Ghost USB

Everything about computers and what makes them tick. Get help with yours here.
mikelgorg

Ghost USB

Post by mikelgorg »

Hi Guys, long time no post so long time no problems !! Not really a problem but I appear to have a ghost USB on my desktop. > on my C drive and it tells me I have a Local Disk (E) 292 Gb free of 292 It will format,shows up in properties as free, open it and it shows 'this folder is empty' and it is not in my System tray and will not let me 'eject' it in properties.

Just a niggle really, how do I get rid of it.

Stay safe, Mike.
W10 Desktop & Laptop. WXP Laptop
, MWB, SAS. Glary Utilities.

kasapres
Site Admin

Re: Ghost USB

Post by kasapres »

Hi Mike,
Welcome back!!

I'm assuming that by "on my C drive", you meant it showed up as a removable drive labeled Local Disk (E) when you opened 'My Computer'?
If so, right click on it and choose 'Eject' or 'Delete' or similar (or both)----whichever will accomplish what you're after.

If you opened 'My computer' then clicked open the 'C' drive ('Logical disk'??) and found the 'Local disk (E)' entry listed there, the same method should apply:
Right click on it and choose whichever option removes it.
Since it is empty ("...292 Gb free of 292"), you won't be losing any data---which, of course, you can verify by clicking on to open 'Logical disk (E)' (it should have no contents listed therein).

Two other things:
--It may show up as it's brand name (as in, the brand name of the USB thumbdrive related to said drive)--in which case the same right click> delete should apply.

--Since 'Delete' simply removes the path leading to the drive (so you can't access it or use the space it occupies until your system gets around to needing that space), I'd suggest you find the file shredder component one of your other cleaning programs might provide (ferinstance Glary Utilities (or similar) and/or many of the dedicated uninstaller programs often have that component/option available). A shredder basically overwrites the space with random characters, making it immediately available for re-use (so whatever was in that space cannot be retrieved).

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Hi Kas, thought of you a while back when we had all the bush fires last summer of the same thing for you a few years ago now.

Anyway, have used Revo uninstall, Glary and Program & features in Control Panel and this Local disk does not show up in any of them. I have right clicked on it and there is no option to delete or eject in the drop box dialogue. Also did a registry clean with Wise reg cleaner.

Have just installed two usb's and now showing drives D,E,F and G which includes the Dvd drive. E is the one that shouldn't be there.

Weird ??

Mike.

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

Hi again,

Yep. I thought about you folks when I heard of your fires.
I think we sent a few firefighters to help---which is great because we've been back in the firepot since early May and I think you've sent a couple of dozen fighters to help us out---for a second or third time.

Well, curiouser and curiouser, huh?
The good part is that, since it holds no contents, it isn't using any resources.
The bad part is it will still be an irritation.

Just as an aside, my 'E drive' is the DVD drive/player.
Yours, of course, may be different.

This next suggestion should be done with care and only if you can discern how each drive is labelled.
Via Control panel, click on Device manager then on Disk Drives.
If you identify the culprit (they may not have a letter designation). right-click on it and choose Uninstall.

If no joy or if the USB drive is not showing there, go back to the Device manager list and choose Portable devices.
Again, choose carefully, right click and Uninstall.

Lastly, if still no joy, scroll the Device manager list all the way to the bottom and, if it's there, click open Unknown.
If it shows the culprit, right click then Uninstall

For both of these, the worst that can happen if you remove them in error is they will return either on the next boot up or the next time they are connected/inserted.

Last gasp (until I think of somewhere else to look):
--click the Start button then type services.msc into the Search bar then Enter
--wait til the system finds (specifically) Service.msc (it will be part of C/Windows/System32) then click on it
--wait til it populates then scroll down the list and look for any likely suspects.
--If you find one or more, list them for me before you do anything with it---just in case.

Let me know?

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Many thanks Kas, have copied,pasted and printed your advice.

Will work my way through them and let you know how it goes.

No fires here at the moment as just coming out of winter. New South Wales especially Sydney have got Covid 19 bad. Victoria back in lockdown again although rural area where I am not too bad.

Mike.

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Hi Kas, followed your instructions methodically but no sign of anything recognisable. However decided to have a look in 'Speccy' and found this:

Partition 0
Partition ID Disk No.1 Partition No. 0
Disk letter. E
File system NTFS
Volume serial No. 66DEA6E4
Size 292GB
Used space 102MB (0%)
Free space 292GB (100%)

Not sure what that tells us except that its still on my PC somewhere. This PC is a bit past it's sell by date now so can live with the problem if necessary. Had it made to my specs in Spain 9 years ago so looking to upgrade before W11. Looking for something capable of running MSFS 2020 - Hopefully !!

Mike

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

Ah.....well that solves most and none of it then.

Any chance you may have unplugged a USB drive without first using the 'Safely remove' exit?
I kinda doubt this is the issue, though, because you did not find any related (and labeled) devices in Device manager---specifically under 'Portable devices'.
If t'were or ever was, it would have shown up in that list and would likely have been designated F: or G: or 'higher,

So my best guesses are:
--Your mystery E: drive is an additional partition (AKA: virtual drive) using space on your main harddrive.
Most likely, it is the 'emergency repair' partition (aka: the repair bits that would restore your basic Windows system after a dire crash) included with your 'build'.
---If not that, might you have used a disk partitioning software or exercise at some time and created the E: partition in the process?
---Do you have an external disk drive (maybe the one you use for backups)? If so, plug it in and see which letter is designated to it.
--If not that, then it might well be your DVD player or your printer---or some other attached device.
Using a 'Process of elimination' might be the best (only?) way to identify it.
Try unplugging your attached items one at a time---checking 'My computer' between each disconnect and reconnect to see if the phantom E: comes or goes.
---Have you ever connected your system to a TV, by chance?

If all these are a bust, I'm clean out of ideas.
Good thing it's not taking up and space or resources, I guess?

I've posted a couple of recent local 'wildfire happening' photos in the Crowsnest forum...
https://www.idf50lifeboat.co.uk/viewtop ... 12&t=11752
...and will be posting a few more'smoke pics' as and when I get 'em processed.

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Something to get my teeth into Kas to relieve the boredom of lockdown, bare (bear ??) with me while I look into that. I have been playing about with a VPN for a while and linked an android TV to my PC. Can't really see if that's the prob.

Your comment re partioning software methinks might be nearer to the prob as I think I have probably played around with that in the past.

I think I should go along with the ' if it ain't broke, forget it'

Not worth getting too uptight about this, but nice to be in touch again.

Ah well, onto the next project. !!!

Mike

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

Ahhh---I wonder if that 'Android' connection is the key.
Anything that would retrieve data and/or translate it could be considered a 'drive' by some BIOS's----especially if there is a PVR (recorder) component involved.

mikelgorg

Post by mikelgorg »

Thanks for the help Kas, nice to be touch again.

Stay Covid safe, waiting for my 2nd jab. Australia has been sadly lacking in getting everyone jabbed unfortunately

Regards...….Mike.