UK Trumpism

Current Affairs, Religion and Politics - as before. Please refrain from personal attacks on members who may hold a different viewpoint from you. Don't Rock the Boat!
laurie 53

UK Trumpism

Post by laurie 53 »

Johnson's slavish obsession with Trump is well demonstrated by the Cabinet reshuffle.

Sack those who tell the truth and surround yourself with yes persons, sycophants and self seekers:

A veritable model of Trunpism!

Downlander

Re: UK Trumpism

Post by Downlander »

laurie 53 wrote:Johnson's slavish obsession with Trump is well demonstrated by the Cabinet reshuffle.

Sack those who tell the truth and surround yourself with yes persons, sycophants and self seekers:

Trumpism !!! what tosh, Your post is based, not on facts but what you would like to believe.

We shall have to wait and see if Boris's desire to form a successful team all pulling in the same direction bears fruit. It does not surprise me that Javid has gone, he was never going to be part of Johnson's team in the long term.
You Are What You Think.....
Not What You Think You Are.....

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

So Boris has replaced the bus driver's son with the Winchester educated son -in-law of a billionaire . Not so much Trumpism as traditional Toryism at its worst

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

It does not surprise me that Javid has gone, he was never going to be part of Johnson's team in the long term.

My point exactly!

He may regret it.

Keep your close friends but your enemies closer!

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

logicalN wrote:So Boris has replaced the bus driver's son with the Winchester educated son -in-law of a billionaire . Not so much Trumpism as traditional Toryism at its worst
Since when has being a bus driver been a prerequisite of a Minister of the Crown?
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Downlander

Post by Downlander »

logicalN wrote:So Boris has replaced the bus driver's son with the Winchester educated son -in-law of a billionaire . Not so much Trumpism as traditional Toryism at its worst
Seems you would have been happy if he had appointed a secondary school educated person from a council estate.

Personally I believe the best person available should get the job. I believe Sunak is an extremely able politician who is destined to achieve good things. I don't think the fact that he went to an excellent school should be held against him.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

Winchester and Eton are "secondary" schools in all but name , it's a level of education not a classification that even exists in most areas

Boris's attitude is typical of the so called elite public schools . Let the oiks do the donkey work , then we'll take the glory

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

Downlander

You seem to be using council estate in a pejorative sense.

I was born and raised on a council estate, as were my parents and their parents before them.

Inverted snobbery is worse than the standard sort.

Downlander

Post by Downlander »

laurie 53 wrote:Downlander

You seem to be using council estate in a pejorative sense.

I was born and raised on a council estate, as were my parents and their parents before them.

Inverted snobbery is worse than the standard sort.
I'm sorry you feel like that Laurie, however I believe my comments require no further explanation. In response to members posts, my expressed views are clear and not demeaning of others.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

Javid was comprehensive school educated and his father might have been a shopkeeper in Bristol but Stapleton Road was an area I wouldn't have gone to at night
You don't seem to realise that in some cities (and Bristol was a prime example) the choice for most in the post war tears was a flat in an old Georgian house or a council house . Council housing was used as police housing and shared by people who today would be expected to be owner occupiers, a Concorde test pilot lived in a Hengrove council house . As for education , 3 adjacent council houses , 6 children , 1 slightly handicapped ,5 at the recognised best schools in Bristol

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

Background should not matter, but upbringing does.

George Thomas came from the same sort of industrial and working class background in the South Wales coalfield as Mick Martin did in the Gorbals of Glasgow, but they couldn't have been more different.

George Thomas was proud of his background, Martin wallowed in it.

Despite protestations to the contrary, we do not live in a classless society and while someone from Bexhill Grammar can get to the top, the one from Winchester, or even Fettes, will find it easier.

We should be looking at ability and potential, not background, and pick the best person for the job.

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

Surely this change is all to do with a chancellor who does not wish to do what the PM demands and nothing whatever to do with their credentials?
Good for Boris I say.
It has been a long while since a government has had such a large majority and it would seem normal to me that the PM can have whatever cabinet he or she chooses.
For too long opposition to the government (and opposing factions within the Conservative party) have relied on a slender House of Commons majority to hinder the PM.
Their power has gone.
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

laurie 53

Post by laurie 53 »

I agree. Boris is not a favourite of mine, but we are long overdue someone strong at the top.

The Cabinet Office has more leaks than Henry's bucket and if Boris can plug a few (other than his own, of course!), good.

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

laurie 53 wrote:Johnson's slavish obsession with Trump is well demonstrated by the Cabinet reshuffle.

I don't think that's true at all. Firstly, back in December, just after the election, there was speculation about a cabinet reshuffle. Names were named and when the reshuffle came about guess what? These were the names that went, not because they weren't yes men (or indeed yes women!) but because they'd reached their sell by date, in most cases. As for Javid, he wasn't pushed out, he chose to resign. Also if Johnson is slavishly obsessed with Trump, why did he give the green light to Huawei?
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Each government with a large majority tries to get a cabinet team with the strongest support,

And even more so with a small majority. Only need to look back over the past few decades and both sides of the political divide.

Sajid Javid should be given an important job where his experience would count, Foreign Affairs, perhaps.