It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:44 am 

I'm reading "The Unnatural History of the Sea" by professor Callum Roberts. The tag line is "the past and future of humanity and fishing".

It's a challenging read, not least because of very small print. It deals with the way the oceans have been overfished for the last 1000 years, the extinction by Man of some species , the decimation of fish and their habitats and, importantly, looks at past mistakes and future solutions. the author argues that within 20 years our marine world could be abundant with life once more.

I came across this book through the sequel "Ocean of Life" which I was given for Christmas. As soon as I saw there was an earlier book I obtained that to read first, but for a number of reasons wasn't able to start on it for a number of months. I'm well into it now, and the detail is incredible. As an example, from an Archaeological dig in York, as City 100Kms or so inland, they found Cod bones from the 11th Century, and he explores the reasons for this.

As an aside, he references a table of which fish are sustainable and which ones we should avoid. I'll be posting a link to this in the Lounge.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:35 pm 
It sounds fascinating reading, John.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:39 pm 
Just seen the title of your thread! :roll:

At present I'm reading Black Orchids by Gillian Slovo. Oddly, I don't seem to get much time for reading these days - where does it go?!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 pm 

I'm reading 'The Four Feathers' again - it's good.
Read one of Candice Robb's before this...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Looking forward to reading "An approach to audio frequency amplifier design", a 136 page publication of the GEC Valve and Electronics Department published in 1957 priced 10/6.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:52 pm 

Am reading another Candice Robb - enjoy the information about herbal medicine...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 pm 

I wouldn't mind a trawl through that publication myself gazman, obviously a lot dated now, though for straight analogue amplification and not digital, a lot of the theory will still hold true.

As for my reading choices, considering I want something light entertainment to while away the time in either doctors waiting rooms, or now with chemo, the time taken up while it is pumped in to me, I have dug out some old Leslie Charteris "The Saint" books that I was given but not yet read. A bit dated now of course, however if bearing that in mind, they suffice to while away the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 am 

Nev, I've spent the last 2 months attending the chemo sessions at the local hospital for my wife's treatment. 3-4 hours at a time, she was taking her tablet and watching films on it, but it was more like attending a social club! About 8 people in the room, some with their partners, tea, coffee and biscuits served regularly. Very light hearted nurses who obviously really knew their job, and much laughter . I thought it would be a place of gloom but not so. She hardly had time to watch the film. I hope your treatment is successful, without too many horrible side effects.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 am 

Love 'the Saints' books.... sometimes 'old' is good !!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Plastic Nev. wrote:
I wouldn't mind a trawl through that publication myself gazman, obviously a lot dated now, though for straight analogue amplification and not digital, a lot of the theory will still hold true.

As for my reading choices, considering I want something light entertainment to while away the time in either doctors waiting rooms, or now with chemo, the time taken up while it is pumped in to me, I have dug out some old Leslie Charteris "The Saint" books that I was given but not yet read. A bit dated now of course, however if bearing that in mind, they suffice to while away the time.

My reading habits are so erratic that I've only managed to reach page 30 so far.
It is fundamental reading in the most pleasant way and details almost all the techniques of valve audio amplification in its heyday.
Nearly all the well known and much sought after amps of the past (eBay prices on period amps often many £1000s) were based on its designs.
There are several amplifier designs in it that I built at the time.
I used the KT88 valve for the most part as I wanted power but didn't like using a top cap.
The TT21 and TT22 transmitting valves (not detailed in this booklet) were virtually identical to the KT88 except they had a top cap which allowed for a higher anode voltage (1250v) and hence could produce a higher power output.
However I thought it looked old fashioned and was quite dangerous as the top connection was very easy to touch accidentally.
~Touching 500 volts dc was usually just unpleasant, touching 1250 volts was downright dangerous. :)
My favourite was the 100 watt amplifier using a push-pull pair in class AB1 fixed bias.

Send me your email address via PM and I'll send you a pdf version if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:15 pm 

I am currently reading "Paths of Glory" by Jeffrey Archer.

It is a dramatisation of the life of George Mallory, the mountaineer who was lost on Everest in 1924

I remember as a boy reading lots about him and the searches. Looking forward to the part where his body was eventually found in 1999

There is still a mystery as to whether he actually reached the summit and possibly died on the way down

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:54 am 

Cheshirecat69 wrote:
I am currently reading "Paths of Glory" by Jeffrey Archer.

It is a dramatisation of the life of George Mallory, the mountaineer who was lost on Everest in 1924

I remember as a boy reading lots about him and the searches. Looking forward to the part where his body was eventually found in 1999

There is still a mystery as to whether he actually reached the summit and possibly died on the way down

Keep us posted !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:39 pm 

I have just started (again) - to read Laura Childs' tea shop mysteries - she
has a wonderful knowledge in them about teas from all over the world -
quite interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:29 pm 

gazman wrote:
Plastic Nev. wrote:

My reading habits are so erratic that I've only managed to reach page 30 so far.
It is fundamental reading in the most pleasant way and details almost all the techniques of valve audio amplification in its heyday.
Nearly all the well known and much sought after amps of the past (eBay prices on period amps often many £1000s) were based on its designs.
There are several amplifier designs in it that I built at the time.
I used the KT88 valve for the most part as I wanted power but didn't like using a top cap.
The TT21 and TT22 transmitting valves (not detailed in this booklet) were virtually identical to the KT88 except they had a top cap which allowed for a higher anode voltage (1250v) and hence could produce a higher power output.
However I thought it looked old fashioned and was quite dangerous as the top connection was very easy to touch accidentally.
~Touching 500 volts dc was usually just unpleasant, touching 1250 volts was downright dangerous. :)
My favourite was the 100 watt amplifier using a push-pull pair in class AB1 fixed bias.

Send me your email address via PM and I'll send you a pdf version if you like.

Touching the HT cap on the back of the old CRT tube in a television was interesting to say the least, as they were even higher voltages. It could certainly make your eyes water, usually left your whole arm feeling numb for some time.

I will be sending that PM.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:43 pm 

I am still reading Laura Childs' books - the tea shop series....which takes
place in Charleston, South Carolina - where that young man recently
killed 9 people. This is such a staid city and I know that they are all in
total shock. He was from my hometown I think, Columbia. This certainly
rocked my boat - I called my brother yesterday (who lives in nearby
Myrtle Beach), and feel some better. This is a horrible, horrible case
of racism -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:02 am 

Finished the 6 Laura Childs books that I have and ordered some more. Also read a
Charlie Parker book, can't remember who wrote it, but he's Irish, and the setting is Maine.
Quite interesting...very violent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:56 pm 

Will look at Laura Childs. Michael Connelly is your author. Read many of his books but none of the Charlie Parks books. Like to read new authors stroke characters in chronological order. What have you read Maggie?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:58 am 

Bored, read John Connolly's 2nd Charlie Parker book - and have ordered 5 more (used...) from Amazon. My sis told me today that he wrote another series also...

I am also reading 'Paul' - a very thick book, about the apostle - I did not realize Paul was of big head, curly hair, short...and bandy-legged ! He was certainly tireless in
bringing the message of Jesus to Gentiles. :flowers:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 am 

I am reading yet another Barbara Pym...."Excellent women" this time on my Kindle,a nice read too....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm 

Just finished a dozen John Connelly books - they are really creepy.
He enriches his stories with various Maine history and other history.
He's from Ireland - have any of you read him??????
Maggie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm 

Been recommended, and can't put it down, the first Linwood Barclay,
No Time for Goodbye,
will be getting some more of his.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:32 pm 

widgetwilk, I've read No Time For Goodbye and yes, it was good. I've read four of his now and enjoyed them all.

maggieblue, on your recommendation I downloaded a sample of the first in the Charlie Parker series, and ended up downloading the first four. Just started the third one. All brilliant, and the research that goes into the history of Maine is immense.

I've also just finished Violated by Sarah Wilson. She's a victim and survivor of the notorious Rotherham sex grooming ring by Asian men, where no-one from the police, social services or schools did anything to stop it for fear of being accused of racism. I hope they're thoroughly disgusted and ashamed of themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:41 pm 

Linwood Barclay, absolutely hooked,
read,
No Time for Goodbye. A Tap on the Window, Too Close to Home,
am off to bed early to start No Safe House, also have on Kindle Final Assignment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 pm 

I've just ordered the Six Sisters Series by mc beaton - it seems she has used at least 6 different pen names -
Oh, I remember the joy of thinking up pen names for myself!!!!! And ordered another Charlies Parker...
Am still wading through a thick book called "Paul" about the apostle Paul...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 pm 

Someone in England, please confirm for me that M.C. Beaton is not dead....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next