It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: firefox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 am 

Attachment:
firefox.jpg
firefox.jpg [ 22.05 KiB | Viewed 569 times ]
Just started trying out fire fox no idea what password it keeps asking for see above

(bob12a)

Post subject: Re: firefox
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:59 am 

This is the password you have set to allow you to log into sites automatically when you have allowed Firefox to save the passwords. You will have set this via 'Options' 'Privacy & Security'.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 24.64 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Seabea wrote:
This is the password you have set to allow you to log into sites automatically when you have allowed Firefox to save the passwords. You will have set this via 'Options' 'Privacy & Security'.

What he says. :)

Probably one or more of the links on your screen requires a password to sign in, hence the request for the master password.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:14 am 

Thanks both of you
I am still getting master password required is the master password the one i use for FF or the one I use for site I am trying to get to.
I am now getting

Attachments:
Annotation 2019-08-10 080013 ff03.jpg
Annotation 2019-08-10 080013 ff03.jpg [ 18.27 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:01 am 
Site Admin

That log-in pop-up appeared because you have the 'Use a Master password' option enabled.
If you would rather it not use that option, UNtick that line.

However, using a master password (which creates, remembers, and inserts a different and hard-to-crack password specific to that site on your behalf after you type in your username/email address/whatever) is a much more secure method.

If you would rather go back to inserting separate usernames AND separate passwords for each site you visit, I'd recommend leaving the 'Ask to save logins and passwords for web sites' ticked.
Firefox will record and recall all the usernames and passwords you have chosen, which will save you from having to remember and recall each and every username/password combination (you do use different ones for each site and change them frequently...right?)
When accessing a site, you will still have to recall and insert the username. Firefox will then insert the related password automatically.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 am 

Thanks Kas

I Will be studying all that answer later in the mean time for information

(you do use different ones for each site and change them frequently...right?)

I have used LASTPASS PRO for years to keep an eye on all my passwords and am slowly changing (using LP) all my passwords to the safe ones created by (LP)
Bob

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 am 

Bob. If you use a Password Manager such as LastPass Pro (I use 1Password7 on my Mac) to create and store all your passwords etc you do not need to save any passwords in Firefox - defeats the object of using a password manager which is the more secure way of storing and using all your site logins etc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 pm 

THanks Hal

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:53 am 

Direct from FX as explained elsewhere in this post as well

If you’re using AVG Internet Security, (I Have removed AVG and all its references to it still no joy) its certificate might be causing Firefox to ask you for a master password every time you start Firefox.

To resolve this problem, you must first deactivate your master password and then reactivate it:
1. Click the menu button

and choose Options.
2. Click Privacy & Security in the left panel and go to the Logins and Passwords section.
3. Remove the check-mark from the box next to Use a master password.
4. Close Firefox:
Click the Firefox menu

, then click Exit.
5. Open Firefox again.
6. Repeat the above steps 1 and 2.
7. Reactivate a master password by selecting the checkbox next to Use a master password and enter a password in the window that opens (use a previous or different password).
8. Close Firefox:
Click the Firefox menu

, then click Exit.
When you next start Firefox, it should not ask you for your master password unless it's needed.

From <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-keeps-asking-me-master-password>

Problems still
tried completely removing FX in order to reinstall
I am being told I have fx already when I try to re install

is it safe for me to try looking into the hidden files (I will need help with this)

BIG THANKS TO ALL SHIPMATES WHO ARE HELPING ME

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 pm 

Bob: Here's how to completely uninstall Firefox from Win 10: -
https://www.isunshare.com/internet/how-to-uninstall-mozilla-firefox-completely-windows-10.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:30 am 
Site Admin

If, as the above article instructs, you attempt to remove all references to 'Firefox' and 'Mozilla' (which must happen for a completely 'clean' removal...and you will likely 'find' several hundred, if not a thousand or more related entries), be very careful what you delete.

If you are not 110% sure what any registry item is, leave it alone.

In fact, if you are not completely confident operating within the registry, I would caution you not to enter therein.
Wrong moves within the registry can render your system and/or many programs, components and processes inoperable.
I know of no quicker way---short of using a hammer---to turn your computer into a boat anchor.

Using an uninstallation program like Revo or Advanced Uninstaller should be all the tools you need to get most (if not all) the critical files removed.
I usually follow up with a scan via 'Everything'---which will pick up the odd straggler when you ask it to suss out the right terms, names.

That said, why is a complete scrub even necessary?
Has something catastrophic happened within Firefox?
Or are you simply stuck trying to 'adjust' the password manager?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:11 am 

Attachment:
Annotation 2019-08-17 072609.jpg
Annotation 2019-08-17 072609.jpg [ 83.06 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
THanks for words of wisdom Kas and Hal

Or are you simply stuck trying to 'adjust' the password manager?
Yes Kas no 1 post in this article keeps popping up whenever I am using fire fox I have no idea WHAT MY MASTER PASSWORD IS.
Bob

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 am 
Site Admin

Seems this might be a 'baby with the bathwater' situation.
Hopefully, you are not too far along with all your removals and re-installs cuz---well---they likely weren't really necessary.

First, let's establish some basics:
--Does that pop-up request happen upon every system boot-up or only when you click on a webpage (eg. activate your web browser)?
--Is Firefox your default browser? (to check, see instructions below)
--Have you disabled any and all other browsers---especially Edge (which is the default for Windows 10 unless you have configured otherwise).
--Are you using more than one password management component, add-on, program or browser feature? (you did mention you've been using Lastpass and intimated AVG had something similar).
--Have you disabled all other password management components, add-ons, programs or features?

If you are using more than one password manager, you may have to uninstall/disable them all (including Lastpass, anything related to password management in AVG or any other program and in Firefox) then start from scratch.
Also check to see if Windows 10 (or any add-ons you may have installed) includes anything related to password management. and uninstall or disable it/them.

I agree that using Lastpass might be the better option....in which case, go to the Firefox Privacy and Security page an UNtick the relevant items.
However, if you opt to stay with the Firefox as your default browser and use the included Firefox password manager, disable and remove Lastpass.
After doing the relevant 'clean up', completely reboot your system.

To check or to make Firefox your default browser, open Firefox> go to Tools> Options> General tab and TICK 'Always check if Firefox is your default browser'.
Exit Firefox completely then open it again to the same page/tab. There should now be a note stating 'Firefox is currently your default browser'.

Once Firefox is your default browser:

As mentioned above, that 'master password' request might appear every time you open Firefox if:
1. You have somehow enabled the Firefox 'Sync' option. (see: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1039575)[/b].
or
2. Your system boots up directly to your web browser and therefore to your homepage
If said homepage requires a password, when your default web browser (be it Firefox or some other) opens, the request will, of course, pop up automatically.
or
3. Similarly, you click to open a web page which requires a password (thus activating your web browser), that pop up will appear.
4. If you have your browser 'master password' component enabled (or are using some other password manager like Lastpass) and you click to open a web page, the same request would appear.

If it relates to some other password management program (as in, not the Firefox component) then to stop the request from appearing you will either have to disable/uninstall the master password program involved.
If, however, you wish to continue using the Firefox password manager (or whichever other password manager program/component you choose), it would be much simpler just to reset the master password (then write it down so that you can retrieve it when necessary)

If you are using Lastpass or some other password manager, please Google 'stop/un-install/disable/reset master password for XXX'. (choose one)

If you are using some other browser--as in, not Firefox--as your default browser, Googl 'disable the password manager for XXX' or 'reset master password for XXX'

Unfortunately, when resetting the master password for Firefox (and many other password managers), you will lose all the recorded usernames and site-specific passwords you have established to date.
That said, if you have been dumping/removing Firefox per stated in this thread so far, those username and password records are already long gone.
Either way, you will have to rebuild that list from scratch---so I hope you can remember the usernames and passwords you chose for each separate site or are willing to use each sites 'password reset' procedure.

With all that said---and if you are staying with Firefox as your default web browser:

1. Disable or discontinue the 'Sync' option. (see: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1039575)

2. To possibly resolve the homepage password request issue easily:
---Open Firefox then go to Tools> Options> Privacy and security
---Scroll to the 'Logs-ins and passwords' section
---TICK 'Ask to save log-ins and passwords for websites'
---As recommended long ago, UNTICK 'Use a master password'.
---Now click on 'Saved passwords'
---In the new box that opens, click on 'Show passwords' then confirm when asked.
---In the list that opens, scroll to and remove the entry related to your Firefox homepage )(and/or whichever other webpage has been displaying that password request) using the 'Remove' button bottom left.

Next time you go to that/those website(s), you will have to log-in and/or reset the password using their procedure.

Again please note: If you choose to reset the Firefox master password, all recorded entries in the existing password list will be erased---which means you will have to start from scratch with the log-ins for each website (per above).

3. To reset the Firefox master password:
---In the Firefox address bar (the www.----- box at the top of this page), type in the following:
chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul
---Press Enter.
---When the 'Reset Master Password' page appears, click the Reset button and follow the steps.
---WRITE DOWN (and squirrel away?) the new master password---just in case another memory lapse happens (quite common for me, BTW)

Let us know how you get on.

Once again, I would like to recommend that everyone reading this PLEASE install 'Autoruns for Windows'
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns
Many of the issues we discuss in this forum could be far more easily rectified (as in, with one or two clicks) using Autoruns.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:58 am 

Now that's a lot to study Kas thanks

Autoruns now downloaded
Once again, I would like to recommend that everyone reading this PLEASE install 'Autoruns for Windows'
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns
Many of the issues we discuss in this forum could be far more easily rectified (as in, with one or two clicks) using Autoruns.

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Bob,

Please re-read my diatribe above. I have made several edits.

Good on ya for installing Autoruns. Be sure to place a shortcut on to your desktop:
---Open the Autoruns folder
---Right-click on Autoruns.exe (or Autoruns64.exe if yours is a 64-bit system)
(note: NOT the xxxsc.exe version).
---Choose Send to> Desktop (Create shortcut)

Now click on the shortcut then on the Everything tab---and have a look at the list that comes up (to familiarize yourself).
The items that are ticked automatically start every time you boot up your system---whether you need/want them to do so or not.
Do NOT make any changes thereon just yet, OK??

Don't be nervous. Nothing terrible will happen....and, if something inadvertently does, it is easily reversible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 am 

Morning(uk) Kas :wave:

[b]chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul[/b]

Appears to have solved it
I am now moving around FF without constant asking for master password
Touch wood my passwords in lastpass look safe as well

Autoruns amazing me every time I open it from may desktop

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Gald to hear.

Enjoy Firefox----and check out some of the available add-ons and extensions. They can really enhance and secure your Firefox experience.

I use several and recommend:
HTPPS Everywhere---automatically use HTTPS security on many sites.
Adblock Plus---free ad blocker
[b]uBlock Origin---an efficient blocker. Easy on CPU and memory.
Privacy Badger[/b]--automatically learns to block invisible trackers

.....as well as several other 'not security-related' extensions--like
EXIF Viewer
Worldwide radio
Colourful tabs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am 

Thanks Kas wonder why it has taken me so long to start using FX**

Thanks for the add ons
Expect others in the life boat have there OWN favourites

=====================================

**Reason for not using FX in past I used to keep getting and gave up
ps still getting it
Gah. Your tab just crashed.
We can help!

Choose Restore This Tab to reload the page.
Will you help us?

Crash reports help us diagnose problems and make Firefox better.
Report this tab
Send an automated crash report so we can fix issues like this.

(bob12a)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm---never having had those notices pop up, I'm at a loss how to direct you....other than to suggest you Google the terms mentioned (and mention Firefox, of course) and see what other folks have done.
Cuz when I did, this showed up. Turns out it might be an issue with your Firefox profile conflicting with a new version/release---and there are steps you can take to address it:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/gah-your ... in-firefox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:08 pm 

I will have a go thanks for link Kas
Bob

(bob12a)