It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloud Atlas
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 pm 

I have just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. An absorbing read, well worth the effort although I reckon it needs several reads to get everything out of it. Six interconnected stories stretching from the mid Nineteenth Century to the far future with numerous resonances and cross references, covering a number of different genres.

Afterwards I watched the film of the book, which I think I would have enjoyed more if I hadn't read the book. Almost three hours that surprisingly doesn't drag, it takes the main bits of the book but treats them in a very different way, losing a lot of the subtleties and nuances, making a lot of pointless (to me) changes and generally ruining it in trying to appeal to a mass audience. All that being said, I did find it entertaining.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Cloud Atlas
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 pm 

I'd had this on my bookshelf for at least ten years. Tried numerous times to get into it but finally gave up and it went to the charity shop earlier this year.

Profile Send private message