It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:12 am 

Hi All,

I know I haven't been in for a while, been run off my feet with work and my hobby. There are posts below regarding DxO and Lightroom. When I first started photography I discovered a great workflow using them both, it wasn't too time consuming and the results (processing) were very good. I then started shooting motorsport and realised quite quickly that rating, editing in DxO and passing back to Lightroom for the final touches made my turnaround time far too slow. I decided to invest some time in a package I have owned for a while but not really given it a chance.

Enter Capture One. Now to make it clear, I still use Lightroom for my cataloguing but that is all. Capture One interacts quite well both ways with LR using sidecars. I discovered the sharpness of my Sony RAW files was somewhat better in Capture One. So now my workflow has sped up, I've learned how to do nearly everything I need with the images to get them ready for print/upload.

I know it seems a drastic change to leave something like DxO and LR behind, but on a weekend I am now taking between 3000 and 7000 photos (almost every weekend). You can't get behind or the task becomes huge. I was advised to shoot RAW + JPEG, which I tried, but I do not like the in camera processing, so back to RAW only.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my pictures of oncoming vehicles were soft. I blamed the lens, switched to another and got the same results. Research was required as my colleague was taking pin sharp shots at the same focal length and shutter speed (both shooting wide open at f/4.0). Now the bad news, it appears it was the camera body, the autofocus just wasn't quick enough head on. I have upgraded to an A99ii now and discovered that with a 42 megapixel sensor the files are huge and of course any slight failing of the lens is exacerbated. Tomorrow is a 2 day shoot with this new beast and hopefully should assist with the OOF/soft photos I was getting with the A99.

I am now shooting track side - no more fences for me. The downside is that, depending on who you shoot for, some expect your photos within 20 minutes of a race!!

I'm hoping to get some more wildlife photography under my belt too - but free time is now a very rare thing indeed!!

Profile Send private message