It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Winows 7 to Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:55 pm 

Being a "die hard" who up till now has resisted change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I am now faced with "Having Too". So what are the main problems, and if I want to save "Photo's-Documents" which just in case go missing, what's the best way of saving these just in case there is a Problem when converting?

And please, as one of an "advanced age", any answers please assume in your posting it's to an "older persons mind" who has so far retained much of the Brain power, but it still has it's moments. :smiles:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 pm 

I would play safe and save them to a memory stick, then repost after the upgrade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:01 am 
Site Admin

I concur.
Save anything you may want to transfer to your new W10 to a safe and accessible location.
I'd recommend copying specific folders, documents, photos etc. to a separate hard drive--or, as andsome suggested-- to thumb drives.
In fact, if you have the capability (and the program necessary), I'd suggest you make a complete back-up (or better yet, a clone) of your Windows 7 to a separate location (as in, NOT on the hard drive you'll be filling with Windows 10).
After you've made the transition to Win 10 you can then cherry-pick the items from your back-up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:23 am 

My thanks to both, will do. Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 pm 

Have you done it wolf?? if so did you get a free download of Win10 if so where???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

There are (supposedly) several ways to still obtain the free Windows 10.
Have a thorough read through:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-free-upgrade-2018/

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-th ... -for-free/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 pm 

widgetwilk wrote:
Have you done it wolf?? if so did you get a free download of Win10 if so where???

Yes I have "Converted" and as yet, no real problems. However I did take the advice and did "copy" everything on to a "stand alone Memory device". However I need now to get a "Computer" or such where I can run that Memory device. Sadly (only a very minor point) I did like the Solitary and Patient card games which now I find can't work on Windows 10, and those that do are in my mind "over the top".
I have be honest as well, although the excellent advice and help given by "kasapres " was I have no doubt OK for the majority, bearing in mind when you reach an age of dare I say over 80, I found a guy who "did the business" while I watched and now all seems OK and I have retained what was and is left of my "Ancient mind". :wink4: .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:46 pm 

Age is only a number not an excuse :happy: :happy:
Glad you got 'it' at last, I am still struggling a bit with e-mails, will sort it or put up with it,
as for Games, if you go to the windows icon, bottom corner left, mine comes up and in there is Solitaire and 'other' games, have not had time to try any :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:03 pm 

widgetwilk wrote:
Age is only a number not an excuse :happy: :happy:
Glad you got 'it' at last, I am still struggling a bit with e-mails, will sort it or put up with it,
as for Games, if you go to the windows icon, bottom corner left, mine comes up and in there is Solitaire and 'other' games, have not had time to try any :shock:

Age might be a number, for those that have yet to "gain" an age, but for those that have made it or rather "got there" believe me, there are times. :wink4:
E-Mails seem ok, it's just where with 7 it was (after years of practise) fairly easy to just "press a button" now one is concerned that if the wrong button is pressed, "a swift glass of the hard stuff is required". :wow:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 pm 

Oh dear, just keep pressing buttons and have a swift glass, that life sounds alright to me, :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:46 am 

One point. I had Checkers and solitary on my Windows 7 (which playing sometimes kept me sane). Now still trying to "download on to Windows 10. Please anyone have pity for an aged one and explain how I can download these two "life" savers to my now windows 10. :flowers:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:47 am 

Checkers, think you would have to go on-line to play, this site looks harmless.
http://www.playboardgameonline.com/checkers-games/

And if you mean Solitaire, it is on Win10, go to little window icon, bottom left, click on it and a little square should be there saying Microsoft Solitaire Collection, looks a lot of games in there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:11 pm 

Hope this helps.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get- ... windows-10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:50 pm 

widgetwilk wrote:
Oh dear, just keep pressing buttons and have a swift glass, that life sounds alright to me, :laughitup: :laughitup: :laughitup:

Well, where as "age" takes you into a world of "how did I do that before", now one has to think of before that age, and needs that "swift (or not so swift) glass which has effect that where things were so much easier before, a glass (or may be a couple) allows one to "walk fast" as apposed to try and run :happy: