It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jazz Hands Lunacy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

My younger brother is autistic and I know a few others, who also are. None of them have any problems with loud noises - my brother is often in the audience of a large theatre, watching acts where the applause is thunderous. So it appears that some - but by no means all, not by a long chalk, people who suffer from autism have a loud noise issue.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:44 pm 

I don't think it is all. It's also some people who are noise-sensitive but not autistic.

Definitely a minority overall, but I don't get why catering for a minority in this small way is such a bad thing anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:12 pm 

All these minorities do an awful lot of shouting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:22 pm 

Maybe not the ones who hate loud noises.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:01 am 

The society gives the number of - around - 700,000 individuals with autistic problems. A huge percentage have only borderline conditions, that don't impact severely with their existence.

Therefore, the real number of sufferers is WAY less that ONE PERCENT of the population of this country.

Cannot run a whole society for the sake of tiny minorities, only try and give such help as is needed. Often the needs of each minority are conflicting.

A much greater benefit would be for international scientific bodies to cooperate in trying to find real prevention for autism and other difficult conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:43 pm 

But they are trying to give help where it's needed. Creating a quieter space in some shops or cinemas, or official student debates. It's not causing that much disruption to the sainted majority is it. So why all the moaning. Any of us might be minorities in some form or become one.... I think it's simple kindness and good manners to help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:51 am 

Shopping through the eyes of someone with autism
For Connor Ward, who was diagnosed with autism two years ago, shopping can be an overwhelming experience.
He explains the many factors that can make it so stressful, on the week where thousands of UK shops are taking part in a new initiative called Autism Hour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-457620 ... ith-autism

Watch and listen to the video.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 am 

Interesting, thank you. I'm not autistic but I would quite welcome a quieter and less glaringly bright shopping environment too. It feels more relaxing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am 

Anya wrote:
The society gives the number of - around - 700,000 individuals with autistic problems. A huge percentage have only borderline conditions, that don't impact severely with their existence.

Therefore, the real number of sufferers is WAY less that ONE PERCENT of the population of this country.

Cannot run a whole society for the sake of tiny minorities, only try and give such help as is needed. Often the needs of each minority are conflicting.

A much greater benefit would be for international scientific bodies to cooperate in trying to find real prevention for autism and other difficult conditions.

We are expected to accept special conditions for a community of about 300,000 because of their religious views . They can help themselves , the autistic can't