On and Off

Everything about computers and what makes them tick. Get help with yours here.
widgetwilk

On and Off

Post by widgetwilk »

At the moment every time I go to my computer I have to touch keyboard and/or mouse wait what seems like ages, then up on the screen comes this 'wonderful' scenic photo, I then have to click anywhere and my 'sign in' name appears, have to click on that,
Don't want to do that, never use to, just use to go to it. hit the mouse and my home screen/page appeared.
Also I don't seem to be getting screen savers, I have been to Personal setting and done all that, but nothing,

I keep blaming Win10, still love Win7 any idea's???

kasapres
Site Admin

Re: On and Off

Post by kasapres »

So...it sounds like you are either waking it up from 'Sleep' mode or 'Hibernation'----is that right?
Have you tried totally powering off then rebooting?

I ask because the log-in (among other) settings have been messed with during that last two Win 10 updates.
You may have to start from scratch with your choices---or try a system restore.

I'd suggest you do the latter...but only after noting all the current start up/log-in settings and then comparing them to the same settings after the restore...if only so's you'll know which to re-adjust if things don't get better.

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

What do you mean by ' powering off then rebooting' sorry to be thick, but do you mean turn the modem off, turn the power of to the computer,

young goat

Post by young goat »

This will tell you how to log in without a password
https://www.techjunkie.com/login-window ... -password/

This will tell you how to avoid having to log in again after sleep/hibernation
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prev ... ming-sleep

This program will make windows 10 look like windows 7
http://classicshell.net/

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Thanks young goat, think I will try a system restore, think your last link looks out of date.

kasapres
Site Admin

Post by kasapres »

What do you mean by ' powering off then rebooting' sorry to be thick, but do you mean turn the modem off, turn the power off to the computer,

Yup. Turn the power off.
There must be a button or switch you have to push to turn the power on.
Conversely, one you have to push and hold down to power off.
That one.

Or click the Start button (globe) lower left and choose 'Shut Down'.
You may have to use the arrow (bottom right of new pane) to scroll to 'Shutdown'

Once done, you'll have to do more than just wiggle the mouse to fire it back up.

Failing that--and only after you have closed all windows and/or put the beast to sleep---actually pull the plug from the mains.

Then power it back up...as in, reboot, if you will.

YG has given you a couple of good pages that are worth reading through.
You might still need some of the info after your system restore.

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Yep, do that every night, start/power/shutdown, turn of plug to computer, leaving plug to modum still on.
I think you could be right about updates, in win7 I could choose which updates I wanted, most times only had ' essential' not all the ' optional' ones, but in Win10 don't seem to have that.
Will do a system restore later.

young goat

Post by young goat »

widgetwilk wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 pm
Thanks young goat, think I will try a system restore, think your last link looks out of date.
Yes, the program hasn't been updated for a while but it still works and makes Windows 10 look like Windows 7. It doesn't change the Operating system, just the way the START Menu appears.
Some folks sometimes find changes hard to adjust to when we get older ! Personally, I find the Windows 10 START menu hard to get on with so I use it on all my Windows 10 PC's.

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Great just done that Classic Shell, brilliant, start up menu as it use to be,

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Done System Restore, took age's, had to reinstall the Classic Shell again, but almost sure I have got rid of the open/start problem I had, so looks like it might be up-dates, so is this going to happen every time? and how can I control updates, ?
thank for your help,

young goat

Post by young goat »

Updates in my experience, very rarely (if ever)change system settings because they are a preference or a personalisation so follow the instructions I gave in the other two links re. the logging in preferences and it should stay like that indefinitely :thumbs-up:

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Trying your second one YG and this is what I get, not like the image What I get is on the left, and it should be what is on teh right.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 207 times

young goat

Post by young goat »

I am puzzled by that !
Here are my thoughts.
Have you scrolled all the way down the page on your "Settings" page and checked for "Require Sign In" ?
(If you find it click the arrow in the box and select NEVER)

Maybe you have Windows 10 Home and the layout is different (I have encounterd this before that Home and Pro in some Windows Operating Systems have different layouts and options)

I have checked all my Windows 10 (Pro) PC's and they all have Windows 10 version 19/09 (which is the latest version) and show the same as the website. The website article is dated 19 Oct 2016. Perhaps your version older than that ?

To check what version you have click START and RUN and type winver in the box and click OK a small window will open showing what version of windows you have.
If you have a version before 2016 follow the information from this website to update it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... the-update

That website says you should be able to get it from Windows Update (Settings-Update and Security-Windows Update-Check for Updates)
but if it's not offered use the Windows Update Assistant
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Got your PM.. no problem,
version is Win10 version 1909, [bit old!!]
Can't get this at all,
[Have you scrolled all the way down the page on your "Settings" page and checked for "Require Sign In" ?
(If you find it click the arrow in the box and select NEVER)

might try that up date web site tomorrow, it was a free version of Win10 I got from somewhere,
thanks a lot, might keep you up to your PM, thanks

Just had Tesco delivery,

young goat

Post by young goat »

I'm speculating and thinking (writing) out loud !!
Perhaps if it was free it was a 'cut down' version or an OEM version from a PC manufacturer or similar ?

widgetwilk wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Just had Tesco delivery,
Was it a boy or a girl ? Are mother and baby doing well ? !! :opps: :-o

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Just had Tesco delivery,
[/quote]
Was it a boy or a girl ? Are mother and baby doing well ? !! :opps: :-o ha ha
[/quote]

I'm trying to find/remember where I got it from but no luck,

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

this is it
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 188 times

young goat

Post by young goat »

you posted while I was composing ......
The copy you have, did it come with preinstalled 'extra programs' or things from a PC Magazine or manufacturer eg Dell, Toshiba, HP etc ?

If so and it were mine I would give thought to downloading a copy from Mcrosoft and doing a repair install (saving all the personal stuff of course !! using the same serial keycode that the present install has), so as to get rid of what just might be unwanted, lacking or dubious

You can get a new copy for free from the Windows Update Assistant
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

You may only get a copy of Home though and I don't think it can be upgraded to Pro without paying for a new licence.

I had HP OEM copies on some of my PC's and I overwrote them with a copy from Microsoft
However thats just my personal quirkiness because I hate OEM junk ! :geek:

young goat

Post by young goat »

I downloaded and installed on one of my computers a copy of Windows 10 Home and tinkered around with it for a few days just to familiaise myself with it. With regard to the option to turn off "require sign in when PC wakes up from sleep", It was the same in my copy of Home as in my copy of Pro.
Which again makes me think you have a 'cut down' version. It would be difficult to discover what else you are missing so I suggest you go to:-
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
download the media creation tool, and save it to your computer.

Before you run it, write down your serial key code and have it ready. You can find your code using Belarc Advisor.
https://www.belarc.com/AdvisorDownload
I did not need to input a serial code but it's best to be prepared in case it asks for one.

When you run the media creation tool choose the option to "update your present install", select "Upgrade this PC now" That will download a new copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. When it's ready to install double check that the option keep personal files and apps is selected then click on install.
This will take some time and your computer will restart several times. when it's finished you may have to select your preferred options. It will download some updates automatically but you should also go to Settings Update and security and check for updates there.

When it's all finished you should have a new and complete copy of Windows 10 including the option to to turn off "require sign in when PC wakes up from sleep"

I have done all the above on my own PC and it worked fine for me

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

thanks will do it tonight, fingers crossed

young goat

Post by young goat »

It will take about an hour to an hour and a half.

widgetwilk

Post by widgetwilk »

Have the 'tool' in downloads, and bookmarked the page, but am still thinking about it, am a great, 'if it's not broke, don't mess with it' and to be honest, it is only the 'wake-up' bit that I find annoying, and for some unknown reason, it does not happen every time I leave the computer, al least I have the answer if it does really get on my nerves, I do appreciate all the help I get here.

L.16

Post by L.16 »

Not trying to hijack this thread in any way, but whilst WW is having a think about things, can I just thank YG for the information provided. Must admit the logging-in requiring a password was starting to get on my nerves. Living alone, it seemed totally unnecessary. The very rare occasion when a good friend of mine needed to use the pc was always when I was present.

The link from Techjunkie saying how to get rid of the hassle of having to use a password has worked beautifully for me for the past 3 days.

Thank you and good luck WW :clapping: :flowers:
I never shoot a rattlesnake that doesn't bite me first

Win10 Home Premium; MWB Pro; WinPatrol; Win Defender; SpywareBlaster; Mailwasher Pro

young goat

Post by young goat »

Thank you. :happy:

modeng2000

Post by modeng2000 »

L.16 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:16 pm
Not trying to hijack this thread in any way, but whilst WW is having a think about things, can I just thank YG for the information provided. Must admit the logging-in requiring a password was starting to get on my nerves. Living alone, it seemed totally unnecessary. The very rare occasion when a good friend of mine needed to use the pc was always when I was present.
I took a different view about passwords. My laptop is totally encrypted so thai should it go wrong my files etc are safe from amybody trying to repair it.
Yes, it sometimes it is a pain when first starting the laptop but I have the comefort of knowing that everything will be safe should it have to leave my posession for repair or if some low-life takes a fancy to it.

John