It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SCAMS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:57 pm 

This morning. My wife received an e=mail. Purporting to be from T.V. licensing. Concerning a refund. So she spoke to them, about the refund being paid into her bank account. This afternoon. Another E-mail supposedly from the bank. About a scam concerning a refund. (Same people.) They said that they had discovered a scam. Could she give them more information on her account. The telephone number. Was the number on her debit card. So she believed, that it was the bank. They said that they would transfer savings into her currant account for safety. WHOA. So I called the bank on my mobile phone. Where upon hearing this. They told her to disconnect from the bank. NO WAY. Any way. The bank have frozen the account. And nothing has been stolen. But if any one has a similar message. Beware. The phone showed the number calling, was the same as the banks number. A very close run thing. But safe. :shock:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SCAMS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm 

There was a warning earlier this week in the Isle of Wight County Press about this very scam.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm 

My alarm bells ring when ANYONE offers me a refund, rebate, etc. - I never get anything for nothing, and my suspicions (on further investigation) invariably prove right. That's what being born on a Saturday does for you :laughitup: :laughitup:

Win10 Home Premium; MWB Pro; WinPatrol; Win Defender; SpywareBlaster; Mailwasher Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 am 

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/b ... fund-scams

Also note that a bank wont ask for any information on your account. They will ask you to contact them on the telephone number that you have listed for them

Last edited by andsome on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:11 am 

Unfortunately. My wife believed it was the bank. One worrying point was. That the number showing on her phone. WAS the bank contact number. This being the case. I used my phone to contact the bank. (Very quickly.) And requested a lock down for the account. And this they did. So everything turned out quite well. So a visit to the bank. Will be called for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 am 

I, and I suspect many others, get such emails all the time, not just from the bank but from HNRC, BT and others.

Only ever ring your bank on the number you know to be then's, and if ringing back do so from another phone. If this is not possible ring someone else, friend or relative, first, just to clear the line

They have devices that can lock your phone to their number.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 am 

Codger - You will have to explain to Lady Codger that NO bank EVER sends emails asking for personal details.

Same for bodies like the TV Licence. If a refund is due, they will write.

Any suspect email should be trashed, instantly. Also you may need better Net security, so that suspect emails don't get through, in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:02 am 

She's getting the message. Visited "Virgin" yesterday. And had the phone returned to factory settings. Then last night. Two new phone calls (Supposedly from the bank.) Which she didn't answer. And when checking with the bank. It's seems that, they were fake. So they haven't given up just yet. But my wife is now using a different phone for banking. :wink4:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am 

Sounds to me like you've been really compromised, and ought to think about changing your method rather than just the phone.

What are you using, landline, mobile or internet? I have been telephone banking with First Direct since they first started in 1993, so far without problems. I usually use a landline, sometimes the internet, Windows rather than Android, but never, never ever, mobile!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:30 pm 

Unfortunately mobile