It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am 

Is it not the wrong time of the year to be smelling silage?

Distinct whiff of it in the wind this morning.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 am 

You'll be smelling more than silage if local councils carry out their threat to introduce monthly bin collections!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:16 am 

Old Peculier wrote:
You'll be smelling more than silage if local councils carry out their threat to introduce monthly bin collections!

So does this mean our rates are going to be reduced :frantic:

And live my days instead of counting the years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am 

Old Peculier wrote:

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Despite claims of a "first" we've been on four weekly bin collections for at least three years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:12 pm 

It's early but the weird weather has meant that a lot of farmers have been using winter feed so that probably means silage in places by now

lottie , the excuse is to protect other services because the support grant is being reduced and there is a cap on council tax increases

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:51 pm 

Its because due to the dry summer the grass has any just grown long enough to cut for silage so its actually late

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:29 pm 

Silage doesn't develop its distinctive smell until it has fermented , at the time of cutting it's just fresh grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 pm 

I hear you will need the paddling pool and sunscreen tomorrow Laurie. :wink4:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:37 pm 

Star wrote:
I hear you will need the paddling pool and sunscreen tomorrow Laurie. :wink4:

Not got the shorts on yet, but aa the windows and doors open and all three fans going at high speed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 pm 

We were stuck behind 3 manure wagons this morning going to the local farm to pick up
if only we had got to the roundabout seconds earlier we would have been in front instead of behind for 2 miles :happy:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:01 am 

2 miles?

On some of the single track roads up country that may have been nearer five or ten!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:02 am 

Devon drivers tend to be courteous, knowing that a bit of cooperation and give and take are needed on narrow country lanes, with few passing places.

Occasionally there's a stroppy driver, male or female, usually because they cannot reverse for toffees.

We were walking along a truly narrow one-way lane that recently was blocked at the end, because a new road was built along side. Lady came driving down, she did not know the lane had been blocked and got stuck, could not go forward or back. We helped, while she did a seventeen point turn, really was narrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:30 am 

Apart from country lanes such as you mention, I neber came across single track roads when I lived in Devon, not even in the nether regions of Dartmoor and Exmoor.

The West Country requires particular driving techniques. Before Devon I lived in Cornwall for nine years and used to get great amusement, in summer, from the "stuffed hedges".

The emmets would squeeze over, determined to get past, only to find that the lovely soft green hedge had a hard granite centre and they had lost a wing!

In Scotland not only C roads but quite a few of our B roads are still single track, though I seem to recall that the last A road was upgraded about five years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:21 am 

After our babies were born we acquired a motor caravan, an old cherished vehicle that had been beautifully converted by an engineer friend. Had a name and everything. Not only we had lovely holidays and weekends away but a very useful second vehicle, I could carry half a dozen children, various dogs, bits of furniture and all sorts.

We were planning to move house and I was exploring a new area, finished up along a lane so narrow, the motor caravan barely got through, although one advantage, you can see over the hedges.

Finally, after a long time, I turned into a wider road, still just a country lane but wide enough for two vehicles side by side. A woman, in a tiny car, flagged me down, looked quite desperate and asked me how she could get off this - terribly narrow lane - obviously new to Devon. I gave her what directions I could and refrained from telling her about the single lane I had just plodded through, for miles and miles.
:smiles: