How to pass the time?

For General Chat about anything and everything.
Badger

How to pass the time?

Post by Badger »

Are we now past Phase 1 of this crisis, the one where the hunt for toilet rolls became the national sport for a while?
In Phase 2, self isolation in the case of most codgers, all many of us have to do now is sit on our arrases and keep our fingers crossed until it all blows over.
Now then, we have to ask "What do we do with all the time?" On here of course we have the other national sport -- winding up Laurie -- but what else are you doing?
In my case, right now it's the box set of Hilary Mantel's splendid Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies, a steal on Amazon at some seven quid. That plus my old set of Simon Schama's A History of Britain to remind me what all that unrelentingly savage Tudor stuff was about.
So -- what are you doing?
Last edited by Badger on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Every cultivated man has two countries: his own and France

Stormy
Site Admin

Re: How to pass the time?

Post by Stormy »

Spending time in the garden. By the time I'm done, not a single weed will be visible anywhere!
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Badger

Post by Badger »

Lady B does that -- I wouldn't be trusted. I cook, and she regards it as a good deal.
Oh -- and I have every epsiode, over the years, of Columbo. Heaven.
One thing, though -- where the hell would we have been without the internet, something the earlier epidemics lacked?
Last edited by Badger on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

Yes, I've set myself several tasks to put my mind off things and escape the feeling of being trapped.
For years I've tolerated car spares piled up next to my vehicles under tarpaulins that I bought in a somewhat rash moment when an opportunity arose.
I've decided to dismantle them (front and rear axles complete with all fittings, old engine, a massive steel rope engine driven winch and a serviceable spare gearbox) and store the pieces in one of my sheds.
I also MUST repaint the house windows and doors this year.
The shower room needs the ceiling re-papered and painted.... since I accidentally left the shower running (no window open) and wall heater on and then completely forgot all about it for over 6 hours!!!! (that was more than 4 years ago)

So far over the last 2 weeks I've almost completely dismantled the 2 axles. They are massive lumps of iron and almost all the bolts haven't been touched for decades.
This morning I gave the bidet a general service comprising clean and seal the taps, trap and spray/fill selector. This is a hard water area and the crud builds up all around the chrome fittings. I use hydrochloric acid (brick cleaner) to do the job.

I was hoping that my Screwfix parcel would have arrived by now.
Yesterday I bought a new TV aerial to replace the one that has been damaged by the winds and pigeons.
I could have fitted it by now.
Another job to do.
Luckily I use a satellite dish for my main Freesat TV.
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Badger

Post by Badger »

Gazman, is it like a jigsaw? You know -- when you've taken them all apart, you jumble the bits before building it again.
And I'm intrigued as to how pigeons can bugger up an aerial -- holding hands and jumping on it? Are you sure they're not vultures? :thinking2:

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Can I join in??? I have been out in the garden pulling up weeds and grass where there should not be any, feel quite pleased and satisfied, just wish my back was not so knackered.
Am now going to knit my son a tea cosy, [he said he wanted one!!]
I also love jigsaws, always have one going, the harder the better, love the Wasjig ones, just about to put a potatoe in the over and turn the TV on, not the news bit, can't watch that anymore.
Take care everyone and try and keep safe and sane.

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

I love Simon Schama, Badger, never used to miss his docus on TV; haven't seen him there for a while now though. When he talks, he uses his whole body! Another one I love is Waldemar Januszczak the art commentator! You get his art docs a lot on BBC4. The one on American Art is unmissable.

Badger

Post by Badger »

widgetwilk wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:43 pm
. . .just about to put a potatoe in the over and turn the TV on, not the news bit, can't watch that anymore.
Take care everyone and try and keep safe and sane.
I know exactly what you mean, Widget. I've even given up reading most of the news in the paper -- the main thing being the cryptic crossword -- and no longer switch on the constantly nit-picking BBC who, with 20/20 hindsight, would have done everything so much better.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

No cleaner for a few weeks at least so I'll be doing most of that . It'll take me a couple of days to do what she can do in 3 hours . It's the showers that give me problems, the doors are a bit narrow on two of them
Otherwise I'm trying to reorganise things to suit me rather than my late wife and watching TV selectively

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

I have posted a link to the online quiz that will take place tonight and every Thursday thereafter if it takes off.

Gareth Malone is starting up a virtual choir every day at 5.30pm, he has over 100,000 punters! I will be having a look at that.

There's plenty of exercise videos on Youtube. I like the British Heart Foundation 10 minute workout.

Cooking and freezing.

De-cluttering when I'm in the mood.

Watching my bluebells grow.

TV, god bless it! Internet, god bless it, umpteen phone calls.

Sleep.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attr. Edmund Burke

http://www.aardisden.co.uk/

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

I have spent the afternoon .... watching & listening to a feud going on in the house next door, very entertaining! It's a housing association house - all four floors of it! - and the tenants just don't get on. Access to the garden is a big issue & one of them threatened another with a sledgehammer!! :shock: The police were called in. Never a dull moment! :P
Continued in the thrilling next....

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

I'm intrigued as to how pigeons can bugger up an aerial -- holding hands and jumping on it?
They crap on it...
Image Don't stop doing things because you are getting old.... as you will only get old if you stop doing things.

Blarney

Post by Blarney »

Going through me old diaries.

Monday 10th July 1989.

Julia Creek Caravan Park. “Rain?” said the old guy who looks after this caravan park. “Rain? It hasn’t rained properly in this place since 1974. Oh, we’ve had the odd storm since then, but not enough to lay the dust.”

We told him we’d seen signs of a rainfall along the sides of the road from Cloncurry.

“Sure, we had seven drops during the night, but that’s not rain. In ’74 the water came up to the bitumen,” he waved vaguely in a Westerly direction. “The creek was a mile wide, and 28 feet deep in the middle.”

He started to warm to the subject. “I was shearing between bouts as a fencing contractor at the time,” he reminisced. “Fella flew in in his helicopter from Auckland Station, out towards the Gulf, asked if I’d fix his telephone line - he had grandkids out there, wanted to make sure he could talk to someone. Well, you could sail from here to the Gulf, no worries about that, so me and me mate set off in a motor boat, fixed most of the poles that were down, but didn’t have a hope of finishing it that day. So we sailed up to the shearing shed, tied up to the top of the verandah, and out comes Mick Danaher, who was stranded there.

“C’mon in, Mate, yer just in time for tea,” sez Mick, so in we goes, and he’s got his dogs sitting on the flamin’ seats watching the bloody T.V. I had a close look at the dogs, an’ I sez to Mick, “Tell you what, Mate, them hounds don’t look as if they’re enjoying that serial much.”

“Damned right”, sez Mick, “yet the funny thing is, they enjoyed the book immensely.”

And with a great cackle of laughter he wandered back to the box that served as his office.

A chap enquired of him about firewood for the barbecue.

“Just over there is a pile of gydye,” he told him. “Ever seen gidye? They write poems about it, you know. Burns like a shit-house on fire.”

It’s good he can be so positive. The caravan park is a dust bowl, with here and there some scrawny grass poking through. The water coming out of the taps is warm, and when anyone uses the single washing machine, it sounds very close to the noise made by a helicopter with rotor problems; one instinctively ducks, expecting the washer to rise straight up and fly overhead. The fencing is dilapidated, and has fallen down completely in one place, allowing patrons to drive straight out on to the street. I suspect that the waste pipe from the showers lacks an S bend, because strange creatures gather under the grill and stare up at you during ablutions. Still, it’s cheap; only $8 the night for the 3 of us, and that’s with electricity. A ride on the washing machine is extra.

The old fella told Ena he turned 77 on the 7th day of the 7th month.
END

And there's heaps more of them ...... in those days I must have had a lot of time on me hands.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Gentle breezes and ill winds.

How to pass the time is not one of my problems. I work from home anyway and could make a fortune, at the moment, if I were prepared to work twelve hours a day, seven days a week. Which I am not.

Always an ill wind, ennit?

Badger

Re: How to pass the ti

Post by Badger »

If it's online stuff and not confidential you perhaps subcontract.
Right now I'm ghost-writing a student's dissertation for him. Well, knocking it into shape with decent organisation, grammar, spelling, etc. The presentational stuff only -- the research, for better or worse, is his own.
But oh dear, his literacy! What the stuff are our schools turning out of the Sixth Forms these days?

Scotston

Post by Scotston »

Badger wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am

Right now I'm ghost-writing a student's dissertation for him. Well, knocking it into shape with decent organisation, grammar, spelling, etc. The presentational stuff only -- the research, for better or worse, is his own.
But oh dear, his literacy! What the stuff are our schools turning out of the Sixth Forms these days?
:thinking2: :thinking2:

Perhaps if you could find a copy of FIRST AID IN ENGLISH and present it to the English dept. in the local comp. school, the problem could slowly be resolved. It could take some of the staff back to teaching the basics e.g singulars and plurals of nouns and verbs. . . . . The book must surely be around somewhere.

This is just a passing thought as I sit here marooned, as it were, in my home.
Beware!! Chinese virus

Anya

Post by Anya »

Fully concur with people being told, in NO uncertain terms, NOT to travel to second homes. From London and cities, bringing the virus with them and spreading it to local shops .

Second homes should be BANNED !!! In a crowded country, where many people cannot aspire to own one home of their own and have to pay somebody else's mortgage, all their lives.

But less clear to me why local people cannot drive a few miles to open spaces? As long as they keep a sensible distance?

tuesdays child

Post by tuesdays child »

Has anyone actually "Got" the Lurgy? Or, anyone notice who has not posted much lately?
Starting on the front garden tomorrow.

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

Just severely trimmed a pyracantha hedge, the wind was blowing it about somewhat alarmingly first thing this morning.

Other things I do?

I often watch Youtube videos.
There is a plethora of choice.
For instance: (tend to be man stuff)
For ex Londoners

or more continental

or for those of a more adventurous nature :)

or (reminds me of the sort of thing I used to do to escape boarding school)

or for the motorist who appreciates how well they drive in comparison

What do other people watch?
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Badger

Post by Badger »

Anya wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:12 pm
Fully concur with people being told, in NO uncertain terms, NOT to travel to second homes. From London and cities, bringing the virus with them and spreading it to local shops .

Second homes should be BANNED !!! In a crowded country, where many people cannot aspire to own one home of their own and have to pay somebody else's mortgage, all their lives.

But less clear to me why local people cannot drive a few miles to open spaces? As long as they keep a sensible distance?
Anya, it's because they could transfer the bug to what could be an as yet uninfected region -- human-to-human contact is not always necessary. You need only contaminate something -- or perhaps even be bitten by some insect (seems unlikely, but we do not yet know for certain) -- in that region for it to be passed on. The bolt on a distant field gate?
For a quick primer in basic epidemiology, see Google on fomites and vectors at
https://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=f ... as_rights=
No-one yet knows what part they may play in coronavirus transmission. Over sixty years since I struggled with them, but still relevant.

Badger

Post by Badger »

Scotston wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:15 pm
Badger wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am

:thinking2: :thinking2:

Perhaps if you could find a copy of FIRST AID IN ENGLISH and present it to the English dept. in the local comp. school, the problem could slowly be resolved. It could take some of the staff back to teaching the basics e.g singulars and plurals of nouns and verbs. . . . . The book must surely be around somewhere.

This is just a passing thought as I sit here marooned, as it were, in my home.
I don't know that one, but I'll look out for it for my granddaughters. Thanks. I'm more Fowler's Modern English Usage myself, even if it does date me.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

When I was doing a Btech (that's Bachelor of Technology) course a module on English and Report Writing was compulsory in the first year . My son tells me he had to fit one in with a double honours course over 30 years ago . All the evidence is that such things are in the past
Our required text was "The Complete Plain Words"

Badger

Post by Badger »

Ernest Gowers, and now a classic.

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Just been gardening, got a perfect looking garden, but got no visiters,
loved the You Tube, some were a bit long and boring, cleaning the drain was interesting, :happy:

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

I'm presently watching Ashes to Ashes, with Phillip Glenister & Keely Hawes. It's very entertaining. Drama channel.