A hot afternoon

Poetry, Prose, Articles... All creative written stuff
Zimba

A hot afternoon

Post by Zimba »

A hot afternoon

It was a hot and humid afternoon when the air condition failed.
“Oh no, not again?” Toos screamed. “What is wrong now? I suppose it is the electricity supply which has caused the problems”.

As ever Toos turned the switches off and on but nothing happened. The bare bulbs connected to the ceiling did not light up.
“Fancy a cold beer before the fridge thaws out”
I would have accepted any kind of drink. ”Well I finished work for today” I said “so lets walk to the town center and have a pint”
After thirty minutes we approached the center or what was called the center. It was a hot afternoon.

There was only one street with shops and some pubs at each side. One of the buildings was called “The restaurant” the name showing the purpose of the building,
The worn out chairs in front of the building didn’t attract us to sit down even though they were placed in a shady spot so we entered the restaurant. The plastic tables and chairs showed stains of dirt. Ashtrays were filled with cigarette stubs and there was litter on the floor.

Suddenly a black boy only clothed in a pair of trousers, sweating all over his body started cleaning the ashtrays and removed the litter from the room.
“Cold beer please” I said “One?” asked the boy and without waiting for the answer he went to a shelf stored with bottles of beer. To cool the beer he dipped the bottle into a bucket of water.
“Something to eat?” he asked. The restaurant only served chicken but although they cook it in oil on a high temperature and therefore it would have been free of germs we did not accept his offer.

In the mean time it was getting dark so we had to walk back to our guesthouse in the darkness. Luckily I had a torch which was a great help because there were no road signs and no pavement. We had to navigate by trees, a cluster of huts, a radio mast and a derelict school building and after half an hour we approached our guesthouse.
“I was afraid of getting lost” Toos said “The absence of traffic signs and tarmac roads gave me goose pimples.

When we approached our guesthouse we saw the light shining through the curtains.
“The electricity supply has been mended” Toos said, “because there was a light appearing from the window.” Even the burglar bars were shown in the lighted windows.
I produced the key from my pocket and unlocked the door.

Oh, the room was filled with millions of insects buzzing around. .What had happened? Turning the switches off and on Toos left one of them on, so that when the electricity supply had been restored the light would come on again.
Through a little opening in the mosquito gauze the insects had entered the room attracted by the light.

We reached our bedroom which used to be free of insects and jumped under the mosquito net.This protected us from being stung by an insect. The next morning we found a carpet of insects covering the floor, only a single fly was still buzzing around trying to find the small hole in the mosquito gauze.

Ger van de Ven A hot afternoon

It was a hot and humid afternoon when the air condition failed.
“Oh no, not again?” Toos screamed. “What is wrong now? I suppose it is the electricity supply which has caused the problems”.

As ever Toos turned the switches off and on but nothing happened. The bare bulbs connected to the ceiling did not light up.
“Fancy a cold beer before the fridge thaws out”
I would have accepted any kind of drink. ”Well I finished work for today” I said “so lets walk to the town center and have a pint”
After thirty minutes we approached the center or what was called the center. It was a hot afternoon.

There was only one street with shops and some pubs at each side. One of the buildings was called “The restaurant” the name showing the purpose of the building,
The worn out chairs in front of the building didn’t attract us to sit down even though they were placed in a shady spot so we entered the restaurant. The plastic tables and chairs showed stains of dirt. Ashtrays were filled with cigarette stubs and there was litter on the floor.

Suddenly a black boy only clothed in a pair of trousers, sweating all over his body started cleaning the ashtrays and removed the litter from the room.
“Cold beer please” I said “One?” asked the boy and without waiting for the answer he went to a shelf stored with bottles of beer. To cool the beer he dipped the bottle into a bucket of water.
“Something to eat?” he asked. The restaurant only served chicken but although they cook it in oil on a high temperature and therefore it would have been free of germs we did not accept his offer.

In the mean time it was getting dark so we had to walk back to our guesthouse in the darkness. Luckily I had a torch which was a great help because there were no road signs and no pavement. We had to navigate by trees, a cluster of huts, a radio mast and a derelict school building and after half an hour we approached our guesthouse.
“I was afraid of getting lost” Toos said “The absence of traffic signs and tarmac roads gave me goose pimples.

When we approached our guesthouse we saw the light shining through the curtains.
“The electricity supply has been mended” Toos said, “because there was a light appearing from the window.” Even the burglar bars were shown in the lighted windows.
I produced the key from my pocket and unlocked the door.

Oh, the room was filled with millions of insects buzzing around. .What had happened? Turning the switches off and on Toos left one of them on, so that when the electricity supply had been restored the light would come on again.
Through a little opening in the mosquito gauze the insects had entered the room attracted by the light.

We reached our bedroom which used to be free of insects and jumped under the mosquito net.This protected us from being stung by an insect. The next morning we found a carpet of insects covering the floor, only a single fly was still buzzing around trying to find the small hole in the mosquito gauze.

Ger van de Ven
!3-05-2016