Update

For General Chat about anything and everything.
Stormy
Site Admin

Update

Post by Stormy »

On this coming Tuesday, it will be 8 weeks since my wife had her total knee replacement operation at Kettering General Hospital. Just over a fortnight ago, she thought she was doing very badly. This was because she had intense pain in her ankle, her leg felt generally numb and she was having difficulty sleeping. I too was concerned but tried not to show it. Anyway, on 10th Jan she had to go to physio, here in Northampton and she was dreading it. She came out smiling! The physiotherapist had assessed her and told her that by being already able to raise her leg to 95 degrees, she was doing really well. She had done away with the zimmer frame and was walking on crutches. Her walk was normal, no dragging the feet, this was also a very good sign.

The ankle pain is a very common result of such an op, all the nerve connections are upset due to the extensive soft tissue invasion and this corrects itself with time. So is the numbness, a common symptom.
During the next week, the pain became less, she was walking around the house, only one crutch - sometimes no crutch! Building up confidence. Now she's back in pain again but there has been a marked decrease in numbness. Probably due to everything waking up.
She goes to Kettering on Thursday to see the surgeon, for a review and then physio again on Friday. Will report back then. Hopefully she might be able to go for short flat walks with the ramblers, come the summer.
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Old Peculier

Re: Update

Post by Old Peculier »

Good news Stormy. Before I had my first hip replacement I had to attend a "hip and knee" class at the hospital, where we were told about what to expect.
During the course of this we were told that those of us having hips done would be free of pain almost immediately, those with knee replacements would experience pain for approx. 6 weeks, then they would be as good as new.

Rosie

Post by Rosie »

knee replacements are more complicated than hips therefore the recuperation time is longer. But it sounds as if she is slowly getting there and it’s the best time of year to be mending, ready for those lovely summer walks..

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

Very good news, Stormy!

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

Old Peculier wrote: During the course of this we were told that those of us having hips done would be free of pain almost immediately, those with knee replacements would experience pain for approx. 6 weeks, then they would be as good as new.
Not true! It can take considerably longer than this, for knee replacements although some very lucky people may recover more quickly. The physio told Kathy not to listen to stories of quick recovery, no two people are the same. Also, she met a woman there, who'd had it done in September, was not as advanced in recovery as Kathy. It can take up to 18 months to recover completely, although significant improvement should be apparent after about 6 months.
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Stormy - Great to hear your news and Bestest Wishes for a full recovery, very soon, so the two of you can go back to your regular and enjoyable activities.

John o Wirral

Post by John o Wirral »

Great news. I hope she has a speed recovery.

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

Just come back from Kettering, Kathy's review from the surgeon who did the op. Everything proceeding AOK!