It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: No Debt.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:18 am 

Now that I've had to give up the car so no longer having payments to make or fuel on my credit card, I actually am not in dept to anybody for the first time since I started work in 1953.

I know that many people go through their whole lives without dent (or say they do - never forgotten their wallet or had milk, newspapers delivered?) but for an average guy like me it's a novel experience.

It'll only last until I use my debit card after banking hours, of course, and technically is not true since I have used electricity I haven't yet paid fotr, but a pretty good feeling all the same!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: No Debt.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it's great. Since paying off my mortgage, more than 25 years ago, I've been in the same happy position. I never buy anything on credit either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am 

quite a lot of my spending is on Credit Cards, but I always clear them each month. I just find it more convenient, and I get cashback at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm 

I never any debt, if I can possibly help it. Even newspapers are no longer delivered and I cannot remember the last time I saw a milk person.

Fir the occasional large item I do use the (one) credit card, because of the extra insurance but I pay it off as quickly as I can. I reckon the highest interest I ever paid is one point seven percent.
:smiles:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 pm 

I would say that anyone who pays for electricity/gas/water in arrears, is in debt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 am 

The only time I'm in debt is pushing trolley round a supermarket ......till I get to till and pay for it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:37 am 
Site Admin

The only time debt is a problem is when you cannot pay it back, otherwise it poses no problem whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 pm 

I use a credit card as you can use up to 6 weeks of the card issuers money and pay for everything in one hit. As I pay no interest charges do they like me, or hate me? At any time my wallet holds about £28k s worth of credit. All the PIN numbers are different!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm 

tuesdays child wrote:
At any time my wallet holds about £28k s worth of credit. All the PIN numbers are different!

I'm glad to learn that I am not the only one who has a different number for every card. :wink4:

It is good for security but sometimes I struggle as the numbers are not, of course, written down. After a while, the numbers become second nature, apart from the odd card that I rarely use and have as a backup.

Using the facility to simply wave the card at the machine card-reader means that there is a danger of getting them jumbled as when I am asked for my phone number. I almost never use it; it is written as HOME in my phones.
Problems, problems!! :lala: :lala: :lala: :lala:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm 

Scotston, we are only trying to confuse the bastards that are trying to have our money away. My wallet consists of a Faraday cage!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm 

With solar panels, my direct debit for gas and electrickery is minute and usually well in credit, many months of the year, so they send me a refund.

Had a bit of a fight when first organised but they seem to be fully tamed now.