It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 pm 

In case any of you are thinking of sending money to the victims of the earthquake, tsunami and volcanic eruption in Indonesia, here is the address of the UK appeal.

https://www.dec.org.uk/appeal/indonesia-tsunami-appeal

Bertrand Russell

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 pm 

aardvaark,

My wife was watching a report from Indonesia this morning.

And there was food for sale. In fact the reporters and the crew were offered it.

All this in the midst of the devastated area.

We appear to have the usual situation with these countries who are subjected to a natural disaster.
The local thugs get hold of the food donated and set up a black market in it.
The police, often corrupt themselves, do not interfere.
In any 'reasonable' society the police would simply round up these thugs and shoot them. Publicly so that justice can be seen to have been done.

We have seen many cases of food been sold by people who have intercepted donations and even sell the food in the same UNHCR bags it arrived in.

Save your donation money for those causes closer to home. At least they have some accountability.

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Shoot them? I seem to remember, back in the fifties, where there had been a disaster in some British colony, a photograph in the papers showing patrolling armed British soldiers - and also a sign bearing the words:
LOOTERS WILL BE PUBLICLY FLOGGED.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:03 am 

Why?
Doesn't our multi million forgein aid do all that?
If not why have we not got an emergency budget?

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm 

Foreign aid is meant for things like this and some has already been pledged, plus expertise and transport.

But it's never enough is it, not for disasters on this scale. So charities make up some of the shortfall.

You may as well ask why hospital charities exist when surely taxes do all that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:20 am 

Afraid I have become cynical about these requests for hard cash as time after time the countries don't need it they just wont spend what they do have. We have all seen the equipment, clothing, etc, abandoned and left to rot after one disaster after another, with stories of despots lining their own pockets. Let our allocated foreign aid assist, we have already contributed to that.

I sometimes wonder what would happen in UK if disaster struck to the same degree; I have this feeling that we would be left to it being a relatively wealthy country.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 am 

Well, we are unlikely to experience natural disasters on this scale, and we are a relatively wealthy country so it's not likely people would starve.

I think the EU did get millions from the EU for flood aid though. We are getting more flooding of late, affecting people's homes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Surely one of the most tragic disasters to hit our country since the war, was the Aberfan disaster. I doubt that other countries contributed to that. What I can remember, is that in shops, pubs etc, there were collection boxes marked "Aberfan disaster fund."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 pm 

The other Dave. wrote:
aardvaark,

My wife was watching a report from Indonesia this morning.

And there was food for sale. In fact the reporters and the crew were offered it.

All this in the midst of the devastated area.

We appear to have the usual situation with these countries who are subjected to a natural disaster.
The local thugs get hold of the food donated and set up a black market in it.
The police, often corrupt themselves, do not interfere.
In any 'reasonable' society the police would simply round up these thugs and shoot them. Publicly so that justice can be seen to have been done.

We have seen many cases of food been sold by people who have intercepted donations and even sell the food in the same UNHCR bags it arrived in.

Save your donation money for those causes closer to home. At least they have some accountability.

Dave.

There will always be human predators exploiting circumstances like these and other kinds of human vulnerability, but if one penny of my donation gets through to someone who needs my help I don't begrudge it. We are all one human family on our planet and sometimes we need to share what we have with those who have not only nothing, but have lost any meaningful life. We need to help them rebuild their country and give them a little respite.

Are you not moved by their anguish?

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:59 pm 

I am Ard, but there are people in Venezuela starving too but apparently not newsworthy any more.