It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:11 pm 

If it's good enough for the Americans it's good enough for UK and stop those greedy drug companies milking the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45588983

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:23 pm 

Greeeeeeat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 pm 

If a drug has been passed as effective and safe then it should be used by the NHS over more expensive alternatives. As long as the cheaper ones aren't inferior of course.

But the idea that something that is allowed in the US is therefore good enough for the UK...nooooo. Not necessarily.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:51 pm 

Agree with that. The exact same drugs, in the USA. are often hundreds of times more expensive, medical insurance companies getting away with murder. Literally.

The NHS bleated years ago they were going to use cheaper drugs, whenever possible, as long as the drugs were equally safe and effective.

I was involved in the field and can assure everyone it NEVER happened. Pharmaceutical companies still sell drugs to the NHS that are obscenely more expensive than the open market. Not long ago, Boots were selling some pills to the NHS, for hundreds of pounds, whilst the very same pills, in the very same package, were sold in Boots own stores - for a couple of quid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 pm 

Do away with the NHS, and use the money they take off you for NI and some tax, which would then pay for your private health care insurance payments. Then the government could give free education to all.Simples .... :clapping: That'll get them started

iMac, iPad iPhone7 and MacBook Air, pretty much MAC-ed out.

Definitely the major cause of Terrorism is the Muslim faith.
White lives Matter...
Whipitquick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:30 pm 

I have had 24 injections of Lucentis over the last five years or so, so I've cost the NHS a bit! Unfortunately my macular degeneration has developed into the dry version which is untreatable . The ruling won't now affect me.

I am a little concerned that judges with no medical background have, in effect, given doctors permission to use unlicensed treatments.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:38 am 

Laurie, I have recently developed untreatable AMD in one eye which means all direct vision has gone., making reading and writing impossible with that eye. I am obviously monitoring my other eye in an attempt to prevent the same condition developing.

I presume you are in the same position, or are both your eyes affected. If so how do you manage to use this board.. I certainly couldn't if my good eye becomes as bad as the other one.

Hope you don't mind me asking, I am just trying to gather as much knowledge as I can.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:47 am 

I’ve got the dry sort too for about last 5 years,happily I can still see reasonably with both eyes. An optometrist who wasn’t familiar with me last year insisted that I go urgently to the local macular clinic where an OCT scan confirmed that it didn’t need anything doing. Last year I decided to take those “macushield capsules in a desperate attempt to do something plus eating raw carrots and kiwi fruit and lots of sweetcorn,all a placebo,maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:31 am 

Downlander wrote:
Laurie, I have recently developed untreatable AMD in one eye which means all direct vision has gone., making reading and writing impossible with that eye. I am obviously monitoring my other eye in an attempt to prevent the same condition developing.

I presume you are in the same position, or are both your eyes affected. If so how do you manage to use this board.. I certainly couldn't if my good eye becomes as bad as the other one.

Hope you don't mind me asking, I am just trying to gather as much knowledge as I can.

No, I don.t mind at all.

I have it in both eyes and effectively cannot read or write. I've lost the car, of course, but use a roadgoing power chair locally, range an optimistic 18 miles.

I use audio books, and for the forum a massive zoom to about five lines per page, nine words per line. That's on a thirteen inch tablet, which is about the largest, and hold it about six inches away!. Cannot use anything with a keyboard of course, because it makes the screen too far away. As I also have dexterity problems all in ones and wireless keyboards are too heavy.

As I mentioned in another post, I can rarely wade through long posts or links.

A post such as this rakes about thirty or forty minutes to write.

I can still watch television, O sit about a metre anhd a half away from a 55inch UHD, with audio description on. Tanning with subtitles is out, of course - they're not on screen long enough to read. I keep searcjing for a screen reading feature (for the computer as well) but no luck so far.

I'm not looking for sympathy, there are others much worse off, but you did ask!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 am 

grampy wrote:
An optometrist who wasn’t familiar with me last year insisted that I go urgently to the local macular clinic where an OCT scan confirmed that it didn’t need anything doing..

Exactly the opposite for me grumpy. I went to Boots for a check up when I became aware of a problem, telling the optician that I couldn't see half the screen when asked to call out the letters on it.

I was referred to the NHS for further action which wouldn't occur for several months. A couple of weeks later I was very concerned and paid to see a private consultant. He was far from happy with the diagnosis and lack of urgency displayed by the optician, and told me my eye would not now benefit from any treatment. Consequently I am left with just peripheral vision in that eye.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 pm 

Downlander wrote:
grampy wrote:
Consequently I am left with just peripheral vision in that eye.

Sounds like hemianopia to me. (blindness over half the field of vision)

In my case I have homonymous hemianopia. (Homonymous hemianopsia (or homonymous hemianopia) is hemianopic visual field loss on the same side of both eyes.) I am totally blind on my left but luckily the right side of both eyes is not affected so I can see reasonably well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:16 pm 

Laurie, many thanks for your response, information like that helps me prepare for the possibility that my good eye might deteriorate.

What do you mean when you referred to " a massive zoom" I can enlarge print considerably on my MacBook, but still cannot read it if I just use my bad eye. Could you tell me are you able to use a cashpoint machine ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:23 pm 

oobydooby wrote:
Downlander wrote:
grampy wrote:
Consequently I am left with just peripheral vision in that eye.

Sounds like hemianopia to me. (blindness over half the field of vision)

In my case I have homonymous hemianopia. (Homonymous hemianopsia (or homonymous hemianopia) is hemianopic visual field loss on the same side of both eyes.) I am totally blind on my left but luckily the right side of both eyes is not affected so I can see reasonably well.

As I understand it my condition is severe AMD which is a loss of Central Vision, whilst retaining peripheral vision . Sounds different to your problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:05 pm 

Could you tell me are you able to use a cashpoint machine ?

I could probably still use one in an emergency, but I would need to get help with all entries except the PIN. Schoolchildren or young Asian mothers are best. I use the post office to draw cash, and ask for cash back every time I shop.

For reading the screen I have the basic font set at "Huge" or whatever, use "pinch and zoom" to the maximum, and use a 5x magnifier; as the OT said "You do what you have to".

Do remember it is unusual to go blind with AMD, you just lose central vision.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm 

laurie 53 wrote:
Could you tell me are you able to use a cashpoint machine ?

I could probably still use one in an emergency, but I would need to get help with all entries except the PIN. Schoolchildren or young Asian mothers are best. I use the post office to draw cash, and ask for cash back every time I shop.

For reading the screen I have the basic font set at "Huge" or whatever, use "pinch and zoom" to the maximum, and use a 5x magnifier; as the OT said "You do what you have to".

Do remember it is unusual to go blind with AMD, you just lose central vision.

Many thanks for your comments Laurie. My good eye is already showing early signs of AMD, so I am trying to learn and do what ever I can to ease the problem should it arise. Once again, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:40 pm 

I use a laptop with the little pad in the front (which I don't normally use as I prefer a mouse). If you put two fingers on the pad (thumb and forefinger) and draw those fingers together or apart you increase/decrease the size of anything on the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

I notice a number of ATMs now have headphone sockets , are these any help?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

So sorry to hear about all those very difficult problems.

I have twenty-twenty vision (touch wood, touch my nose) all the banks around here closed, the nearest is miles away.

So I use the post office for getting out cash, paying in cheques and other functions.

Many people are still not aware that post offices do all that - for ALL the banks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:47 am 

For those who cannot reach a post office it is worth remembering that the middle button on most ATMs, which is the 5, has a raised dot on it.