It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 pm 

I was wondering about a comment made elsewhere regarding the state of Puerto Ricans.
The item below may help a bit toward understanding the attitude of the US President towards the people on this island.

Puerto Rico is a territory under the sovereignty of the federal government, but is not part of any state nor is it a state itself. It has been organized (given a measure of self-rule by the Congress) subject to the Congress' plenary powers under the territorial clause of Article IV, sec. 3, of the U.S. Constitution.[1] In the U.S. House of Representatives, Puerto Rico is entitled to a Resident Commissioner, a delegate who is not allowed to vote on the floor of the House, but can vote on procedural matters and in House committees. In most other U.S. overseas (and historically pre-state) territories, as well as the District of Columbia, a similar representative position is styled Delegate.

The lack of direct voting representation in Congress for residents of the territory has been an issue since the U.S. Congress granted U.S. citizenship to Puerto Rico citizens in 1917. All judicial claims have been met with political or constitutional challenges; therefore, there has been no change in Puerto Rico's representation in the Congress or representation on the electoral college for the U.S. citizens residing in Puerto Rico.

(Wikipedia)

So it seems that Puerto Ricans are indeed second class American citizens as they do not have full voting rights.
How many other groups of American citizens do not have the right to partake in the selection of the countries president ?

Dave.

Passion.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:59 pm 

The people of Puerto Rico must decide their own future. They have three choices, and all the time in the world...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ri ... ndum,_2017

US, 2018, so far: ‘Manufacturing expands at the fastest pace since May, 2004; jobless claims are the lowest since 1969; Consumer Confidence is the highest since November, 2000; unemployment is 3.7%’...

Last edited by Rose on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 pm 

Rose wrote:
They have the right to move to any U.S. state and become a taxpaying resident of that state, with all the rights extended any other U.S. citizen.

This may interest you...

What happens if someone from a State moves to Puerto Rico? Do they lose voting rights?

I guess the residents of the 13 colonies could have moved to Great Britain, and gained voting rights, and the right to pay taxes there.

Rather than rebel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 pm 

Norm wrote:
Rose wrote:
They have the right to move to any U.S. state and become a taxpaying resident of that state, with all the rights extended any other U.S. citizen.

This may interest you...

What happens if someone from a State moves to Puerto Rico? Do they lose voting rights?

I guess the residents of the 13 colonies could have moved to Great Britain, and gained voting rights, and the right to pay taxes there.

Rather than rebel.

If they become a resident of Puerto Rico they do. If they maintain a residence in any of the 50 states they don't.

They could have. They could have also moved to Canada and continued to live under the boot heel of King George.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 pm 

Norm,

..What happens if someone from a State moves to Puerto Rico? Do they lose voting rights?..

good question. I would guess not if they had the status of ex-pat'.

Rose,

Good link.

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:52 pm 

Major wrote:
Norm wrote:
Rose wrote:

This may interest you...

Rather than rebel.

If they become a resident of Puerto Rico they do. If they maintain a residence in any of the 50 states they don't.

They could have. They could have also moved to Canada and continued to live under the boot heel of King George.

So Puerto Rico is akin to the 13 colonies before the revolution.

Living under the boot heel of the United States.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 am 

I just accidentally reposted over the second post on this thread, which read:

This may interest you...

I meant to write here: The people of Puerto Rico must decide their own future. They have three choices, and all the time in the world...

Time to go to bed. :P

US, 2018, so far: ‘Manufacturing expands at the fastest pace since May, 2004; jobless claims are the lowest since 1969; Consumer Confidence is the highest since November, 2000; unemployment is 3.7%’...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Attachment:
59dbad932d000097173095ec.jpeg
59dbad932d000097173095ec.jpeg [ 91.66 KiB | Viewed 2078 times ]

Maria Chiclano, who has no running water or power in her home, washes clothes with her sons in the Espiritu Santo river, more than two weeks after Hurricane Maria battered Puerto Rico.

The Jones Act Waiver For Puerto Rico Just Expired And Won't Be Renewed
That means the U.S. island decimated by Hurricane Maria will go back to paying double the shipping costs for food and supplies.
10/09/2017 14:06 EDT | Updated 4 hours ago

Jennifer Bendery --- White House and Congressional Reporter

WASHINGTON ― The Jones Act waiver for Puerto Rico expired Sunday night, and “it is not being extended at this time,” Department of Homeland Security spokesman David Lapan told HuffPost on Monday.

DHS had temporarily waived the Jones Act ― an arguably outdated law that imposes exorbitant shipping costs on the U.S. island ― on Sept. 28. The waiver has meant that Puerto Rico has been able to import food, fuel and supplies more quickly, and for half the cost, in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.

With the 1920 law back in effect, the island will go back to paying much higher shipping costs to import supplies.
The Jones Act requires that all goods shipped between U.S. ports be carried by U.S.-owned and operated ships, which are more expensive vessels than others in the global marketplace. That’s meant that Puerto Rico pays double the costs for goods from the U.S. mainland compared with neighboring islands ― and that U.S. vessels are making bank.

The return to higher shipping costs won’t help Puerto Rico as it tries to climb out of economic devastation. Nearly half of the 3.4 million Americans on the island still don’t have drinking water since Maria hit nearly three weeks ago. Just 15 percent have electricity. Many people still haven’t heard from loved ones, and at least 39 deaths have been attributed to the storm.

Despite the DHS position, Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello said Monday night that he wants another extension of the Jones Act waiver.

“I think we should have it,” Rossello told CBS News’ David Begnaud. “In this emergency phase, while we’re looking to sustain and save lives, we should have all of the assets at hand.”

Lapan said DHS is “always prepared to review requests on a case-by-case basis and respond quickly” to possible waivers of the Jones Act. But those decisions have to be related to national defense, he said, and are not driven by cost-related matters.

“We believe that extending the waiver is unnecessary to support the humanitarian relief efforts” on Puerto Rico, Lapan said. “There is an ample supply of Jones Act-qualified vessels to ensure that cargo is able to reach” the island.

President Donald Trump, who is spending Monday golfing, had originally hedged on waiving the Jones Act for Puerto Rico at all, saying “a lot of shippers” didn’t want him to do it. He eventually caved to pressure from lawmakers including Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

McCain has been pushing to get rid of the Jones Act altogether.
It costs Puerto Rico hundreds of millions of dollars every year, and he recently introduced legislation to nix the law.

“Now that the temporary Jones Act waiver for Puerto Rico has expired, it is more important than ever for Congress to pass my bill to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from this archaic and burdensome law,” McCain said in a statement to HuffPost. “Until we provide Puerto Rico with long-term relief, the Jones Act will continue to hinder much-needed efforts to help the people of Puerto Rico recover and rebuild from Hurricane Maria.”

Puerto Rico Reeling......
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/puer ... 7ff49239/1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm 

They were hit by two hurricanes. Maria was almost a category 5. What does any logical person expect. It's going to take years to bring the Island up to our standards.

Go along any stream in rural Latin America and you'll see people washing their clothes, like in the above picture.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm 

You wouldn't know where to start, Rose. Got a cleaner? Got a dishwasher? Got aircon? Got nice clothes, a hairdresser?

Got empathy?

Vote Republican?

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:46 pm 

"You wouldn't know where to start, Rose.
Got a cleaner?" Never
"Got a dishwasher?" No (It's been broken for years. My Husband does the dishes. He says it's to pay back for all the years I did them.)
Got aircon?" What is that? Air Conditioner? You bet!
"Got nice clothes" I haven't bought any for years.
"a hairdresser?" I Haven't been to a hairdresser since 1994. I do my own hair. (Why pay for someone else to ruin it? :P )

"Got empathy?" Yes, but I've noticed yours is selective.

Now that you think you have the right to intrude in my life, how about you? Let's have your 'tale of woe.'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

Gosh, Rose, you almost seem REAL! No quotes, no clips, no references, but straight answers from the horse's mouth. Great!

Now, how may I return the compliment?

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 pm 

aardvaark wrote:
Gosh, Rose, you almost seem REAL! No quotes, no clips, no references, but straight answers from the horse's mouth. Great!

Now, how may I return the compliment?

Just be nice.

Last edited by Rose on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 pm 

I can only be honest, sorry.

I don't have a cleaner, dishwasher or a husband.

I have central heating, paid for installation and all expenses thereafter myself.

Clothes, well, I cover my body with them, don't care about fashion or such.

Hair? A nice lady who lives round the corner comes and cuts mine about twice a year.

Empathy? I leave others to judge that in me.

That should cover it.

Back to the fray.

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39 pm 

So, you can't be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 am 

I AM nice, but not the sort of nice you might recognise.

Enough digression, onwards and upwards. Where were we in the topic?

Ah yes, Puerto Ricans doing their washing in a river after a hurricane has left them without electricity and clean running water. Completely normal for uncivilised people, eh Rose, not 'up to standard'. But it's an American territory, so why is it not getting help? Oh, hang on, the Trump popped in and quipped ..

"Now I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you've thrown our budget a little out of whack," Trump said, "because we've spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico, and that's fine. We've saved a lot of lives."

Jolly dee, hurrah hurray, the president has saved the day - except he hasn't, because the misery is still continuing.

No electricity, no clean water, disease on the ever-encroaching horizon, and does America care?

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 am 

aardvaark wrote:
I AM nice, but not the sort of nice you might recognise.

Enough digression, onwards and upwards. Where were we in the topic?

Ah yes, Puerto Ricans doing their washing in a river after a hurricane has left them without electricity and clean running water. Completely normal for uncivilised people, eh Rose, not 'up to standard'. But it's an American territory, so why is it not getting help? Oh, hang on, the Trump popped in and quipped ..

"Now I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you've thrown our budget a little out of whack," Trump said, "because we've spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico, and that's fine. We've saved a lot of lives."

Jolly dee, hurrah hurray, the president has saved the day - except he hasn't, because the misery is still continuing.

No electricity, no clean water, disease on the ever-encroaching horizon, and does America care?

The above post is mean-spirited. Yes, in rural Latin America people do wash their clothes in streams. Who am I to criticize them?

I never thought they were "uncivilized"...just taking advantage of their beautiful environment...where children could play and laundry could be extra clean and fresh.

Right now we're recovering from three hurricanes. Entire infrastructures have to be rebuilt, and it's going to take time. They're working as fast as they can.

What else did President Trump say? I heard him say he is going to rebuild the Island.

How are the British Virgin Islands doing? Do you know?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:57 am 

"Geraldo Blasts 'Fake News' Reports About Trump's Visit to Puerto Rico"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMPOglS_ZzI

"Puerto Rico Governor Breaks His Silence..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNLV0_0pqk

Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rossello News Conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQSzPYJkPI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 am 
Site Admin

So apparently FEMA gets to pick and choose whom to help. Or is it directed by the straw haired one?? Either way, they are heartless, self-absorbed bastards----and absolute rascist.

Attachment:
7841.jpeg
7841.jpeg [ 211.9 KiB | Viewed 1998 times ]

This is in Santurce, Puerto Rico.
YESTERDAY. Oct 10!!
Keep that in mind when you read this.

FEMA: "Not our job to deliver water and food" to Puerto Ricans.
Think I am making this up? Wrong!

By Victor Klemperer

FEMA says it is not their responsibility to distribute food and water to Puerto Rican survivors of Maria and Irma, according to a recent report by Rachel Maddow. Are you serious?!

That was the response Rachel got when FEMA was asked why it has been almost 3 weeks since the last hurricane hit Aibonito, a small town high in the mountains about an hour south of San Juan, and FEMA has yet to deliver a single bottle of water.

FEMA claims the roads aren’t passable.
For the record, when I say “about an hour south” I mean Google Maps puts the drive — right now — at 1 hour and 5 minutes if I take the autopista (highway). BUT it also says there are portions of the road that are closed. Soooo you have to take route 173 and that takes 1 hour and 24 minutes. Maybe Google is wrong, right?
It would be nice if someone on the ground could actually make the trip…. oh wait… what’s that? The MSNBC film crew already made the trip and it took them “about an hour and a half.”

As an MSNBC video shows, they got there no problem because the road was clear.
No bridges out, no trees in the way, no mudslides, no raging rivers.
Not even bad hombres.

I realize the last menace would be Mexicans and there shouldn’t be any Mexicans clogging up the roads in Puerto Rico right now.
But we all know to the Trump Klan, Puerto Ricans are just Island Mexicans, so they probably worry about that sort of thing.

Presented with the fact of Maddow’s team having video evidence directly contradicting their claims, FEMA then dropped this bombshell: Apparently, FEMA says it is the mayor’s job to distribute food and water. They are just there to help people fill out paperwork.

Forget the fact that about half of the people in Puerto Rico have no access to clean water.
Forget the fact that it is now confirmed that people are dying from waterborne diseases like leptospirosis because they lack potable water.
Forget the fact mayors in small towns didn’t even have satellite phones until a couple days ago. Forget the fact mayors don’t have fleets of trucks at their disposal. They sure as hell don’t have gas for the trucks they do have.
Oh… and when they do, look out the window because the situation can always change on you.
Good thing FEMA doesn’t have to deal with that. We’d really be screwed.

Maybe it’s just too damn bad.
A real tragedy.
If only there was something we could do.
If only FEMA could help.
Especially when FOX News reported THIS about FEMA in Lakeland, FL responding to the crisis following a recent hurricane that hit there:

LAKELAND, FLA. (FOX 13) -
People who are worn out from Hurricane Irma are getting help in Polk County.
On Friday, FEMA starting handing out free food and water at 11 different sites around the county, including Victory Church.
A long line of cars formed at 8 a.m., and continued throughout the day. Many of the people who came still don’t have electricity.

The difference? Unlike Aibonito, Lakeland is over 70% white, and that is the darkest part of Polk County.

But I’m sure that has nothing to do with it.

While we are pretending this isn’t the most racist federal government in 70 years, explain something to me Mike Pence, you shameless hypocrite.
When you stood in a House of God in Puerto Rico and declared from the pulpit after reading scripture: “We are with you today, we are with you tomorrow.”

Were you being literal?
Or did you only mean you were with Puerto Ricans until October 8th?
I ask because shortly after you went off to do your Sunday Football PR stunt, you guys let the Jones Act reactivate.
Not only did you throw up a choke point on every domestic relief operation heading towards Puerto Rico, you also raised the prices on EVERYTHING coming in to Puerto Rico at a time when people are desperately trying to get stuff to family and friends stranded on an island.
In the middle of water. Big water. Ocean water.
You know this isn’t like Lakeland Florida where folks can drive to Georgia if they need to.
Way to go, douchebag.

I suppose I shouldn’t be shocked by this.
I mean, yeah you guys are a bunch of white supremacists and all, but this sure doesn’t sound like the Christian thing to do.
Especially from a guy who has the balls to let his wife lead a church in prayer after reading a bible passage that says:

“Love one another with mutual affection.”

I’ll be honest. I’m not shocked. Not even a little bit.
This confirms what I have been saying all along.
The game plan in Puerto Rico is clear.

The sons of bitches are going to grind those poor bastards into dust, trigger a mass exodus of those who can afford to leave, and then swoop in and buy up the land at fire sale prices so they can build high priced condos to use as real estate for their next international money laundering scheme.

What surprises me?
There are still Puerto Ricans who think the most racist government in 70 years is going to help them.

While we are at it. Someone needs to remind FEMA about their OWN WEBSITE. Where it states in Black and White their CORE CAPABILITIES, including this:

Critical Transportation
Mission Area: Response
Description: Provide transportation (including infrastructure access and accessible transportation services) for response priority objectives, including the evacuation of people and animals, and the delivery of vital response personnel, equipment, and services into the affected areas.

Call me crazy if you want, but I would put delivering water down as a “vital service” for people stranded in the mountains for weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 am 

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/pue ... s-1250225/

Translation:

Quote:
Mollusc will throw politicians to steal supplies

The animator is receiving videos and photos of politicians allegedly appropriating basic necessities for the victims.

Jorge Pabón "el Mollusco" can not conceive that while he and others have roofs, food and water, there are citizens in need who, more than 20 days after Hurricane Maria, have not received supplies.

Even more. It boils his blood to know that officials are currently being investigated for allegedly appropriating supplies for the victims.

The animator of the radio program El goldo and the pelayo of La Mega, he said, has been receiving images and photos in which politicians are allegedly taking possession of necessities for victims of the cyclone.

Yesterday, the presenter posted on his social networks a piece of news in which a woman tells how to fill a pick up with supplies that were for victims.

Items appear to be taken from a location that is not identified as a business establishment.
Then the vehicle is seen in the marquee of a house, which the voice points out is the representative of the district 30 of Guayama and Arroyo, Luis Ramón "Narmito" Ortiz. In the video you see some people lowering the cargo carrying the red pick up.

In front of the residence appears a campaign bus of Ortiz, identified with his name and an image of him.

"It has me without lame ... if they bother. But I'm going to throw them in the middle, "Mollusco said yesterday when he was approached by Primera Hora.

"Yesterday I threw some hints into the air without saying the name of that rep who appears in the video but never responded. I now shared the visual It is already viral and with the video I am asking the representative a series of questions. I'm not accusing him. I'm asking you a number of things, "said the animator.

"I want to think that he (Ortiz) bought those items. Explain to us, to show us the receipt of purchase. I am getting thousands and thousands of e-mails from people asking for help and sending proof of these things that are happening. The governor knows this is happening, so the feds are now investigating, "he said.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/pue ... s-1250225/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 am 

Under the photograph:
Quote:
According to him, he has been receiving images and photos in which politicians are allegedly taking possession of necessities for victims of the cyclone. (Archive)

Attachments:
Jorge Pabón.jpg
Jorge Pabón.jpg [ 12.2 KiB | Viewed 1995 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:17 am 

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/pue ... a-1250246/

Quote:
FEMA advances $54.6 million to Electric Power

He added that "this is an advance so that the AEE can continue with the hiring and its work team, and the overtime in which they already incurred."

PONCE.- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) advanced an allocation of $ 54.6 million for the reconstruction of the Electric Power Authority (ESA) system.
This was reported by Alejandro de la Campa, director of FEMA in Puerto Rico.

"Today, in coordination with the government of Puerto Rico, we are approving the AEE allocation of 54.6 million," De la Campa said.

He added that "this is an advance so that the AEE can continue with the hiring and its work team, and the overtime in which they already incurred."

"But I want to make it clear that this week we are going to approve money for all municipalities, for AEE, the Aqueduct and Sewer Authority, the Police and other dependencies of the government," the official added after a visit to Ponce with Governor Ricardo Rossello.

For his part, Rossello said that money "is very important" because "one of the reasons we started working with the Corps of Engineers is because there was no need to share in spending."

"$115 million in contracts are already being given, over 50,000 posts are coming to the Island; I think there are 6,500 miles of cables for all Puerto Rico and over 50 generators of 400 we request, "Rossello said.

"There was a lack of materials and now these materials are coming. That is why the advancement of what has already been requested by the Corps of Engineers and what can be done by the AEE itself is being given, "he continued.

The Chief Executive also indicated that to the extent that FEMA disburses the projected items, the ESA will be able to attend the tasks for which it had no liquidity.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/pue ... a-1250246/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 am 

FEMA Puerto Rico News:

https://www.fema.gov/states/puerto-rico

View all News Releases for Puerto Rico

https://www.fema.gov/news-releases?fiel ... er_page=10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Ahh yes...all those Puerto Ricans can soon chow down on money----while the fire hazard-hired one makes sure all his buddies reap as much profit from these disasters as possible.

Sure hope all those electrical supplies aren't on some boat out there. Cuz they'll cost at least four times their normal by the time they make land.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:57 pm 

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/est ... o-1250274/

Translation:

Quote:
White House asks for loan of $4.9 billion for Puerto Rico

it is intended to be added to the resolution containing the $12.770 million FEMA disaster fund.

Washington. - Along with the $4.9 billion loan proposed last night, the Republican leadership of Congress will add to the emergency resolution it wants to approve this week to address mainly the disasters caused by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and the [American] Virgin Islands, $1 billion in allocations for food assistance.

The $1 billion would come out of the fund to address Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) disasters, according to Washington-based Commissioner Jenniffer Gonzalez.

Although Puerto Rico is not part of the SNAP because it receives food assistance funds under the program known as PAN, it would have access to the money from that special allowance, Gonzalez said.

The resolution will also include language that promotes maintaining the level of support of the Pentagon in Puerto Rico as long as necessary.

Last night, President Donald Trump asked Congress to authorize a *$4.9 billion dollar loan for Puerto Rico through the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (DCA) disaster relief program.

The resolution already included the $12.770 million that would fill the coffers of the FEMA disaster relief program and $16 billion to pay federal flood insurance debt.

The measure will include about $500 million to mitigate the damages caused by forest fires in California.

http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/est ... o-1250274/

Quote:
Trump Asks Congress For $4.9 Billion Loan To Puerto Rico
The territory, whose 3.4 million residents are American citizens, declared bankruptcy in May.

Roberta Rampton...

*https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-congress-loan-puerto-rico_us_59dd78dde4b04fc4e1e9bef7

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next