Never ending lunacy from the snowflake generation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-45717841

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Jazz Hands Lunacy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:03 pm 

Downlander wrote:
Never ending lunacy from the snowflake generation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-45717841

Maybe the House Of Commons should follow suit.
Do you think all the jeering and catcalling there is a good thing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm 

Trans madness, jazz hands lunacy...aieeee where will it all end???
Oh for the days when minority interests were shown their proper place at the back of the queue!! What's the world coming to when a student democratic body takes steps to make it a bit easier for everyone to take part. It's a vortex of destruction I tell thee!! The end times are upon us :frantic:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Oh dear, are the poor little darlings upset by the noise of applause? I bet the same idiots who have launched this nonsense, attend pop "music" events, where the decibel level approaches that experienced on the Western Front, during an artillery bombardment. Hopefully there are enough sensible ones present, to totally ignore this PC edict - and show their appreciation in the proper manner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:59 am 

The 'poor little darlings' are students with autism and sensory perception issues.
Of course they would not be going to concerts or anywhere where there is loud noise, that's the whole point.

This move, which has already been done in some other university unions, is designed to make it easier for these students to attend meetings where they should be democratically represented.

Why is it madness, nonsense, PC lunacy, idiocy and so on to take account of people who have conditions that make them a minority.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Sorry. Outwith the so called safe spaces at Universities - which didn't exist, when I was a student, the world is a hard, cruel and rather noisy place. Better to acknowledge that the real world exists?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am 

I much prefer an attitude of helping the disadvantaged by improving the conditions and environment.
I see no lunacy whatever in this idea and suggest that the House Of Commons follows suit.
The "suck it up" attitude sums up the whole Tory mantra which stinks worse than rotting fish.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 am 

Everybody needs to learn to have a hard edge or you will go under in a very short time. My autistic grandson has built a shell of caustic, dry wit as a coping strategy - if he doesn't like a situation he does something else instead. Brings you back to the question 'What is normal?' every time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:18 am 

Stormy wrote:
Sorry. Outwith the so called safe spaces at Universities - which didn't exist, when I was a student, the world is a hard, cruel and rather noisy place. Better to acknowledge that the real world exists?

I'm sure anyone who has reached the age of 18plus with one of these conditions is very aware of how difficult it can be to cope in the 'real world.' There will be places that are inaccessible.

But the student union is the body that represents all students and has the power to vote for changes that helps members. Suppose a student in a wheelchair said they wanted to come in and take part, but couldn't get up the steps to the door and asked if a ramp could be installed to allow them access? Imagine if the reaction was to dismiss them as a snowflake who had better get used to the real world and stop with the PC nonsense! Of course efforts would be made to give them the access and representation they were entitled to.

This is a similar situation, just one you don't seem to have come across before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

It's not a similar situation, in any way, shape or form. Genuinely disabled people in wheelchairs, deserve every consideration - as do others with similar disability. Yet applause - it's not particularly loud compared to many other everyday noises. During my career in both the chemical and the mining industries, I experienced continuous and very loud noise on a daily basis. Indeed, some of my colleagues were later compensated for hearing loss!
As for the extremely tiny minority who may genuinely not like noise, there is a very good remedy. Wax earplugs! They actually do work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Star wrote:
Everybody needs to learn to have a hard edge or you will go under in a very short time. My autistic grandson has built a shell of caustic, dry wit as a coping strategy - if he doesn't like a situation he does something else instead. Brings you back to the question 'What is normal?' every time.

Indeed. Back in the commonsense days of the 1950s, we were taught that the best philosophy against playground bullies was "Sticks and stones may hurt my bones but calling cannot hurt me!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:16 pm 

Stormy wrote:
It's not a similar situation, in any way, shape or form. Genuinely disabled people in wheelchairs, deserve every consideration - as do others with similar disability. Yet applause - it's not particularly loud compared to many other everyday noises. During my career in both the chemical and the mining industries, I experienced continuous and very loud noise on a daily basis. Indeed, some of my colleagues were later compensated for hearing loss!
As for the extremely tiny minority who may genuinely not like noise, there is a very good remedy. Wax earplugs! They actually do work.

Of course it's comparable, if students need to have a small change made in order for them to be able to attend meetings of their own student body. Autistic people for example, do often have hypersensitivity to noise and can't cope in a hall full of random clapping, cheering, whooping and so on. I think it's very harsh to dismiss them as snowflakes who are not 'genuinely' disabled.

The NUS did away with clapping about three years ago, in response to requests by people who suffer this. To ignore it is saying that such people should just stay away because others can't be bothered to accommodate them. What message would that send from a body that is there to represent as many students as possible.

Autistic people do use earplugs sometimes when background noise is too much, but attending a speaker meeting?! They wouldn't be able to hear the very thing they had come for. It's not really practical to keep removing them and putting them back in every few seconds.

I don't get this current obsession with mocking small things that are put in place to help people live better. It's quite common in the media at the moment. When did helping people become a matter for ridicule and anger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Applause has been something which has been going on for millennia and nobody ever heard of anybody objecting. So why now? Outside the universities, at public events, it will still go on unabated. There are much louder sounds than this, met with on a daily basis - particularly in large towns and cities where the traffic noise alone is pretty considerable. Road works with pneumatic drills. Worst of all, inconsiderate neighbours playing loud music at ungodly hours. You don't need to have any hearing anomalies, to object to this!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:35 pm 

Why now? It isn't actually totally new, but has been going on for a few years in some places. Gradually becoming more popular.

Why does anything like this ever happen? Because the world of medical/health knowledge progresses.

Conditions are identified, researched and people come up with suggestions to make life easier for those who struggle in some areas. Large print books, hearing loops, wheeled chairs, quieter spaces, new technology...a myriad things. It's a progression that will go on and on. Taking account of the problems people have and seeing if anything could reasonably be done to help.

It doesn't mean there won't still be very noisy places, of course there will and there will be people who can't use them. But if an organisation exists to serve members, they will take some steps to help those members get the maximum possible experience...rather than metaphorically sticking two fingers up. This union voted to take this step, on behalf of some of their members.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:38 pm 

Purwell wrote:
I much prefer an attitude of helping the disadvantaged by improving the conditions and environment.
I see no lunacy whatever in this idea and suggest that the House Of Commons follows suit.
The "suck it up" attitude sums up the whole Tory mantra which stinks worse than rotting fish.

The jeering in the HoC is an absolute disgrace. It's disgusting the way they often snigger at real-life examples of hardship raised by Corbyn. It's all about scoring political points, rather than working out ways to help people who need it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm 

Lighthouse wrote:
Purwell wrote:

The jeering in the HoC is an absolute disgrace. It's disgusting the way they often snigger at real-life examples of hardship raised by Corbyn. It's all about scoring political points, rather than working out ways to help people who need it.

Look at these nice budding Tories: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/03/tory-students-wear-fk-the-nhs-t-shirt-and-hitler-tache-on-uni-night-out-8001669/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:48 am 

What's unusual about a bunch of students having a good time?
At least half of them are not wearing hoodies and masks like the left wing loony labour ones do. :laughitup: :clapping:

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 am 

Local Tory MP says they should be banned for life from the party. He at least has looked carefully. Their names and photos are everywhere, available to prospective employers. A big price for a 'good time'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:30 am 

Stormy wrote:
Oh dear, are the poor little darlings upset by the noise of applause? I bet the same idiots who have launched this nonsense, attend pop "music" events, where the decibel level approaches that experienced on the Western Front, during an artillery bombardment. Hopefully there are enough sensible ones present, to totally ignore this PC edict - and show their appreciation in the proper manner.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am 

How many people are we talking about?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am 

They haven't given a number, only said that there are students who asked for this, so they could attend policy meetings and votes. It was voted through decisively.

It isn't a 'ban' though. It's more encouragement. Hoping that most people will do it and meetings will become quieter.

It's only democratic union events - not things like concerts, parties and so on.

The press have exaggerated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 am 

Quote:
Which the po-faced gullible ones have pounced on as they always do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:28 pm 

Having listened to the student union leader who appeared on TV, it is quite clear the press have not exaggerated anything.

This is just another example of the snowflake generation thinking they know best.

I have lived for 52 years with extremely close connection with deaf people who often have associated health problems as well as deafness. Never once have I heard any complaints about people clapping. Its just rubbish invented by snowflakers determined to inflict their know all attitudes on society,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:43 pm 

What, you and your deaf acquaintances are not aware of British Sign Language clapping? It's not new!

Also known as deaf applause or jazzhands. Now you know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm 

Purwell wrote:
Quote:
Which the po-faced gullible ones have pounced on as they always do.

Things like this are easy clickbait aren't they. A vote to encourage silent clapping for sensible reasons becomes a BAN by SNOWFLAKES!!!

Grrrrrr those IDIOTS taking into account minority health issues! It's PC gone mad!! The lunacy!

I'm so angry I'm going to click on all articles like this and share with everyone I know. Who cares what the truth is, lets just all start foaming with righteous rage. It wasn't like this in my day....cont P94.

Clicks = circulation = advertising revenue = job done.