MBAM runs slow on one of my computers

Everything about computers and what makes them tick. Get help with yours here.
young goat

MBAM runs slow on one of my computers

Post by young goat »

I have three identical computers all the same make (Hewlett-Packard HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF), they are synchronised across my home network. Each has about 250gb used space on each hard disk, each has the same processors, hard disks and the same amount of RAM (8mb).
I call them PC1 PC2 and PC3
When I run MBAM on PC2 and PC3 it completes in about 12 to 15 hours. When I run MBAM on PC1 it takes around 48 hours
I have done a memory test, scandisk and defrag, checked the RAM is seated properly, done a drive health check (SMART) and also reinstalled MBAM but the problem still exists and I am at a loss as to what to do next other than a complete reformat and reinstall, which, whilst not beyond my ability, is a lot of trouble and extra work.
Has anyone got any suggestions ? Have I missed something ?

Edit
The odd thing is I haven't noticed any difference in performance of anything else, just MBAM so maybe I should reinstall just that program again using Malwarebytes Support Tool and see what happens ? I probably un/reinstalled it using REVO previously.

kasapres
Site Admin

Re: MBAM runs slow on one of my computers

Post by kasapres »

Very curious. An MB scan on my 73% full 1 TB hdd takes less than 2 hours---on a busy day and while I am still using the machine.

What (and how many other) programs and/or processes are active while you are running the scans?
I'd be curious to see a view of your Task Manager while the scan is active.
(In my case, no more than five other items show up in Task manager whilst I'm doing maintenance, etc.)

You might be wise to install and run Autoruns ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns )---then PM me a full copy of the 'Everything' page. I would almost bet it will show several (perhaps several dozen) programs running unnecessarily and gobbling up resources for no viable purpose.

Yes---by all means, completely remove ALL copies of MB (including scrubbing all remnants and leftovers) then reinstall fresh new versions and conduct subsequent scans....doing one machine at a time and isolating each machine during the installations and the scans.
Make sure you install ONLY the appropriate versions (eg. 64 bit rather than 32 bit if your machines are 64 bit)

Turn off ALL other security programs (especially any 'built-in' or 'default' MS security progs) during both the installations and the scans to minimize the possibility of corrupted installs and/or conflicting and/or interrupting operations.

In fact, once the clean and updated version of MB is installed, disconnect from the net before running the scan.

Have you tried running MB in Safe Mode to see if it makes a difference?
Cuz that would perhaps indicate what the problem(s) might be.

All that said and since all the machines are networked---might the MBAM scans be intervening between systems?
As in, when you run the scan on one, is it subsequently, concurrently, or sequentially scanning the other two?
Or are you perhaps running scans on more than one machine at the same time while they are still networked??
Try unplugging (or un-networking) two of the units then running a scan on the remaining one---and see what kind of efficiencies are gained, if any.

Just thinkin' out loud, of course.

young goat

Post by young goat »

The last scan took 54 hours ! that is just not acceptable, but I'll address things one at a time, and the first thing I have done is remove MBAM using their own removal tool and I have reinstalled a fresh copy (from the website not from my downloads folder) and started a scan of my C:\ drive

Other programs that are running (to my knowledge) are Emsisoft anti virus/antimalware. Windows firewall, my backup program runs every 15 minutes and the synchronisation runs from one of the other PC's but I realise that may write to PC1 if there are changes elsewhere.

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

The last scan took 54 hours ! that is just not acceptable, but I'll address things one at a time, and the first thing I have done is remove MBAM using their own removal tool and I have reinstalled a fresh copy (from the website not from my downloads folder) and started a scan of my C:\ drive

Other programs that are running (to my knowledge) are Emsisoft anti virus/antimalware. Windows firewall, my backup program runs every 15 minutes and the synchronisation runs from one of the other PC's but I realise that may write to PC1 if there are changes elsewhere.

Bear with me:

1. The MB Removal tool does NOT remove the program. It barely scrubs away a minimum of the less intrinsic components.
In fact, were you to run a registry search after using their 'removal tool', it would find more than several hundred items still remaining.

Only after you have removed ALL aspects of the old version will the new version really be 'fresh'.
And the only way to accomplish a truly 'fresh' install of Malwarebytes (assuming you downloaded a non-corrupted version in the first place) is to use your Revo (or other dedicated) Uninstaller and its included 'remnants/leftover bits scrubber' to do a complete removal of all things related to Malwarebytes----then follow that with a full registry scan (and scrub)---before beginning the new install.

Unfortunately, even after having done all this, you may still have a few hundred immovable MB stragglers.
It's just the nature of the MB beast, I'm afraid.

That said, if you cannot be this fastidious (and no one should expect it of you), the best you can do is the best you can do....and whatever version of Malwarebytes you have after doing the re-installation is the one you have to go with.

BTW, if you want to see where I get my information about what's left in the registry......I use Nirsoft's Regscanner:
https://www.nirsoft.net/windows_registry_tools.html

Suggestion:
--Install Autoruns (link given earlier)
--Run it......then open the 'Everything' page and count the number of Malwarebytes-related items in the list.
--Close Autoruns
--Now run the 'MB Removal tool'.
--Once it is done and whatever it finds is 'discarded', close the MB removal tool.
--Once the removal tool is closed and MB seemingly removed, do another Autoruns scan
--Open the 'Everything' page and count the number of MB items still listed.

That will give you a 'scratch the surface' indication of how invasive MB really is and how ineffective their removal tool is.
Now imagine how many registry entries are still associated and onboard---and, unfortunately, still using resources.

If you want a far truer indication, after having completed the MB removal tool, close the tool then install and run a Regscanner scan for 'malwarebytes'. The scan should take about 15 minutes max.
Now check the list of remaining bits it reveals. You will have to scroll the page to see the full list.

2. Back-up programs continuously create new files and add data while they are running. Ditto your sync program---but to a far greater degree.
If your machines are networked and 'synching' at the time of the scans, you are creating an almost endless stack of data for MB to deal with. You are basically establishing a perpetually changing list of items...akin to a treadmill.
Given this, I'm surprised the MB scan ever completes.

3. If your firewall and/or any other security program were active while you downloaded any version of Malwarebytes (or any other program), you have allowed the possibility of the downloads to be corrupted.
If these security programs are left running during the installation (regardless of whether or not the download is corrupted), you allow the possibility for the installation to be corrupted and thus to be less than 'fresh'

4. Any and all other security programs will---if left running during the MB scan (and by their very nature)---conflict with Malwarebytes.
The very purpose of security programs is to identify 'invasive' processes---and each of them will be doing the same thing at the same time.
Ergo, conflicts.

5. The programs you mentioned are NOT the only ones running 'all the time'. They and all other active programs have literally dozens (if not hundreds) of associated processes that are also running.
Every item in the list on the Processes tab of your Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) is running and using resources.
Now add in any drivers and services (Start> type services> click on Services in the list that pops up to open the Services list---then count the ones that are marked as Started' or 'Automatic'. And btw, this will not even include all the MS system services etc. that are active at any given time). This will give you a slightly better idea of what is actually happening on your computers at any given time.
Now multiply all that by three---since your three systems are networked, synched and cooperating.

Ergo, Malwarebytes can only avail itself of any resources that might be 'left-over' and must identify, dodge and/or decide whether or not to scan any conflicting items.

In conclusion (for now):
The possibility of a corrupted download, a less than 'fresh' installation and conflicts created by the concurrent operation of so many other processes and programs (especially those that have the same basic function as the MB scanner) may well be compounding the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the MB scan.
So not only are you providing a never-ending pile of data for the MB scan to find, consider, peruse and possibly scrub, you are (inadvertently or otherwise) setting innumerable obstacles, limitations, conflicts and/or restrictions in its way.

As suggested earlier, perhaps try running the MB scan in Safe mode.
You will get a far more effective scan since it will not be conflicting with as many other active processes or be constantly interrupted and have an unending list of items to scan.

Should the duration and the effectiveness of the Safe mode scan be different by any amount, you will have a fair indication that something else on your system or in your use thereof is causing the problem.
Then it comes down to what measures to take.

I suggest disconnecting the target system from the net while scanning, 'un-networking' ALL systems while scanning, deactivating the synch and back-up functions for the duration of the scans and scanning each system independently should all give you different results.

young goat

Post by young goat »

I installed Autoruns and it found 5 entries for Malwarebytes. I ran MBAM removal tool and then Autoruns again and all of them had gone.

I installed regscanner, it found a few entries for Malwarebytes. I deleted them all. (They were MUI and Recently used entries and other things unconnected with the program itself but had the name Malwarebytes in the title. For instance, I had extracted the uninstall file from Program Files and saved it on my desktop and I had some Notepad items that I had saved and some internet shortcuts, but those of course all appear in the registry.)
I did an Explorer search for Malwarebytes and deleted everything also same with another search tool
In short I cleaned the C drive including the registry of everything that referred to MBAM.

I downloaded a fresh offline installer for Malwarebytes, went offline and turned off my antivirus and firewall and installed it, restarted the pc then updated the MBAM definitions and I have started another scan. My sync and backup programs are turned off.

I'll see how long this latest scan takes. If it starts to take an excessive time I may stop it and try it in safe mode.
I will report back when I have more details of it's progress.
This latest scan is whizzing along ! However previous scans have also started off fine, but after a few hours it slows right down to less than one item per second which causes the overall scan time to be so long.

I would prefer to just click it and forget it and let it run, and not have to turn off my backup/sync programs, that's what I do with the other 2 PC's and the scans on those take about 12-15 hours.

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

I would prefer to just click it and forget it and let it run, and not have to turn off my backup/sync programs, that's what I do with the other 2 PC's and the scans on those take about 12-15 hours.

As mentioned, as long as your back-up and sync programs are running, you are creating a never-ending stream of new items for MBAM to have to scan. Hence, the scans will understandably take a very long time.

You should be able to 'Pause' both the back-up and sync programs via your System tray entries. Perhaps right click on the relevant program to bring up the settings options?

young goat

Post by young goat »

I'm pleased to report that my actions have been successful.

I have run the program twice since last posting, one with backups etc off and once with backups etc on. The speed has more than doubled to an average of around 4 items per second to 10 items per second ( I can't compare the time taken because I have added more data to the C drive)

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

So are you saying it ran faster with back-ups off (and completed quicker as well, I'd assume) than with back-ups on?

Makes sense, since it would not be writing new data at the same time it was scanning. With back-ups left on the new data being created would then have to be found and scanned---possibly causing the scan to have to repeatedly backtrack to folders already scanned.....which means more operations happening and more resources being used just to keep track of, find and scan the new data.

Or are you saying that once the scan had removed any nasty bits with back-ups off (a pseudo 'safe mode' of sorts), it ran faster on subsequent scans----both with back-up back off and with back-ups on?

Ditto with the sync on and/or off, I assume?

young goat

Post by young goat »

Prior to uninstalling MBAM and doing a thorough search and removing all the leftover bits it was checking at an average of 3.8 items per second.
After reinstalling it it is checking at an average of 9.99 items per second. It seems to make virtually no difference whether my backup/syncing is on or off.