Resizing images

Everything about computers and what makes them tick. Get help with yours here.
mikelgorg

Resizing images

Post by mikelgorg »

Hi all, I started my computering under the guidance of Dr.Mac's clinics, how long ago was that ?? with the help of many, Kas in particular I discovered a new pastime. Over the years I have compiled a host of valuable tips that have been copied, downloaded and filed away for future reference. Now with windows 10 for me it seems a tad more complicated. I have just re installed W10 but seem to have lost the ability to resize my photos from Mb to Kb. I used to be able to do this in a batch format.

Now getting on in years I find my memory is not so sharp, so any help would be much appreciated. Although not posting much these days I log into IDF most days and still copy and download items that might one day be useful to me..

I use a Desktop for W10 also a laptop which I would like to re install W7 on (I have the W7 Pro CD's and activation codes) I also have a laptop with WXP that I use to re arrange photos in the sequence that I want

Good to see some known names still posting, so hope I will not be excluded through not posting very much.

Mike
W10 Desktop & Laptop. WXP Laptop
, MWB, SAS. Glary Utilities.

kasapres
Site Admin

Re: Resizing images

Post by kasapres »

Hi mikelgorg,
Good to see you're still with us.

Which photo program(s) were you using up til now?

I ask because Windows 10 requires a new set of 'familiarities'.
That is, most of the Win XP and Win 7 in-built photo editors you're used to have been removed and replaced with Microsoft Photo---a much different photo program.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... tos-videos

Read more here: https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/microsoft ... windows-10

More info and some instruction here: https://www.howtogeek.com/320942/how-to ... hotos-app/

That said, there are many free photo editors available for download.
I usually recommend Fastsone Image Viewer (which has an editing component) because it is simple, easy to learn and very effective for 'better- than-basic' editing etc.
The Faststone range of free programs is here: https://www.faststone.org/

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Hi Kas, I have a very simple collection of 54Gb of photos and videos that I have collected over the years and put into albums under 'my pics' I really don't need to edit them but to just keep them for my off spring that seem to be increasing by the minute, such as great grand children at the moment. They are all backed up on two external hard drives, some are sized in Mb's and some in Kb's the latter I have been able to send by email more successfully. I used to be able to resize them in a batch but seem to have lost that capability somewhere .

I have no idea how IT will progress to safely be able to pass this collection on, thinking one time floppy disks and now Flash drives. Any suggestions on how to safely keep this collection and possible edit them would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply, looking at https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... tos-videos might be something I would venture into with a video perhaps, not too sure about that.

Regards. Mike

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

Well, if the technologies do change drastically in the future, it'll be up to the young 'uns to adapt, won't it?

I have most of my 'worthy' pics stored on external hard drives.
Others have been uploaded to Google Photos--which is an easy way to organize, cull, and share photos with several people and/or make them available for download.
You'll need to set up an account with Google.
Be aware that Google will have the right to access and use anything you upload to their storage servers.
https://www.google.com/photos/about/

As for changing sizes------
'Batch resizing' multiple images in Windows 10 (using only Windows Explorer) is a bit more involved than it was with Win 7 etc. However, it can be done and it gets quicker and easier once you've done it a few times.

If you'd rather not install a new program, here is the 'email hack' method:
https://www.diytechguides.com/resize-mu ... ws-10.html

But I would recommend you consider any of these good free program as an option.
I have used all three (Image Resizer for Windows, PicPick and RIOT) with good results:
https://technumero.com/resize-images-quickly-windows/

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Kas, have looked at the links you gave and am in the process of seeing which one will help me sort my problem. Not too quick these days so will take awhile.

Had a thought about Irfanview that I used ages ago, downloaded it but the latest version was too complicated for me. I seem to remember that I was able to use that to downsize batch images.

Thanks for your help as always.

Mike.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Have just seen your post regarding batch resizing and wonder if this would be of any use [using IrfanView]

Batch Conversion/Rename
Click on the File Menu, select Batch Conversion/Rename. A dialog allows you to select a directory from which the files will be taken. Use Look in, filename and Files of type to limit the search.
Select the output directory at middle right. If you don't have the full path for this directory, click the Browse button to find it. Find a directory and when you have selected a directory, click the OK button to load the directory name as output directory.
You can set the current directory as output directory, if you press the Use this directory as output button.
Please take care if you are using same input and output folder. Some options may not work properly (e.g. apply on all pages) and if an error happens, there is no easy way to restore replaced files.

Batch Conversion:

Select the Output Format at bottom left. This works just like Save and Save As. The Options button lets you choose from the various file format specific save options, just like the Save and Save As dialog.

Use the Set advanced options button to apply many special operations to the images during conversion. These options are much like their versions on the Image Menu. The options are:
Crop, Resize, Change color depth, Auto adjust colors, Horizontal flip, Vertical flip, Rotate left, Rotate right, Convert to greyscale, Negative, Sharpen, Brightness, Contrast, Gamma correction, Saturation, Color balance, etc.
The commands will be processed in the order as they are shown in the dialog (first crop command, then resize etc.). If you want to change the order of operations, use the option Custom processing order.
Hint: for Batch Crop: Width and/or height can be negative numbers to allow cropping on right/bottom border. X and/or Y can be also negative numbers if the center start corner is used. Example: start corner is Left-top, if width is set to -10, resulting image will be cropped 10 pixels on the right border. Another example: you want to cut 100 pixels on all borders, then you set: Corner = Left-top, X = 100, Y = 100, W = -100 and H = -100.Hint: for Batch Resize: If you set both, width and height, to e.g. 640 and activate the preserve aspect ratio option, the result image dimensions are: width = max. 640, height = max. 640, proportional.

The option Create subfolders in destination folder will create a similar folder structure in the destination folder to the original file path.
Hint: (for advanced users) The output/destination folder text value can also contain placeholders. Can be useful to e.g. sort/save files in folders by date, width and other image/file properties or to save result files in the original folder adding a new subfolder like "\resized\".

Batch Rename:
You can rename original/input files or you can copy/move original files to output directory and rename the files in the output directory. For renaming, you can generate a name pattern for new names and the starting index for numbers.
Please be very careful when you use rename and first test your options with dummy files; batch rename can be very powerful = dangerous! Using bad name pattern, combined with options like Move/Rename original/input files and/or Overwrite existing files, you can, under special circumstances, remove all input/original files! Please do not use these options, until you REALLY know what you are doing.
Hint: If you want e.g. 3 digits in the new rename name, you must also write 3x "#" in the pattern!

Example: Pattern image_### with start index 1 will produce filenames "image_001", "image_002", etc.
Click on Set rename options to open a dialog for further options for the renaming process.
You can save the current/visible dialog values as a profile and later use/load the saved values.

Click on Run test rename to see the preview/results of the rename operation without actually renaming the files.Check those you want to use, then click OK. To exit without making any selections, click Cancel.

Batch Conversion + Rename:
This option combines the normal Batch Conversion with Batch Rename. You can set the name pattern for the output files.
Select the files you want to convert by clicking their names. For a large range of files: click the first name, move the mouse to the last file in the group, hold down the Shift key and click. To choose individual files, hold down the Ctrl key and click each name.
Click the Add button to add the (selected) files that will be converted. Click the Add all button to select every image in the directory with the extension choosen in Files of type. Remove and Remove all take chosen files back out.
If the Include subdirectories option is checked and button Add all is pressed, all subdirectories will be searched for files with the choosen file type and added to the file list.
Click the Load TXT button to load filenames from a TXT file. The TXT file contains, in each line, a name of the image/file, including the full path.
You can also save the current file list as TXT file, which can later used, e.g. in the Batch dialog, Rename dialog, Thumbnails window etc.
Click the Start button to begin. A box shows the progress of the conversion. If you need to halt, click the Stop button. When the process is done, click Exit to close the dialog.
File conversion may also be performed from outside IrfanView using a command line option.

When you are finished converting files, click Cancel to exit. Another way of exiting is to click the X in the upper right corner.
Win 10 home , Kaspersky Total Security

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

Those are good instructions, Ray. Thanks.

Mike,
Irfanview was one of our 'go to' programs back in the day.
It was the swiss army version of an image editor for many before other alternatives were issued and still does stalwart service in it's updated form.
That said, it can look a bit convoluted until you break it down into components.

As Ray has illustrated, once you find the proper procedure and tackle it a couple of times, it'll all become much easier.

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Kas, Ray, many thanks for your help, took a bit of sorting out, not too quick these days. I found that the link... https://technumero.com/resize-images-quickly-windows/ ...was just what I needed and worked well.

Thanks again

Mike

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

If you hurry, this batch resizing program is free for a limited time:

https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/batch- ... the+Day%29