangle had resulted in a multi-pedestran pile up in which the epicentre resembled the deity Durga, it wasn't clear how long they'd been there but one old chap was trying to free himself by feverishly sawing at the rope with his house keys.
We navigated the remaining aisles without major trauma, other than having to rescue Doreen (2nd in line) after she fell in the chest freezer trying to reach the last beef Wellington. We were individually unclipped prior to the till, at which point any camaraderie we'd had quickly evaporated as everyone scrambled for the first available till.
With the ordeal still impeding rational thought, it was a welcome and familiar sight to have the check out throw all my shopping on the floor in the normal 1000mph fashion. I really did not appreciate being strung along like that, but I hope you were! 😆😆
And if you really want to be entertained, wait for the comments from those who dont read the whole thing! 🤷‍♀️

Star

Post by Star »

Oh don't! She said, laughing hysterically at this thread. :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup: :madclap: :madclap: :madclap:

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

"FFS we're not rock climbing, we're trying to buy cheese" are words which I'll carry with me to my grave.
The tangle had resulted in a multi-pedestran pile up in which the epicentre resembled the deity Durga
:laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup: I'm still laughing at all this!! Thanks Sky - we want more!

Maywalk

Post by Maywalk »

That is the funniest thing I have read today.
Thanks Skyrunner it has helped the meds go down. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Funny, it also appeared on my local Facebook group page a few days ago, but the shop was Aldi Gillingham.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attr. Edmund Burke

http://www.aardisden.co.uk/

Ciderman

Post by Ciderman »

All sounds very wise- as long as you're crazy! :happy:
Civilisation is a veneer , easily soluble in alcohol.

Badger

Post by Badger »

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe . . . just maybe . . . this story is not really true. :thinking2:
Every cultivated man has two countries: his own and France

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

Yes Badger. There have been no carabiner wielding, reflective jacket wearing zealots outside my local Tesco. Indeed the sensible measures they have brought in, are very good. Sometimes there are long queues waiting to get in but I now know the best times to go and avoid any queues. Having said that, really enjoyed Sky's post, imagined the scenes in my own Tesco, had this been fact. Only 7 minutes walk away, it's my corner shop.
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Badger

Post by Badger »

But it must be true -- it's on the internet. I shall go and have a nice lie-down. :nerves:
Every cultivated man has two countries: his own and France

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

Skyrunner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 pm
It's absolutely amazing what you can find on YouTube!

Couple of days ago, I was remembering a rather good film I saw years ago, 'Grand Prix' about motor racing. Stars the rather wooden-faced James Garner. It's a 1966 film with fairly standard (and predictable) plot, but with some fantastic motor racing shots. So I looked for it on youTube - and it was there! All 3 hours of it! In good quality too.
I've got one of those little Roku sticks that you shove into the back of your TV and it picks up stuff from the internet (All BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and YouTube) so you can watch on it TV. Really enjoyed Grand Prix the other evening!
(Here's the link if you remember the film... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKUtDQsk_4 )

You can find a lot on YouTube. There's all the episodes of Terry Nation's Blake's Seven which I've got lined up to watch.

There's another old series (1975) I'm watching, don't know if you remember it, also written by Terry Nation, called "Survivors" ...which is very relevant to events today! It's about a lethal pandemic that sweeps round the world, killing millions. In one scene, there's an exhausted doctor with rows of hospital beds full of dying patients behind him, and he's telling one of the main characters, "It's not flu..." I was vividly reminded of a Sky News documentary by Stuart Ramsey that I saw a few days ago about the Covid 19 in Italy - in it was a similar exhausted doctor, a similar row of patients on ventilators in the background, and the doctor was telling Ramsey, "It's not flu..." Chilling.

(Survivors. Not very good quality, but watchable. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 49v0qD3q3Z )
Watching Survivors upto episode 3 yesterday, 21 more to go.
Immediately after watching the first episode there was a loud knocking on our front door.
I initially looked around for weapons before answering it.

Star

Post by Star »

Watching Survivors upto episode 3 yesterday, 21 more to go.
Immediately after watching the first episode there was a loud knocking on our front door.
I initially looked around for weapons before answering it.

Oh don't! :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup: :madclap: :madclap: :madclap:

Anya

Post by Anya »

Local recycle centre opened, we gave them a week for the initial panic to subside and popped in early this morning with a car full of garden waste and prunings that are beyond the compost bins. There was only one car in front.