It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you remember this?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Albert Dryden, who had illegally built a bungalow in a hollow that he'd dug out, shot the Council's chief planning officer and also wounded others, when he opened fire with an ancient WW1 Webley revolver. This happened as they were moving in with diggers to demolish his bungalow. It was all the more shocking, because the entire event was televised on Look North - I saw it because I was living in Cumbria at the time. He was, by all accounts, an absolute nut job. Anyway, he's died in a Durham care home. He was released last year, on compassionate grounds, due to ill health. Can't believe that it was 27 years ago! Where does the time go?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-45557805

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

What a sad story.

They were destroying his home - I can understand that tipped him over the edge...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 pm 

This story is wrong on so many counts I don't know where to start!

Why was he dressed like that?

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Firstly, there's the question of the weapon. During a war when battlefield conditions were so terrible, that thousands have no known grave, no checks could be kept on weapons. Many were picked up and brought back as souvenirs, in soldier's kitbags, in both world wars.
After WW2, the country was awash with such weapons - and not only hand guns! The murder weapon was purchased by Dryden, when he was 11, for only ten shillings.
Following WW2, successive governments have held firearms amnesties in which you can hand in such illegal weapons, no questions asked. In the earlier amnesties, it was quite amazing, not only the number - but the variety - of weapons surrendered. Following his arrest, Dryden was found to have a stash of handguns - around ten, if I remember rightly.
As for ammunition, he manufactured his own, from .410 shotgun cartridges and lead bullets that he had manufactured.
Following Dunblane, which was some years later, hand guns were completely banned. It does make one wonder however, despite the numerous amnesties - and the very heavy penalties for possession of illegal weapons, how many such "souvenirs" are still out there? Not necessarily with people's knowledge, maybe under a pile of junk in some loft or barn, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 am 

I knew several lads at school in the late 50's whose Dads had Lugers. I don't think there was much ammunition about though.
Another common gun to be found was a folding rifle probably originally a paratroop weapon that had been modified to use .410 shotgun cartridges. They very often used to "spark" out of the breech though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:42 pm 

There are places where you can legitmately live wild, but none in this country!