Why Toilet Rolls?

For General Chat about anything and everything.
aardvaark

Re: Why Toilet Rolls?

Post by aardvaark »

The Romans used a sponge on a stick. But they had slaves to wash them out ... we don't want to go back to that. :shock:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attr. Edmund Burke

http://www.aardisden.co.uk/

mary

Post by mary »

I would let Russel Crowe wash me anytime in his gladiator out fit. :wow:

Badger

Post by Badger »

Does he have his name on the outfit, upside-down? :happy:
Every cultivated man has two countries: his own and France

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

I was talking to a couple of the staff while waiting for my MOT last week . They were talking about shortages of sanitising wipes for the car steering wheels etc and , incidentally , loo rolls
Flippantly I said "We keep the grass cut too short and dig out all the docks" . The older lady said "It wouldn't be the first time I'd used a dock leaf" , the younger looked as if she wouldn't know what a dock leaf was

CODGER THE CONFUSED

Post by CODGER THE CONFUSED »

Well at least I should be safe. I'm assured that my antivirus software. Can cope with any virus. :sorry: :vomit: Or maybe not?

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

CODGER THE CONFUSED wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:44 am
Well at least I should be safe. I'm assured that my antivirus software. Can cope with any virus.
And according to the ads, Domestos kills all known germs!

Badger

Post by Badger »

Badger wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm
What really, really gets up my nose is outfits like BT and supermarkets flooding my inbox with messages telling me that things are difficult right now (now there's a surprise), how they are nevertheless coping splendidly though (yet failing to send me little luxuries like bread and bog rolls), and somewhere a spiel about how wonderful they are and how much they deeply, deeply, care about my welfare . . . if they have staff and resources for this crap, there's no problem.
Pi$$ off, all of you . . . especially Sainsburys.
Last week, far too late, Sainsbury's (having no available delivery slots for the foreseeable) promised to set up priority online delivery slots for vulnerable existing customers (already identified by age, delivery instructions, etc), and that we would receive emails today.
Marketing bullshine.
No email of course, and the Sainsbury's website was first "closed for essential maintenance" (in the daytime?) and is now unobtainable. The login process just produces an Error message.
The supermarkets brought this on themselves by greedily grabbing more registrations than they could handle, and sod the regulars -- and they whine all the way to the bank about us stockpiling!
You're on your own, folks -- it's every person for himself/herself/neuter.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Domestos kills ninety-nine percent of all germs.

The remaining one percent die of loneliness.

Badger

Post by Badger »

Attempts to log on to the Sainsburys website have been returning a 403 Error (something like "access to the page is forbidden") all morning. ASDA is trundling along rather more happily and has slots for 13th April at the moment.
ASDA has seemed the online best bet for some time now.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Neighbours needed prescriptions, I was out of fresh fruit and veggies, so popped down, after phoning everyone in the lane to see if they needed anything.

The pharmacy was just opening at 9.30 am, usually they open at 8 am but different times for the duration. Not one soul there and I had a nice chat with the pharmacist, a dutiful six feet apart.

All calm in the supermarket, a couple of people queueing outside, I covered the handle of the trolley with my large cloth shopping bag (made it meself) the shelves were full, shoppers keeping their distance, as requested.

After all that, the poor sods at the till have NO protection, whatever, with shoppers a few inches from their faces. They said some protection would come but they did not know when.

Badger

Post by Badger »

And with Anya's piece we have the most telling observation so far.

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

That's hopeful.

I need a bit of fresh tomorrow (bread, fruit, salad).

I'll let you know.

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

After all that, the poor sods at the till have NO protection, whatever, with shoppers a few inches from their faces.
I went to the hospital for a scan this evening at the local hospital, and not one of the staff there was wearing gloves or masks. When I asked why, I was told there just weren't any.

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

Apparently there are. But they're still in the warehouse....
Image Don't stop doing things because you are getting old.... as you will only get old if you stop doing things.

Anya

Post by Anya »

I asked in the post office and the pharmacy why staff were not waring masks and protective gear - for their own protection - and got a long schpiell that the masks and other things did not really help them, or anyone ????????

Scotston

Post by Scotston »

;thinking:
After all that, the poor sods at the till have NO protection, whatever, with shoppers a few inches from their faces.[/quote]
I went to the hospital for a scan this evening at the local hospital, and not one of the staff there was wearing gloves or masks. When I asked why, I was told there just weren't any.
[/quote]

this was my experience last Friday when I had my CT-scan. BUT . . the x-ray dept was almost deserted and I was the only patient there with only one lady in the general waiting area about 12 feet away from me. The place where I had only about 3 feet from other folks was in the entrance and even that was quiet compared with a normal day. People were moving moving away from each other in the doorway and this was before the stricter ban.

My Anxiety Cause?

I had to take a taxi there and got the bus back. All very quiet but still a worry. :frantic:
Beware!! Chinese virus

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

We're all getting angst-ed up. I walked to my scan - 25 minutes - but it was dark when finished & quite a bit nippier, so I got on a bus ... only person on it. Of course when I got home, I washed my hands like crazy!! :frantic:

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

Well I got my few bits of fresh today, but some people have a funny idea of two metres, reaching past me to get something off a shelf (I was in my chair), and making no attempt at distance. One guy even tried to push in to my two metre space at the checkout.

I'd heard about the selfishness but did not experience it until today.

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

Why worry about toilet rolls when you can use this?
https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/pe ... fier-2XC15
:happy:

Badger

Post by Badger »

Be of good cheer, folks :wine:
It is reported tonight that supermarket shelves are starting to return to normality as the bulk-buying frenzy seems to have passed.
Certainly we had a bumper delivery from Sainsburys today, with pretty well everything we ordered -- even paracetamol and toilet rolls -- though quantities of any one item were still restricted to two or three.

Badger

Post by Badger »

laurie 53 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 pm
Well I got my few bits of fresh today, but some people have a funny idea of two metres, reaching past me to get something off a shelf (I was in my chair), and making no attempt at distance. One guy even tried to push in to my two metre space at the checkout.

Unforgiveable. Pig ignorant oafs on day release from Whipsnade, Laurie.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Yep! Some people thick as two short porcines on end.

Friend is tiny, tiny, two peole reached right over her for things she was trying to get. Very kind but stoooooooopid.

Downlander

Post by Downlander »

laurie 53 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Most people around here are being very considerate and kind......but there's always the scum. Out walking with my son and our dogs yesterday we did everything to keep us and others safe. Until we were trapped on a very narrow path alongside the remains of the old Arundel and Porrtsmouth canal. 50 yards ahead of us two middle aged men runners joined the path, they could easily have waited safely for us to pass, but no, they chose to run at us, resulting in all self distancing rules being infringed. My language directed at them was not for the ears of gentle souls. ;thinking: ;thinking:
You Are What You Think.....
Not What You Think You Are.....

Badger

Post by Badger »

They are no doubt on the same autopilot that controls their driving.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Pictures on various papers showing mountains and mountains of bread, whole chickens, veggies ... thrown away. And people back to panic buying THE SAME FOODS.

None of the bread, meat and other fresh foods were bought for the freezer.

Are people SOOOOOO STOOOOOPID not to know that bread, meat and most fresh foods will start to rot within a few days, unless frozen?