It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 am 

I'm afraid my vision and comprehension is no longer up to the various relevant threads, for which I apologise, but having just heard the PM on Radio 4, and I get the impression she is floundering about totally out of her depth seeking a handhold, any handhold.

Those with long memories may recall that I was quite pleased when she became leader, and promised to consider voting Tory again.

That prospect has long receded. She makes John Major look firm an decisive.

She has sent both the Tory party and the feminist movement back thirty or more years.

Can anyone see Margaret, or even Shirley Williams or Barbara Castle putting up such a performance?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Her biggest mistake was to call the last election and not be prepared for the Labour party to be so good!

(On the otherhand almost anybody would have been better than her as she followed such appalling advice on how to present herself.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm 

Someone really needs to advise her on her wardrobe, she is a fashion disaster, so bad I feel really sorry for her, :f-minus:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 pm 

Yes, when asked for an opinion on the Prime Minister my first thought is always the fashion sense. :roll:

It's just the most important thing.

I don't think she has what it takes to be PM. I'm sure she is clever and competent at managing some things but she doesn't have the flair or the leadership qualities in my opinion. The ability to think fast on her feet fails her often and she doesn't seem to relish the fray like others before her.

Having said that, it must be a spectacularly difficult job at present. A party riven by infighting and a country so divided. She's still there though I'll say that, so obviously is tougher than she sometimes looks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, those observations are valid. But when comparing her with Maggie and others, it's not a level playing field is it? She's having to deal with Brexit, surely by far the biggest hot potato that any UK PM has had to deal with. Sure they all had difficult challenges to face. Maggie was able to take both Galtieri's and Scargill's scalps because the country was mainly behind her - especially so, in the case of Galtieri. Not to mention a Labour Party which gave her a huge gift, in the shape of the longest suicide note in history!
Brexit. Non co-operation from Brussels who won't even meet her half way. A party that's split with a very powerful faction anti her efforts led by Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg. And a Labour Party that says that it will block any deal that she might happen to get with Brussels (chance would be a fine thing!) You have to admire her staying power. Faced with such lions in their path, many would have resigned and let somebody else take on this huge Gordian knot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:56 pm 

Why would Brussels change established rules to benefit a country which was walking out though - it's the have cake/eat cake idea that was never a runner except in the fevered imaginations of the leave campaign.

Labour might vote for a deal that meets Starmer's 6 tests - but they have been set deliberately tough so that it will be easy to find a reason to vote it down if they want to. Whether they will remains to be seen as May is still plugging away at Chequers.

She said the ball was in the EUs court now...but has just crumbled and is working on Chequers 2.0...son of Chequers.

One of her problems is she makes herself look weak by talking tough one minute then being the first to melt. So she either is weak..or it's all a cunning plan to get to the end result she secretly wants.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:36 pm 

Yes, when asked for an opinion on the Prime Minister my first thought is always the fashion sense. :roll:

The point, while tongue in cheek, is well taken.

While totally irrelevant on the international stage, with today's intense media coverage is everything on the domestic, i.e. election, front.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am 

Cameron dodged the bullet and passed it over to May. It turned into a poison chalice which nobody else wishes to touch - at least not until the muck has been swept up and bagged.

Why do the media keep asking how she is going to achieve her aims - why would anyone show all their ammunition prior to going into battle.

So easy to take pot shots, like Boris the Buffoon, whilst acting like an overgrown pre-adolescent shcool boy.

When Wilson came to the throne promising heaven to the masses the great expectations were never met and it all ended in disgrace.

As to May's wardrobe - I am sure she has said that her husband advises her. She clearly has a spinal problem which is always going to be difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:51 am 

The only good thing about Brussels is, you only have to put up with them at Christmas..
:D :D

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:01 am 

whipitquick wrote:
The only good thing about Brussels is, you only have to put up with them at Christmas..

You obviously have never been!

It, like most of Belgium and the Belgians, is abso,utely charming.

Now if you'd mentioned the other EU seat, Strasbourg, I'd have agreed,

Noisy, dirty, smelly, expensive full of rude and discourteous people!

A typical French city!

Last edited by laurie 53 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 am 

Star wrote:
Why do the media keep asking how she is going to achieve her aims - why would anyone show all their ammunition prior to going into battle.

The EU negotiators make regular statements so it looks odd if she says nothing. The deadline for signing the talks off was supposed to be mid-October, so the 'battle' is supposed to be over. Instead it's dragging on and the Tories are still not behind any one strategy...more are putting in letters of no-confidence in May. They are openly talking of who will replace her and when.

Companies like Nissan and Jaguar are explaining how their presence in the UK is dependent on single market trade with no customs barriers. All businesses that trade with the EU need information to make contingency planning. Will there be tariffs? Quotas? Border delays? What product standards will they have to follow? Will they face new competition from importers in Asia, Africa and so on. Can they still bring staff in from abroad - if so, how many and what will the criteria be? So many questions and still May can't rule out a crash-out in March. This is costing a lot of money and there are no answers even now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 am 

laurie 53 wrote:
whipitquick wrote:

You obviously have never been!

Wrong again, I was their for Rank Xerox in the early seventies.
I went there to search for your sense of humour but didn't find a bean... :laughitup:

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 am 

That's years ago! The UK was barely in the EEC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:13 pm 

Lighthouse wrote:

I don't think she has what it takes to be PM. I'm sure she is clever and competent at managing some things but she doesn't have the flair or the leadership qualities in my opinion. The ability to think fast on her feet fails her often and she doesn't seem to relish the fray like others before her.

Having said that, it must be a spectacularly difficult job at present. A party riven by infighting and a country so divided. She's still there though I'll say that, so obviously is tougher than she sometimes looks.

An excellent appraisal.