SSE

For General Chat about anything and everything.
etcetera

SSE

Post by etcetera »

Does anyone have their gas & leccy supplied by SSE? If so, are you happy with them, would you recommend them?

I'm moving home & they are the company who supply the energy in the new one; I'm with Npower here now & of course they are keen to keep supplying me. But if I get any good reviews of SSE, I'll probably stick with them.

:whathesaid:

etcetera

Re: SSE

Post by etcetera »

Just discovered that OVO are taking them over at the end of this year.
I've heard very good things about OVO, so that should be good.

Old Peculier

Post by Old Peculier »

We've been with OVO for a few years, can't fault them. They even pay you interest when you're in credit - recently claimed back £500 from them!

etcetera

Post by etcetera »

Thank you, OP.

lottie

Post by lottie »

Yes Ovo is good andsome recommended them to me which resulted in both of us received a thank you gift
" I can and I will when I can"

Anya

Post by Anya »

I moved to SSE many years ago and they were very good, for a long time. There was one small problem and they gave me a direct number foir one of the managers, nice Scottish gentleman, with a lovely soft highland lilt, he was more than helpful.

They started doing Broadband, at a very low price, so I gave Rancid Virgin 'onourable elbow and went with SSE, resulting in NO internet, for MONTHS, despite my lovely Scotch gent; Supposed to be down to BT but nobody seemed to have the faintest idea what was happening. It was sorted out, eventually and, just a couple of years later, their prices went sky hight, for the utilities, phone and Net. So I moved to Ebico and their one single tariff, for gas and electrickery - use more, pay more - use less, pay less - that was the promise. Recently, they reneged on all their promises. so I am looking at Pure Planet, with their single tariffs and also Ovo.

Few months ago, I bought a new telly and SKY was offering a good deal - Broadband and a large telly package, phone, with line rental, free calls, even oversea, free caller identity and other facilities, all included. They did all the changes themselves, with no problem. They have just sent a leaflet offering unlimited Broadband, unlimited phone calls, line rental and a couple of dozen telly channels - for £20 or £26 per month - guaranteed for three years. Sounds reasonably competitive. Broadband and phone can cost more than that and then call charges, line rental and other costs usually have to be added.

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

Don't go with E.ON !!!!!

While we're on the subject, any meter readers on here?
Image Don't stop doing things because you are getting old.... as you will only get old if you stop doing things.

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Ovo. Let me recommend you and we'll both get £50. Been with them three years, very very happy.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attr. Edmund Burke

http://www.aardisden.co.uk/

Anya

Post by Anya »

OVO unwilling to give the tariff per kilowatt.

At present, Pure Planet offer one basic tariff for electrickery and gas, to all customers. Use less, pay less - Use more, pay more. How long that will last in the laps of the energy gods.

Skyrunner
Site Admin

Post by Skyrunner »

Yes, I know Aardi, that's what I want to do. E.ON won't allow it.
Image Don't stop doing things because you are getting old.... as you will only get old if you stop doing things.

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Anya wrote:OVO unwilling to give the tariff per kilowatt.
I don't know what you mean by this. Can you explain?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Attr. Edmund Burke

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Actually Sky, it's £75! I hope you'll soon be in a position to benefit from it. And me too, of course! :wink3:
IMG_20190921_232635.jpg
IMG_20190921_232635.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

Attr. Edmund Burke

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

I too have been with OVO for some years and have been very happy with them. I was even happier recently, when I discovered that I'd been overpaying them and my account was in credit for well over 300 pounds. So I asked for and received a refund. Couldn't have been better timed, my car insurance is due on Oct 6th.
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Stormy, when you're in credit with Ovo they give you 4% interest for new customers, 5% after a few months!

I don't know of any other energy company that does that.

And, if you keep au fait with your online account with them, they TELL you when you're paying too much and invite you to decrease your direct debit. You obviously don't check very often.

Attr. Edmund Burke

Stormy
Site Admin

Post by Stormy »

No I don't! The only time I log in, is in order to send my meter readings. I refuse to have a so called smart meter.
Protestors are much more violently opposed to fur than they are to leather. Why? Because it's much easier to hassle rich women than bikers.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Those with OVO and other companies. What is the price per kilowatt, for electrickety and gas? Are there standing charges?

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Attr. Edmund Burke

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Stormy wrote:No I don't! The only time I log in, is in order to send my meter readings. I refuse to have a so called smart meter.

Me too, every seventh day of the month, that's when they do their accounts. I won't have a smart meter, either! Reading a meter once a month is no hardship!

I can't understand how you racked up as much as over £300 credit. :o If I'm overpaying they invite me to decrease my direct debit, which they did recently, from £51 to £42. They like you to have two month's worth of bills in credit, just to balance out in the colder months.

Attr. Edmund Burke

Anya

Post by Anya »

Nope! They don't make it easy. Over the past few days I scrolled down their various pages, more than once, endless varbiage and still no idea what they charge - per kw - for each utility.

That always puts me right off and shall try Pure Planet.

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

Anya if you'd just used a bit of application you'd have found this:
IMG_20190924_140237.jpg
IMG_20190924_140237.jpg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
This is for electricity, based on my own postcode. The gas one is on the next page. If you put your own postcode in you'll get your answer for your area.

Follow the instructions in the link I posted.

Attr. Edmund Burke

Anya

Post by Anya »

aardie - I pay just under 18p per kilowatt, with no standing charges.

The utility company want to increase prices and introduce standing charges, that's why I am looking at changing suppliers.

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

You could try a 'thank you' Anya. I didn't expect one, anyway.

I pay £42 a month for gas and electricity at the moment for a 3 bedroom house without cavity walls. I am £114 in credit, which is fine in advance of winter. The page I posted is a quote but not personalised as I didn't give details of my house and my local area housing is quite variable.

I am extremely happy with Ovo, their customer service is excellent. Other companies might be cheaper but good service is what I want.

I don't know why you don't request a quote yourself for your own area. Or have you? You haven't said.

They do have a selection of tariffs, here's a screenshot showing electricity and gas for their Better Energy plan.
IMG_20190926_145944.jpg
IMG_20190926_145944.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

Attr. Edmund Burke

Anya

Post by Anya »

aardie - Being happy with your suppler is important. I don't want a quotation - for my area - over the past many years each of my suppliers provided no standing charges and one single tariff, for each utility, to all their customers, apart from those in the Outer Hebrides or Lundy and I imagine those places make their own electrickery, anyway.

When my suppliers change that policy and want to introduce standing charges, with dozens of different tariffs, I move on.

Scotston

Post by Scotston »

aardvaark wrote:You could try a 'thank you' Anya. I didn't expect one, anyway.

I pay £42 a month for gas and electricity at the moment for a 3 bedroom house without cavity walls. I am £114 in credit, which is fine in advance of winter. The page I posted is a quote but not personalised as I didn't give details of my house and my local area housing is quite variable.

I am extremely happy with Ovo, their customer service is excellent. Other companies might be cheaper but good service is what I want.

I don't know why you don't request a quote yourself for your own area. Or have you? You haven't said.

They do have a selection of tariffs, here's a screenshot showing electricity and gas for their Better Energy plan.
IMG_20190926_145944.jpg
This is v. interesting. People might be interested in comparisons so here goes reading the info from my high-tec all singing and dancing Smart Meter.
With Utility Warehouse my rates (fixed til' next year ):
Elec. 14.324p with Standing Charge 18.877p per diem
Gas 3.51p with Standing Charge 18.005p per diem

I too am not really looking for a quote as we have everything with the same company and only get one bill per month for lecci, gas, phone, broadband & mobile phone.
But it is interesting all the same to see how the other half lives and pays.
Beware!! Chinese virus

aardvaark

Post by aardvaark »

My daily rate and cost per kilowatt is less than the screenshot I posted.

Also, I get 5% interest on my balance in credit, paid each month. (It's 4% for new customers.)

I'm on a 2 year fixed deal until 2021. I don't have a smart meter and won't have one! The powers-that-be already know enough about me!

I'm not the 'how the other half lives', I'm in the other half!

Attr. Edmund Burke