It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:04 pm 

maggieblue, according to this link M C Beaton's alive and kicking as she's appearing at a couple of literary events in the coming months:

http://www.mcbeaton.com/uk/events/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:02 am 

Thanks - I thought so, but then I know she is getting older - I love her work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:52 am 

As a fan of Barbara Pym I am finding Quartet in Autumn an absolute delight ....I have it in my Kindle as one of my definite favourites...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:31 am 

I have 'discovered' Norman Howard !!!!!
Just finished The Museum Guard - love it, think you will do. Have Ordered The Bird Artist by him.
Happy reading, :flowers:
Maggie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:23 pm 

I have just finished Stephen King's recentish Doctor Sleep, which is a belated sequel to The Shining. First, the good point, it is very readable and enjoyable, like many of his books. It contains a lot of dwelling on what it means to be an alcoholic, obviously written from King's own bitter experience and thus having the ring of truth. Overall, it is very well written, King is a very good writer, something that is often overlooked given his usual chosen genres.
The problems with the book are twofold. Firstly, the lack of originality jars for anyone who has read a lot of Stephen King's books. Obviously, as the main character is the grown up boy from The Shining, there is bound to be some hearking back to the earlier work and that is completely acceptable. However, the other main character kept reminding me of the girl in Firestarter even though her powers are very different in this book. Then there are the baddies, originally portrayed as elderly caravanners, but who echo the vampires of Salem's Lot even though they are not traditional vampires.
The other problem is that however hard they try, the baddies never really get the upper hand, they are always outwitted and outfought. This means there is often a lack of dramatic tension.
But, before I sell the novel short, it does have a lot goign for it and I would recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:59 am 

Read it quite awhile ago, KE, but can't recall it. It's on my Kindle somewhere. I've been a SK fan for many, many years and read most of his books.

However - claim to fame - I've met the man himself on two occasions :whathesaid:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:35 am 

Bored, you've met Stephen King ??????

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:39 pm 

Sorry, Maggieblue, didn't see your question as I haven't browsed the Library in awhile. Yes, I've met him, and shaken his hand :holymoly:

I say I've met him twice, but they were actually both on the same day. This was on Tuesday 25 August 1998. He was doing a book signing and reading in London. I got the train down (500 mile round-trip). I was queueing outside Waterstone's and he got out of a taxi right next to where I was standing. I stepped forward, offering my hand, and said (cringe cringe) "Welcome to London, Stephen." He towered over me, all arms and body, swaying like a tree in the wind, and said "Thank you." He was then whisked along and inside the store without speaking to anyone else :happy:

It was about two hours later, after queueing, that I met him again to have Bag of Bones signed. He asked how far I'd travelled and seemed quite pleased when I told him, and that I was going to his reading at the Royal Festival Hall before travelling home on the last train.

I've just gone to my bookcase and forgotten that I still have the ticket from the evening tucked inside the book.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:06 am 

Dear Bored, I am sure your post would please him to no end !!!!!
Writers love their fans ......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:05 am 

I just picked up a bunch of novels : on the pre-historic .....
Is anyone else fascinated with this period of our history?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:56 pm 

I'm. back doing some real reading again. Elizabeth George is my current writer Believing the lie.Found it hard going because of its size. Have also read a lot of Brother Cadfel stories.

For prehistoric stuff you can't do better than Children of Earth S, perhaps better known by its first title Clan of the Cave Bear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 pm 

Currently being medieval. Reading Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael ....again. love them Now on the 5th omnibus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:12 pm 

Where's Maggieblue???

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. I can't believe I haven't read this book which was written in 1984. In fact, I've never read Iain Banks. I'm thoroughly enjoying it and plan to read all his books with the exception of his Sci-Fi ones which he writes under Iain M Banks (or did until he passed away in 2013).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:58 pm 

Maggie blue is posting on Facebook :wow: regularly :sorry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:33 am 

I've now read all Norman Howard's books and he has become my favorite writer of all times. I can't decide which book of his I like best...

Am ready an Ann Tyler at the moment...

Hope all of you are reading a lot - I am.
Maggie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 pm 

Anyone remember ' The Kraken Wakes' as a serial on the BBC radio; back in the fifties/sixties ? Along with 'Journey into space'.

Book.

Anna Karenina.

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 pm 

I am well into the third volume of R.F.Delderfield's A Horseman Riding By trilogy. It Is superficially a family saga stretching from (I think) 1907 to 1965 but I think it is really is about time and (small-scale) evolution and its effects on a Devon valley and those living in it.
It is quite compulsive reading, a bit soapy at times but not to the point that it detracts.
There was a BBC adaption of the first two books back in the 70s which I never saw but from what I have read about it, huge liberties were taken, with some pretty pivotal characters left out so I probably won't seek it out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm 

LITERATURE. Dr. Mara Sidoli of Washington, DC, for her
> illuminating report, "Farting as a Defence Against Unspeakable
> Dread."
> REFERENCE: "Farting as a Defence Against Unspeakable Dread," Mara
> Sidoli, "Journal of Analytical Psychology," vol. 41, no. 2, 1996,
> pp. 165-78.

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 pm 

"Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer.

Saw the movie a while back. Now getting a less dramatised version of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:03 pm 

Re visiting 'Age of Reason'.

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:55 pm 

i'm reading a book someone gave me by george e moss , he is in a group that has a full trance medium that an angel master speaks through among others, i was going to put it in the bin but was bored,best thing i ever read
i think the group is salumetandfriends.org.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 pm 

Edmund Cooper's 'Uncertain Midnight'.

Not enjoying it as much as I did the first time around.

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

I've recently been re-reading Homer's The Odyssey, which I first purchased in the 1970s, having read about Heinrich Schliemann, in another fascinating book, God's Graves and Scholars - the story of archeology. Schliemann was convinced that Homer's works were not fiction but actual events and he went looking for Homeric Troy, which took him to the mound of Hissarlik in Turkey, which he identified by descriptions from the Iliad, which deals with the siege and eventual capture of Priam's city. The Iliad is a bit boring but the Odyssey is all action from the word go, as Odysseus is pursued with relentless malice by Poseidon, because he blinded the Cyclops, Polyphemus, Poseidon's son. It takes him 19 years to get back to Ithaca, where his wife Penelope's suitors are eating him out of house and home! All kinds of dangers on the way, Scylla and Charybdis, the sirens, even a descent into Hades where he speaks to the dead including his mother and Achilles. He gets out of there lest dread Persephone decides to bring up some awful monster, such as the Gorgon's head! Luckily for him he has a defender from the Olympian hierarchy, Pallas Athene, the goddess of the flashing eyes. She looks after him pretty good, over the 19 years it takes him to get back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm 

'The Decameron' : Boccaccio.

Anyone else read it ?

Dave.

Passion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

I don't often read books from cover to cover however I recently obtained an English copy of Death in Venice.
I've seen the film a couple of times and I wanted to know how much of the book was portrayed and/or represented in the film.
I've read the book several times now (it is quite short but not an easy read) and I'm rather disappointed there wasn't more to the story than in the film.
The book is almost overwhelmingly detailed in the description of the novelist, Achenbach (in the film a composer), and his background in the first two chapters.
I had to read the second chapter several times just to comprehend it.
The sentences go on for almost an eternity.
By the time you reach the end of a sentence you've forgotten the beginning!
I thought the film was better than the book.
Although the rest of the book is dedicated to the Achenbach/Tadzio relationship (?), with a background of deadly disease and its official denial, it is surprisingly curt in its description.
I had expected much more, particularly when you consider the detail given of the man in the first chapters.
What you are told of Achenbach's behaviour I found entirely believable given his feelings for the boy but the reader is really made to work to understand it.
I'm left with the question, why was the book written in the way it was and what situation (if any) specifically inspired its writing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next