It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Deterring Badgers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm 

I wonder if anyone has any idea's as to "Deterring Badgers"? Never had a problem before but now I have grass verge outside my property (which I keep cut and keep tidy) and for some reason they (the Badgers) have decided it needs "turning over".

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Deterring Badgers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:06 pm 

It's probably full of lovely worms.

Here are a few suggestions. I am sure you can carry out the first one at no cost!
https://blog.fantasticservices.com/how- ... eterrents/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:11 pm 

Star wrote:
It's probably full of lovely worms.

Here are a few suggestions. I am sure you can carry out the first one at no cost!
https://blog.fantasticservices.com/how- ... eterrents/

Brilliant, great minds think alike. I sat in my shed and thought, "what do Badger most dislike". And while I was going to the toilet I thought "human activity" Then I thought hold on I can't stand outside all night but what would give them the "scent" I was around. The answer so to speak was in my hands, so a bottle was found a spray gun has been cleaned, and tonight "a spraying I will go". Thanks Star. :wink4:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm 

Scotston wrote:

Very good but seeing me in a "Badger skin" would I fear have dramatic effects on the Local population. :wink4:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:15 pm 

I wish you luck in your quest. If you succeed you may never have to work again - farmers will pay thousands to keep their cattle free of TB.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:23 pm 

I use distraction , cheap dog food on a concrete surface behind the house keeps them (and the local foxes) off the lawns at the front . It's worked for over 20 years

Farmers always forget the other possible vector that has frequent contact with their herds , humans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 pm 

laurie 53 wrote:
I wish you luck in your quest. If you succeed you may never have to work again - farmers will pay thousands to keep their cattle free of TB.

Yes, and as after I thought if I can (forgive the expression) con my wife into believing I would have to keep at it, and "lay" the scent each night, and if I was to make it "strong" which would mean a couple of "Large ones" each night and she believed me, what a success. :happy:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 am 

Farmers always forget the other possible vector that has frequent contact with their herds , humans

I understand that while humans can contact bovine TB, they are not a vector, and do not spread it. I am a country boy born and bred, and love badgers and hate foxes, but (contrary yo my views on the Salisbury nerve agent!) the evidence against them is pretty damning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am 

What is the incidence of bovine TB in the Chillingham herd and other similar low contact communities ? I've never been able to find out .Are we not being told because it would spoil a pet theory?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:48 pm 

What started out (on my part) to ask how to stop Badgers digging up my "Grass" humanly, (and so far the method I am using seems to have worked, although my wife is causing a problem because of Bottles of strange coloured fluid hanging about) has led to an interesting wider view. Question can Domestic animals catch TB from "roaming Badgers? Or for that matter can Humans catch the disease?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm 

There was a recent cluster of human cases in Birmingham which was blamed on contact with cattle rather than badgers .Presumably they could then have passed it to other humans but nothing has been publicised since

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm 

Has always been doubtful whether cattle pass tubercolosis to badgers, rather than the other way around.

Moving cattle all the time is seen as the most likely cause of the never ending epidemic. Safe vaccines exist but we are too clever to use them.

Wonder how long it will take to realise that farm animals should remain on the same farm, fed natural food, killed locally and humanely. ALL meat should be local.

Male animals need to be moved, in order to prevent inbreeding and that could be done much more carefully than it is at present. Testing each animal before it is moved and at regular intervals after that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am 

Anya wrote:
Has always been doubtful whether cattle pass tubercolosis to badgers, rather than the other way around.

Moving cattle all the time is seen as the most likely cause of the never ending epidemic. Safe vaccines exist but we are too clever to use them.

Wonder how long it will take to realise that farm animals should remain on the same farm, fed natural food, killed locally and humanely. ALL meat should be local.

Male animals need to be moved, in order to prevent inbreeding and that could be done much more carefully than it is at present. Testing each animal before it is moved and at regular intervals after that.

Very Interesting. We have a Local Milkman who delivers milk to us but who owns his own farm. He was concerned as to the forth coming Brexit but when questioned it appears we import quite a lot of Dairy products from the EU. Do the Europeans have the same controls re-TB or on cattle?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm 

You may well ask.

Go to some remote areas of France and many other European countries and see the filthy farms.

The day we realise that paying a little bit more, for local produce, would benefit us, the animals, the farmers, the economy of this whole country. And save all that pollution from millions of filthy lorries.

Biggest problem are the greedy supermarkets and their cartel. Cynically putting local farmers out of business. Always trying to buy cheaper and cheaper, to be sold at ever increasing prices.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 pm 

Anya wrote:
You may well ask.

Go to some remote areas of France and many other European countries and see the filthy farms.

The day we realise that paying a little bit more, for local produce, would benefit us, the animals, the farmers, the economy of this whole country. And save all that pollution from millions of filthy lorries.

Biggest problem are the greedy supermarkets and their cartel. Cynically putting local farmers out of business. Always trying to buy cheaper and cheaper, to be sold at ever increasing prices.

Again the Farmer told me that he nearly went out of Business for that reason, as to Super-markets.

But having no wish to bring the on going battle of Brexit to this quite neck of the woods, but when you think of what our Farmers have to conform too, and then as you post what "get away with in the EU" it does make one think. And on a totally different point but still as to Hygiene, I read today that the EU have forbidden the Australian Government to continue to label a Pack of Cigarettes as "Smoking Kills". It appears the EU holds the copyright. You could make it up. ;thinking:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 pm 

There are EU Directives covering bovine TB, which all members have to stick to. So it's not a free-for-all.

I don't think the EU are telling Australia what to do. There's a media story about what cigarette health labelling the UK might use after Brexit. The graphics we use now are EU-owned but we may still be able to access them as part of our future trade relationship. But if we have 'no deal' it's possible we may not, so just in case the government have made an arrangement with Australia to use their picture library, which is very similar anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm 

Lighthouse wrote:
There are EU Directives covering bovine TB, which all members have to stick to. So it's not a free-for-all.

I don't think the EU are telling Australia what to do. There's a media story about what cigarette health labelling the UK might use after Brexit. The graphics we use now are EU-owned but we may still be able to access them as part of our future trade relationship. But if we have 'no deal' it's possible we may not, so just in case the government have made an arrangement with Australia to use their picture library, which is very similar anyway.

Thank you kindly "Light House" for clearing that up, I was concerned as to a "Copyright" that stopped displaying what is an very important message. As to the EU Directives, are you seriously suggesting that a countries as to those of Eastern Europe take note and behave in an orderly manner and abide by a EU rulings?
Come, Come, your a very intelligent person. :wink4:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:29 pm 

They have to comply with TB testing, inspections and so on, like all countries. I think they are doing quite well -some E. European countries (not every one) seem be free of the disease now. Unlike us! I read that the EU have given us £millions to help tackle it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 am 

Lighthouse wrote:
They have to comply with TB testing, inspections and so on, like all countries. I think they are doing quite well -some E. European countries (not every one) seem be free of the disease now. Unlike us! I read that the EU have given us £millions to help tackle it.

I wonder where those £millions went!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:53 pm 

That's the laugh of it. The Brussels buffoons continually produce more and more inane laws and regulations. One cause of grave discontent and not just here.

Most member countries simply ignore each and every regulation, with France as the standard bearer. Only Britain felt the need to abide to EVERY mindless diktat.

The fanatical fantasy about the EU-SSR is often held by people who have never been anywhere in Europe, apart from perhaps a couple of weeks on the Costa-Lot.

Just visit a few farms, in various member countries and see where our supermarkets get their - cheap - foods and meat.

And see the enormous pollution caused by transporting so many foods that could be produced here, in cleaner and much better regulated conditions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm 

Damn the EU and their pesky laws that regulate our food.

The push for cheaper and cheaper food is simply because there's a demand for it in some quarters. A lot goes into processed ready meals. One of the supposed benefits of a hard Brexit, according to those who want such a thing is that it could mean food from Asia, Africa, the USA etc becomes even cheaper. That will be very bad for UK producers - some will simply fold.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am 

Purwell wrote:
Lighthouse wrote:

I wonder where those £millions went!

Excellent question, I just wonder if any have not only the answers as to the Millions sent, but which Bank account was it "channelled" into.

But on the subject which started this further questioning of "the Failing EU", the Badgers have not since appeared after the wonderful use of a waste product was applied. :wink4:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 pm 

No much sense for ANY regulations to be made, if member countries simply ignore each one and have done so since the beginning of then EEC.

For each country to become as self-sufficient, as possible, in food and many other goods would only be sensible. Much better control and no millions of lorries destroying the atmosphere and the environment.

That would require a strong government, taking on the greedy supermarkets, so I ain't 'olding me breath.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 pm 

Anya wrote:
No much sense for ANY regulations to be made, if member countries simply ignore each one and have done so since the beginning of then EEC.

For each country to become as self-sufficient, as possible, in food and many other goods would only be sensible. Much better control and no millions of lorries destroying the atmosphere and the environment.

That would require a strong government, taking on the greedy supermarkets, so I ain't 'olding me breath.

And so it has been from the start of the Brussels nightmare controlled by unaccountable and un-elected Bureaucrats.
As a follow up question. Are Badgers controlled by Brussels? If so it would explain why my Grass Land is being attacked. :shock: