How are your gardens doing this year

For General Chat about anything and everything.
Anya

Re: How are your gardens doing this year

Post by Anya »

Shame people don't seem to have much to share about their gardens. Especially at this time of year. I know quite a few here are excellent gardeners :smiles:

Lilies are doing very well, hardly any damage from the pesky ones.

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

My garden's in a bit of a mess this year because I've been building a new shed.
(squeezed between my old shed and my wife's "wendy house" as both of us call it.)
It is the same shed I had on my allotment which I gave up a year or so ago.
It is made out of an old concrete garage and has required substantial foundations to take the weight.
As a consequence there has been considerable upheaval in almost every area of the garden, both front and back, for storage of materials, some shed contents and dumping of soil.
(It feels as if it is taking forever!)
Last weekend I finally cleared enough space in my old shed to take the contents (garden tools) out of the temporary B&Q tin shed we have had for a couple of years.
That will now be taken down.
All this has required and will require moving a large quantity of paving stones (old style imperial paving, big, thick and heavy) altering the entrance to the new shed, changing the space to park my vehicles etc. and general upheaval.
Around all this chaos my wife has planted a great many plants that look really great and makes me feel a bit ashamed of the mess I've made.

I also want to lay a new garden path from the front gate to the front door.
This will be in the old Victorian style of red, black and yellow floor tiles all in a pretty pattern.
(So far I have only bought the red tiles and the path edge)
Meanwhile my pond pump has decided to pack up and I need to drain the fountain to fit a replacement.

I'm looking forward to when it is all finished.

Here are some photos taken just a few moments ago of the front and back gardens.
(carefully avoiding my mess)
Attachments
ScreenShotvidshot089.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot089.jpg (350.18 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot088.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot088.jpg (351.35 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot087.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot087.jpg (437.58 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot086.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot086.jpg (378.69 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot085.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot085.jpg (445.19 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot084.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot084.jpg (409.08 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot083.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot083.jpg (342.93 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot082.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot082.jpg (456.99 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
ScreenShotvidshot081.jpg
ScreenShotvidshot081.jpg (453.02 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Anya

Post by Anya »

Beautiful flowers, thank you. Lady Gaz obviously has four green thumbs and fourteen green fingers.

Heavy dark cloud and much cooler but no rain. Trees and shrubs losing their leaves and perennials dying back. Have not used the hosepipe yet but may have to do that.

Birds not so avid on the bird table and the feeders. I imagine plenty of different seeds and insects in gardens and countryside give them a more varied diet.

Jeanjeannie

Post by Jeanjeannie »

My modest effort on our balcony this year. The begonias have been stunning.
Attachments
FB00C762-A7BA-4F5D-A953-B123C996BA58.jpeg
FB00C762-A7BA-4F5D-A953-B123C996BA58.jpeg (201.76 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Anya

Post by Anya »

Everything lush and lovely just now, best honeysuckles, campsis, jasmines ... on walls and fences, ever. September can be a beautiful month but no guarantee. After that, every fine day is bonus.

Bona, Mr 'orn, Bona. Oooooh, Mr 'orn, Mr 'orn !!!!!!!!

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

The garden is starting to look a little tired with all the sun we have been having.
The hydrangeas not only have brown flowerheads all over them but have also started to put on more growth for another lot of blooms.
The single clump of miniature chrysanthemums is looking its best ever.
Yesterday I sowed grass seed in the front garden where I have built up the ground to level up with the new iron railings that are able to slide back to allow for car parking.
(I don't have any intention of parking in the the front garden but with the way the road is getting full of parked cars I may need to in the future.)
It took me over an hour of continuous watering to get the seeds bedded in, the ground is so dry.
I've seen more butterflies this year compared to the last 10-20 years and we had a visit from a bright red field mouse earlier in the year. It just stood there looking at me for quite a long while then turned and disappeared under my wife's Wendyhouse.
Today I saw a grey squirrel as it hopped down from next-door's new plum tree.
We don't seem to have so many birds in the garden this year.
"Europeanism is nothing but imperialism with an inferiority complex." Denis Healey

Anya

Post by Anya »

Garden still looking rich and colourful. I water every few evenings, just the containers and a few shrubs.

Years ago I gave all small containers to the chattery shop and bought dozens of huge containers, for the patio and around the front door. All have a reservoir at the bottom and can look after themselves for a while. Best Trago, very reasonable prices and most still look new. A few have suffered from the ultra-violet and will be replaced.

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

gazman wrote:Yesterday I sowed grass seed in the front garden where I have built up the ground to level up with the new iron railings that are able to slide back to allow for car parking.
(I don't have any intention of parking in the the front garden but with the way the road is getting full of parked cars I may need to in the future.)
It took me over an hour of continuous watering to get the seeds bedded in, the ground is so dry.
The first shoots of grass have appeared.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

My neighbour has a severe leak on his water supply , topography means that drains across the cornet of my lawn . If he doesn't get it repaired soon I'll plant irises . We're all on meters so it'll cost him a lot as time goes on

Anya

Post by Anya »

Raining gently the past couple of days. After weeks and weeks of blazing hot sunshine instantly everyone (me) moaning - Bliddy Rain !! Do It Ever Stop !!!!!!! -
:smiles:

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

Here it is still quite mild for the time of year.
We had a little air frost yesterday morning but temperatures haven't dropped below 4 degrees C.
Everything is very wet, rain has been light but persistent, however yesterday and today have been sunny and mostly dry.
The trees are starting to look bare but some leaves still hang on.
The shrubs in the garden still look much the same as they did a month ago.
The grass recently sown now appears almost like the rest of the lawn.
Autumn is taking its time this year.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Endless drizzle and cannot complain, seeing the floods and misery in other areas of the country.

A touch of frost the other night but all my flowers still standing up for themselves. Planted wild meadow seeds in one corner.

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

This year has been very wet.
All my rainwater butts have been full all year.
They are connected together with pipework around the garden and level with each other and hold about 250 gallons in total.
My extra shed's roof adding water to the system hasn't helped.
The system has been on overflow for almost the entire year and this is proving a bit of a problem.
It has 3 overflow sections in the garden and the water hanging around on the surface is getting difficult to manage.
The ground is waterlogged.
Where do I pipe/drain the water to?
None of the barrels are near a main drain to the street.
I thought of putting more storage into the system but there is only so much water I need!
We have a tiny pond which might be a good place to dump the water but it means laying an overflow pipe across 2 walkways and the lawn.
A major construction project for later this winter I think.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

How about digging out the overflow sections and putting a couple of feet of pea gravel under the top soil ?
There is a standard test to see if the soil is suitable for soakaways , possibly a link from the EA's website

tuesdays child

Post by tuesdays child »

Mine is ok at the shallow end! We moved in, in 1986 and I have never seen this much rain.

Anya

Post by Anya »

Just a few years ago draughts were so lengthy and so serious, winter and summer, in Blighty ???!!!!! the general hysteria was - We are all gonna die. Of incineration. -

Presumably, now - We are all gonna drown -

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

logicalN wrote:How about digging out the overflow sections and putting a couple of feet of pea gravel under the top soil ?
There is a standard test to see if the soil is suitable for soakaways , possibly a link from the EA's website
Normally our soil is extremely good at taking away water, i think it is mainly because we have had so much torrential rain recently.
I've decided that today I'll siphon out the system (via hosepipe to pond) to give the normal areas of drainage a time to recover.
It'll also give me some idea of how much water the system is taking by how fast it fills up.
In the past when we have had dry periods for a long time, the water in the barrels have been very low but they filled up in less than a week when rain returned.

Anya

Post by Anya »

This hillside is full of natural springs, they pop up everywhere, often breaking the lanes. I did not know that until one day the lawn became a quagmire, so soggy, I could not walk on it.

I sought advice from various sources and, eventually, a patio was built, with drains on each side and that solved the problem. Some of that water runs into the Heath-Robinson well (called Ermantrude) and then soaks away, slowly, to the field below the house. I have some two thousand gallons of stored rain water, one tank is Kermit, another one Doric, all that water can be gone by late June but Ermantrude is usually full.

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

Our white camellia , which is at least 25 year sold , has produced a pair of seed pods which seem to contain ripe seeds . An interesting experiment for our resident propagation expert and a change from heathers and clematis

Anya

Post by Anya »

My camellias and those in parks and gardens always make gurt big seeds. I tried to germinate them but was told layering is the way, also with rhoddies and azaleas. I tried layering but was not successful with that, either.

Has been such a mild winter - thus far - the garden has been full of primroses, for weeks, green shoots of spring bulbs standing to attention and buds on shrubs and trees. The catkins on the Garryas Ellipticas are the best I have ever seen, every branch absolutely smothered. Very rewarding shrubs, evergreen and only need a light pruning, to keep in shape, from time to time.
Attachments
GARRYA.jpg
GARRYA.jpg (266.64 KiB) Viewed 607 times

logicalN

Post by logicalN »

Walked through the garden today on the way to the post box . The first snow drops are just coming out , the witch hazel is covered in flowers and the hellebores are looking good , with flowers still on some fuchsias to add a bit of colour . Primulas and periwinkle have been in flower since Christmas and there was even a bud on a miniature pink rose

Didn't Corbyn's loony brother Piers predict the coldest December into January for years ?

Anya

Post by Anya »

Weeks ago the tabloids were screeching about two whole months of arctic weather and we were all gonna die. The very next article, Carol Kirkwood suggested two months of unusually mild weather. And, presumably, we are all gonna die.

Amazing how long one single page is, on each thread. Over twenty messages on this one, including quite a few large pics of people's gardens. Nice :smiles:

My pelargonia outside are vivid green and ginormous. I left a couple out for the winter, many years ago and they did so well, they have become a perennial and evergreen feature in tubs and flowerbeds.

Added 6 February - All sort of stuff popping out of the soil, like bullets, snowdrops, duffies, crocusesese, primroses by the hundreds, tulips nearly there. And still some roses, fuchsias and other blossoms hanging on in there from last summer.
:smiles:

Anya

Post by Anya »

With springtime springing I hope members will post again.

Cherry trees and magnolias in full spate.
Attachments
MAGNOLIA.jpg
MAGNOLIA.jpg (168.29 KiB) Viewed 40 times

gazman
Site Admin

Post by gazman »

Things have been growing a lot slower this year in the east, our flowering cherry has only just started to blossom.
Grass has not been growing very fast during the winter unlike the year before when the lawnmower had to used at least once a week.
Winds have caused havoc to our neighbour's fence and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.
I had to severely cut back our only remaining pyracatha because it looked as if it were going to bring down our fence in the strong cold wind last Saturday.
It had been allowed to grow very tall (about 15 feet) and was swaying about quite violently.
Over winter I have been busy tidying up a big pile of Land Rover spares that I bought years ago, they've been getting in the way ever since.
I've dismantled them, discarded parts that are too far gone and condensed the remaining spares into shed number 1.
I now have time to run the pipework I talked about last year.
My wife has had a problem with a mouse in the greenhouse eating all the seeds that she's planted.
She reseeded undercover but they are only just starting to come through.
Without the addition of garden centre plants the hanging baskets and other pots and urns are going to be a bit thin this year.