It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:09 am 

Codger - Were you brought up in that area?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:41 pm 

I was born and raised in the West Riding of Yorkshire. But a few years ago. I moved to Lincolnshire. Which was possibly a mistake. I didn't really get on with the locals. And they didn't really want anything to do with me. The only place worse in my experience Was Suffolk. During my Civil Service days. I was stationed there for a couple of years. And the following experience, was fairly typical. We lived in a little cul-de-sack about 100 yds long. One Saturday morning. A local was walking down the street. So I said good morning. He stepped away. And almost fell over. After that. He used to walk down our side of the road. Until almost up to our door. Cross over to the other side of the street. Once past the door. He would then cross back over and carry on walking. All this in 100yds. And I found Lincolnshire much the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 am 

Just read on the internet. That London is under threat from rising sea levels. However The last information, that I had. Was from the Hydrographic Dept of the navy. Which was That the ocean on the south coast. Had risen 4 inches in 90 years. Well at least London will get the streets cleaned/washed twice each day for free. And has we now live about 600 feet above sea level, since moving. It will take ??? years ( A long time.)Before we are threatened. Unless all the people in London. Come and live next door. In which case HELP. As a matter of interest. According to the Hydrographic Dept. The sea levels, on Northern coasts Are falling, as the land tilts. So maybe moving Wasn't such a bad idea. Just have to note any visitors. That have funny accents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:24 pm 

You have a chip on your shoulder about The South of England, even Lincolnshire. I'm neutral as I live over the pond. Anyway look on the bright side the higher up you are away from water, then with just a little bit of luck you will be struck by lightening. :whathesaid:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:54 am 

Not a chip on my shoulder. I just don't wish to live there any more. In general. I found the people unfriendly. (Not everybody.) And driving around there. Was becoming an unpleasant experience. Generally speaking. Just not for me. Example. I looked out the window. And saw What was obviously pet rabbits, on the road. So I went out. To try and catch them before the fox's did. As I was trying to herd them back to home. I asked a passing bloke. "Do you know any one around here with rabbits" His reply. "I've lived just around the corner, for over twenty years. And I don't know anyone. They just don't speak to me." I was driving down a local dual carriage way. (A180) (Two lanes in each direction.) Left hand lane full of trucks. Doing about 60 mph. I was in the outer lane. Doing 70. A truck pulled across in front of me. (No problem.) But a car in front of me. Was about 5 feet away from the trucks rear end. Normal clearance is 10 feet for every 10 miles per hour plus 10 feet. So I dropped back about 70 feet. But the guy behind me. Is about 15 feet behind. (Normal for around there.) I.ve dealt with a National tyre firm for many years. Visited the local branch, for a new tyre. They trashed the wheel. But forgot to mention it. So it cost me a new wheel. Bought some ornamental garden lights. Two of them lasted almost two weeks. Before failing. And so it goes on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Before putting the caravan away for the winter, in a barn near Kirkbymoorside,on 28th Sept, we had 6 great days away at 3 caravan sites, one at Pickering, one at Harwood Dale and the last day at Stokesley. Had some brill walks. The Levisham Station walk looking down into Newton Dale and watching steam trains on the N Yorks Moors Railway, far below before descending and walking back through the forestry. From Ravenscar to Robin Hoods Bay, along the coast and back via the cinder track (former Whitby-Scarborough railway.) From Whitby, along the coast to Robin Hoods Bay and from Ravenscar to Hayburn Wyke via coast and back via cinder track. On the last day, I did from Carlton Banks along the Cleveland escarpment over Cringle Moor, Cold Moor and the Wain Stones to Clay Bank and then back along the lower track. Wonderful weather all week, brilliant views and visibility. You lucky man, it's all on your doorstep!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:06 pm 

It's great isn't it. Can't say I've done a lot of walking though. But I did used to sail this coast. As well as driving around the moors. But it's great just being here. :smiles: :smiles: